You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-10 07:59:32

ibnarrashid
Website

How would I get wireless working on this?

Subject of question: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a … 6834220698

Hi, occasional forum lurker and avid arch user here (though quite new), nice to meet you all.

My question is regarding the above linked netbook. I have installed arch on desktops at least a dozen times (a "bit" compulsively) without a hitch, but I haven't yet installed it on any notebooks/netbooks yet. I know from reading through the unofficial beginner's guide that it's mostly the same as with a desktop except in the small number of differences referenced in the article.

My biggest question is: How do I go about getting wireless support on this particular netbook? I haven't bought it yet, but it's the one I am planning to get, good bit of power without windows pre-installed (primary reason for choosing this). Does anyone know from experience or otherwise? Is it compatible? How would I go about the wireless setup? Should the beginner's guide suggestions for laptops and wireless setup work? Suggestions appreciated, thanx in advance.

#2 2010-06-10 08:22:43

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: How would I get wireless working on this?

There's no info there about the chipset used in the wireless device - you need to identify that, and then read the wiki's wireless page and/or other online resources to see what support it has under linux.

#3 2010-06-10 08:33:30

kazuo
Website

I googled for you =].

A review of 1201T send me to this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= … ostcount=5 so I'm assuming that 1201N have the same wireless card as 1201T, but I stopped googling now, your time smile

EDIT if is the correct card http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34281

Last edited by kazuo (2010-06-10 08:37:33)

#4 2010-06-10 20:31:11

ibnarrashid
Website

Thanx for the information, I should be able to get it from there. In my defense though, I was googling/searching the wiki around for at least half an hour before asking on the forums, just didn't get to the right bit of info.

#5 2010-06-10 21:09:31

tomk
Forum Fellow

A note of caution: you may still be lacking the right bit of info. kazuo's assumption that the two models have the same wireless device is just that - an assumption, not a fact. If you want to be thoroughly informed of the unit's wireless capability under linux, you need to do as first advised, and correctly identify the chipset.

#6 2010-06-10 23:28:13

ibnarrashid
Website

Yes, I realized that; that was the bit of info. I was primarily searching for before I asked on the forum. No site that I have come across seems to have that info. listed. I also assumed the two devices were the same after kazuo mentioned it. Maybe I will just have to buy the thing and then see the specifications for it; I know from reviews that it does work on Ubuntu and Fedora, so even if arch doesn't end up being compatible, I should have a failsafe.

#7 2010-06-11 04:48:21

ewaller
Administrator

The best way to be sure is to look at the output of lspci -v 
That should remove all doubt as to exactly which chipset it is. (unless, of course, it is a USB based device  -- then you would use lsusb -v )

Last edited by ewaller (2010-06-11 04:48:45)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2010-06-11 05:46:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

ibnarrashid wrote:

I know from reviews that it does work on Ubuntu and Fedora, so even if arch doesn't end up being compatible, I should have a failsafe.

Distros don't provide hardware support - the kernel and its drivers do. If it works in any distro, it will work in all of them.

#9 2010-06-11 11:56:51

kazuo
Website

tomk wrote:
ibnarrashid wrote:

I know from reviews that it does work on Ubuntu and Fedora, so even if arch doesn't end up being compatible, I should have a failsafe.

Distros don't provide hardware support - the kernel and its drivers do. If it works in any distro, it will work in all of them.

With some (partial) exceptions, for  example I remember that ATI sometimes provide new drivers only to Ubuntu. Of course you can rip it from the Ubuntu and use it (I think that its not legal, but, you can =]).

And a another example is when a distro patch a driver, from the kernel or from outside, to work for a certain device. If it is from the kernel, you can port the patch, but if this is a patch (in the general sense) for a not free driver and the distro had a agreement, you cant legally use it.

But, I agree that in general, if its work in one distro its work in any other, give the needed amount of time to port, lawyers and money.

Board footer