You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-10 20:49:30

IlPrincipino

Problem with Grub

Well, this is the first time I tried to install Archlinux and I had a problem with grub.
Before installing I red the wiki and I followed a guide in youtube, so there shouldn´t been any problem, but there is. It seems that Arch doesnt install the grub so it automatically starts in Windows and I cant access Arch. I tried to access with a grub cd, but when I put "detect OS", it doesnt recognize Arch, just Windows.
The problem that it doesnt install grub started to show up after I installed an extra HD, since when I tried to install Debian the same happened, but I could solved it using a grub cd, which in this case doesnt work.
I install the Grub in the sda, being sda1 a Primary Partition (Windows), sda2 a Primary Partition (ArchLinux), sda5 a logical (swap), sda 6 logical (a volume for information), and sdb1 logical (another volume for information).

Arch.jpg

Thanks in advance

#2 2010-06-10 22:25:58

nerditup

Re: Problem with Grub

If you've already got Windows installed and you want to install GRUB now to dual boot Arch and Windows, you need to tell GRUB where to install itself.

The easiest way to go about this is just use your partition manager in Windows to split your drive into two partitions. One for Windows, one for Arch. Don't create any other partitions from here.

Boot into the Arch Installation from CD or USB. Then from the command prompt (before starting /arch/setup), use cfdisk to further partition your Linux half of the disk. This is where you can create your /swap partition and what not.

Once the partitions are created load grub and install it manually with the following commands,

root (hd0,0)

This tells GRUB where the files are (usually one would setup a separate /boot partition). Next,

setup (hd0)

This will install GRUB to the MBR of the hard drive you would boot from.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB

Alternatively, these two lines of code are run from the /arch/setup during the "Install Bootloader" portion. The hard drives are configured in the menu.lst configuration file before it installs.

Last edited by nerditup (2010-06-10 22:30:25)

#3 2010-06-12 02:28:39

IlPrincipino

Re: Problem with Grub

Thanks. Ive just have to change the order in Bios of the disks. That was the reason the grub wasnt charging.

Board footer