You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-11 11:25:17

yabasta

tmux

i'm looking for a beginners guide to tmux or some documentation for newby types. can't seem to find one anywhere, and the archwiki conf file seems to throw up some sort of error whenever i try to use that ( line 17 the 'unbind [' seems to be lacking something.. sadly for once, the archwiki has let me down. i'm not bashing the arcch wiki by the way folks, its amazing and has helped me out countless times. So, once again i'd like to praise the archwiki and all who sail in her. Simply the best distro wiki i've come across in my short time 'nixing.
so anyway, if anyone knows of a good tutorial anywhere for tmux i'd be very grateful. im all googled out!!

Last edited by yabasta (2010-06-11 12:44:32)

#2 2010-06-11 11:44:28

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: tmux

You could start with one of the example configs, for instance Thayer's is pretty complete i think. They're included in the package and also viewable here:

http://tmux.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ … /examples/

Also "man tmux" is an extensive source for help and information.

In Tmux, "ctrl-a ?" (Thayer's config, default is "ctrl-b ?") will give you a list of all available keybindings.

If you find any useful additions for the Arch wiki, please be so kind to add them. :-)

Last edited by litemotiv (2010-06-11 11:47:29)

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2010-06-11 12:11:43

yabasta

thankyou for your speedy reply! smile i'm quite embarassed to admit this, but i might as well let you know where i was going wrong, for two reasons really.
1 - it'll give you all a laugh at my nooby ineptitude
2 - and just in case some unlucky sod makes the same silly maistake that i have and searches the forum for answers.
Weeeelll, the reason i couldnt get tmux to work at all - i spent four hours last night googling, swearing, sulking and generally denouncing god by the way - was something so simple. When i read that to perform a function, let's say create a new window for example. The instructions were to press C-b c. which i took for pressing ctrl-b and c all at the same time!!!
needless to say this did'nt work haha. Something so simple......yet not as simple as me it seems.

Other stupid mistakes ive made along the way have been to chnage my irc nick to 'newnickhere' on irc when and irc op told me to do /nick newnickhere, aaaand my favourite stoooopidness on a pc of all time. On purchasing my first pc many moons ago, going through the setup process i was asked to 'press any key now'. Can you guess where this is going? yes, i spent a good five minutes searching the keyboard looking for that '*&^^%*ing goddam any key' before that 1/2 watt lightbulb atop my head very faintly flickered.

And no i'm not a troll, honestly. Sooo, after that digression id like to thank you once again for your reply, and to say that now ive worked out the very basic concept of how to press the correct keys to work tmux, it really does look like a good bit of kit. No doubt i'll be back again at some point with another silly dilemma, thanks in advance for any patience shown my fellow archers!

#4 2010-06-11 18:31:48

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

haha, yes i agree that pressing all sorts of different key combinations can be a little weird and frustrating at first, especially with nested terminal programs. :-)

good luck!

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Board footer