You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-10 01:57:48

BlackHat

Arch Linux as a development environment.

How many Archers use Arch for development? If so, what areas are you developing in? I am primarily into biomedical image analysis and I have begun to dabble in AI.

#2 2010-06-10 12:13:13

SiC

Re: Arch Linux as a development environment.

I use arch as a dev platform, it's no better or worse than any other Linux distribution, except maybe having more up to date packages.

For reference purposes, I develop in MATLAB mostly, and make extensive use of R and C apps, most recently I've started doing some GPGPU work using Open CL but i'm still learning, not hit any problems using Arch for any of this.

#3 2010-06-10 12:49:40

Trent

I do some amateur stuff on Arch -- all my professional coding (if you can call my Perl code professional, ha ha) is done on a Fedora box by SSH.  But I'm working on some CGI in Perl and trying to learn C++ on the side.  Not counting a few dozen scripts I've written to perform odd jobs (mostly Perl).

For my Web-dev environment, I have lighttpd with just mod_cgi and standard Perl.  Nothing fancy, but it works.

#4 2010-06-10 13:13:42

stqn
Website

More or less hobby stuff:
- a small platform game (D programming language, SDL)
- a GTK GUI to display dmd's profiling information
- trying to port the music composing software Musagi (C++, SDL, OpenGL) to Linux when I'm motivated enough.
- occasionaly trying to write Firefox extensions without success.

Last edited by stqn (2010-06-10 13:14:47)

#5 2010-06-10 14:11:06

samuele.mattiuzzo
Website

[1]university and [2]work development mainly, [3] hobby in my spare time

[1] Java (with eclipse), C (threads and semaphores, using vim), caml (vim again), octave

[2] lot of html / javascript / php / xml for collaborations with some companies and C / Processing language for my main job, which is developing for Arduino platform

[3] i'm using perl a lot to write my own command line scripts, trying something in LUA to develop something for awesome, and a lot of C related stuff (i'm actually learning the linux kernel...)

#6 2010-06-10 14:20:23

ralvez
Website

I do web and database development.
My primary languages are of course web based (HTML,CSS, PHP,JavaScript, jQuery, etc.) but I do a fair use of Python too.
I find that as a dev platform Arch (Linux actually)is great. I run my own Apache server and I can test whatever I'm working on before I put it into my client's server, so I know its going to work.
I also like the fact that it is easy to customize, so I can "emulate" different set ups that my customers have.

Perhaps the ONLY thing that some time I miss is the availability of software like Oracle DB or DB2 (OSS or is it called community?) in a packaged form. Yes, I know about AUR but some of those packages are old (read unmaintained), some I have installed and did not work at all and some you just cannot find.

Other than that Arch is fantastic !!

R.

#7 2010-06-10 14:52:04

Cyrusm

at work, we do all of our development (and therefore almost all of my development)  on the windows .NET framework, with our servers running RHEL. 

I've done mostly hobby developing on my Arch box at home, I don't see it being any better or worse than any other linux distro for this purpose imo.
I've done Java in eclipse, and everything else just with text editor and whatever compiler necessary using gnu make.  I've also found that linux is a great
platform for hardware and circuit development using the gEDA suite, and other tools for working with micro-controllers.  it's also my opinion that Linux tends to play well with an enormous variety of languages, interpreters, compilers, libraries, etc.  and also enables a person to consider cross-platform development when writing programs.  plus, by developing on linux, you earn a lot of nerd points, and that makes you nerd-cool. smile

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#8 2010-06-10 22:29:00

bremarv

Have used Linux for all my school programming and when I have finished made it run on windows. Last semester it was making a game engine in c++ with boost and this semester we learned about opengl 3, so we also used SDL 1.3.

Also recently started looking at python and I have played a bit with lisp earlier

"As a former philosophy major, it disturbs me to think that things disappear when no one is looking at them, but that's exactly what happens in Python" - Mark Pilgrim

#9 2010-06-12 01:49:16

BlackHat

Nice! Thanks for the reply's. I always like to hear what platforms other people use for development and the types of development they are into. Keep them coming!

#10 2010-06-12 17:54:41

bowlesling

I am still learnig alot, but what development I do is all in Arch: Java, Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and Python in Emacs mostly (with CEDET and JDE setup in emacs). I am also learning and using Lisp, Scheme, and Church; C++, and Prolog.

Most my projects are natural language processing and AI. 

I am new to the computational sciences. I switched over to Linux in general when I started to doing development. Like alot of people I started with Ubuntu, then moved to Fedora. Now I do everything in Arch. I run Ubuntu and Fedora on the same computer but haven't even finished their most recent updates (10.4, 13). I thinking about repartitioning to take out Ubuntu. Importantly, my Fedora OS has been the master boot since using Arch (for about 4-6 months now). I am kind of considering making Arch the master boot but I won't likely get to it any time soon.

Any problems I've had with Arch are minor. For example, I broke the screen on my laptop and been using a Dell flatscreen monitor for a few weeks. For some reason when I connect to one specific wireless router (a Belkin) everything freezes and I have to reboot by cutting power. Due to time I haven't diagnosed it yet. I dont have the problem as long as I stay off that specific wireless router. (!??)

#11 2010-06-12 18:57:38

choener

I am working on (single) RNA secondary structure as well as RNA family models. All my programs are written in Haskell using GHC. As all my stuff is cabal'ized (cabal is like pacman), it is distribution-agnostic which makes sense considering that we are not using Arch at our institute.

Vim user ;-)

#12 2010-06-12 19:01:57

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

On work I do a lot of development. Sadly it is about 50/30/20 Windows/Mac/Linux at this time as we are primarily focused on our Windows development at the moment and porting features to the other platforms is a bit of a secondary thing.

At home on my free time I develop quite a lot of stuff as hobbies, I've done stuff in most languages on most platforms. Mostly C++ and Ruby lately, playing around with a digital assistant that does home automation as well as taking care of both automated and on-demand tasks. I also work a bit on game development, I'm involved with a project that is still under an NDA as it is set to come out later this year.

My development environment on arch is Vim. It does absolutely everything I want it to.

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#13 2010-06-12 22:38:06

eldamar

On work i mostly work with Flex, PHP, XML, Java, CSS in Eclipse and notepad++ using Windows, there is really nothing quite as good as eclipse for developing in Flex, im currently trying to learn vim tho becouse there is some plugins for working with flex in there with omni-completion. If i could switch to linux at work i would, the only thing holding me back is adobes creative suite wich i really need to use.

At home i use Arch to learn more linux, Python, C++ SDL while also trying to learn vim.

#14 2010-06-13 09:36:23

jordi
Website

On work we're in a windows environment developing .net stuff using visual studio.

At home I use Arch only. Doing mostly python stuff in vim, although not that much anymore since I am trying to reduce the time I spend in front of the computer.

#15 2010-06-13 11:25:36

Anton

I have Arch installed as the only OS on my laptop, and it's what I use for development. I work with C++ in Vim and Geany currently, and I am considering installing Eclipse, Netbeans or CodeBlocks, just to try. On my desktop I have Windows Vista and Ubuntu and I have been doing development in both. It's just that I have discovered I enjoy working with Arch Linux while laying on my couch.

At work I use Windows exclusively and program in C, C++ and Java.

#16 2010-06-13 11:26:32

Allan
Pacman
Website

"Arch is what you make it".  If you want it to be a good development environment, make it so!

#17 2010-06-18 20:47:17

frodoontop
Website

I program Ruby (rubyripper project) in Arch Linux. To have quite up-to-date packages can be an advantage, but sometimes it breaks stuff too.

Programming tools are quite simple:
* a text editor with code highlighting (currently gedit, kate before)
* irb (a CLI program that interprets ruby on the fly)
* git

One rule I sometimes forget is that NOT updating when everything works should be something to consider more seriously. A stable environment is something necessary to be really productive. Before you know it, you are hunting the forums to fix some regression.

#18 2010-06-19 01:25:13

Themaister
Website

Allan wrote:

"Arch is what you make it".  If you want it to be a good development environment, make it so!

The good thing about Arch is that it requires little effort to make it a good development environment. big_smile

#19 2014-02-16 23:53:17

dakt

I use Arch for all our Python, Java and C++  projects.

#20 2014-02-17 00:23:42

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please don't necrobump old threads: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Bumping.27

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer