You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-09 18:04:01

junkman351

Internet woes

I'm fairly new to Arch and thus far I prefer it over all the other distros I've tried, except for one problem.

Before I get to it I would like to point out I used to run Crunchbang and downloaded many a 10+gb torrent without the slighest problem.

My problem is torrent downloading with Arch. For whatever reason it seems to choke my modem up. The torrent will start out nicely,
then over time, usually a few minutes, it will choke and then cause my modem to reset. After it reconnects my torrent downloading goes
back to normal until the next disconnect. I've narrowed it down to torrents, as I downloaded a few distros direct with the torrents paused and I could get up and over 800kbs without my modem choking and resetting.

I've tried lowering the amount of connections and it doesn't seem to help. I also changed some firewall settings on my modem to no avail.

I haven't tried calling my ISP(AT&T) yet as I want to confirm if the problem is on my end first. At first I thought it might be the ISP but I've tested without the torrents going and I can game online for hours on end without even a hiccup in the connection. Start a torrent and its nearly impossible to get in a single game of CoD without timing out.

Since I'm still an Arch noob I was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this, that I may not know of, and If anyone else has had similar problems. I'm almost certain it has something to do with Arch seeing how the problem didn't exist 4 days ago when I still ran Crunchbang.

Also if it matters I connect via wifi with this system.

Any additional information you guys may need simply ask and I will provide. Thanks.

#2 2010-06-09 18:32:50

lucke

Re: Internet woes

What torrent client are you using and what were you using in crunchbang?

-edit-

You should try liming the number of connections.

Last edited by lucke (2010-06-09 18:34:41)

#3 2010-06-10 04:24:35

junkman351

I did lower the amount of connections. I never limited them in Crunchbang and never had a problem, with the same modem.

I've tried both Transmission(what i used before) and Ktorrent with the same results

Last edited by junkman351 (2010-06-10 04:26:06)

#4 2010-06-10 06:28:19

junkman351

So I decided to test and see if the problem persisted on a wired connection, however it does not. So it must be something to do with the Wifi connection. Ideas? Anyone?

#5 2010-06-10 08:04:38

Awebb

It is a problem with Wifi. My router always dies with too many connections. Did you use the former Ubuntu based #! or the new Debian based #! Statler? As far as I remember, Ubuntu has a built in connection limit to prevent such things from happening, but I'm not sure on this one.

Alternative: I use two routers, one for Wifi in the room I work in and the other one for the DSL connection. It seems like either high numbers of connections via WLAN OR an internet connection is possible, but not both. Get a better router. Or a second AP big_smile

#6 2010-06-10 08:17:36

junkman351

Is there some sort of file i can edit to change the the max number of connections for the wlan0 connection?

#7 2010-06-10 08:39:21

chpln

I'd start by ensuring modem firmware is up-to-date.

#8 2010-06-10 08:41:39

junkman351

It is up to date.

#9 2010-06-10 08:46:09

kazuo
Website

junkman351 wrote:

Is there some sort of file i can edit to change the the max number of connections for the wlan0 connection?

You probably want to limit it in the torrent client not on general (but this can be done too)

Another think that come to me is what card you have? I have a intel one and in the last kernel (from testing) I get some problems with n networks, only works with b/g, I disabled n network and all works ok. I need to try to solve this correct trough...

#10 2010-06-10 09:12:02

junkman351

Its an Intel 5100. My card itself supports N, but the modem only has B/G(2wire modem from AT&T).

The thing is I never limited my Transmission connections in Crunchbang(ubuntu based), in fact I maxed the connections out.

I've also tried lowering the amount of connections in Transmission down to under 50 and still nothing changes.

Its not just dropping connection for my laptop either, but the whole network. The internet and DSL lights flash red for a few seconds on the modem and the connection will restore itself in about 30 seconds or so.

Its highly annoying, but like I said the problem solves itself upon wired connection.

#11 2010-06-10 11:58:28

junkman351

Just gonna bump this...I don't come off the wrong way but I could really use some help here, as this will be the deal breaker for Arch if i can't figure out how to resolve this. I know there has to be some way but I lack the know how to accomplish it.

#12 2010-06-27 14:55:24

b9anders

I am bumbing this as I am experiencing the exact same problem. It's definitely a linux problem and it will affect the whole network for anyone connected to the wireless router.

I have an intel wireless pro 3945abg card.

#13 2010-06-27 16:18:41

mythus
Website

Sounds like a problem from the latsets kernel to me. Arch Linux uses more up-to-date kernels than Ubuntu Cruchbang and family. This plus what kazuo stated having a similar intel card sounds a lot like kernel issue.

Try downgrading to an older kernel. You could probably find it in the Arch Wayback Machine or an older repo if one is kept for it (try searching for those things on the forums/wiki). I once had to do that when I had an issue with a latest nvidia driver some time ago (it worked itself out later though). I am willing to bet that will solve your issues.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

Board footer