You are not logged in.

#26 2010-06-15 17:24:48

Vamp898
Website

Re: Firefox vs. Chromium - The final verdict

This Benchmark is same mysterious than the GTKPerf Benchmark...

if i scroll by hand its lot of times faster than with this benchmark and the scroll is smoother.

Firefox wins for me in this Benchmark but scrolls slower than Chromium for me......i really doubt how this benchmark works!

#27 2010-06-15 19:21:01

paldepind

count-corrupt wrote:

But AdBlock and NoScript are mandatory for everyday internet stuff.

I've never understood why people care so much about them! I've tried both but I can't see why I should want them..

#28 2010-06-15 20:46:40

dcc24

paldepind wrote:
count-corrupt wrote:

But AdBlock and NoScript are mandatory for everyday internet stuff.

I've never understood why people care so much about them! I've tried both but I can't see why I should want them..

Ads are plain annoying, that's just that. Allowing any and all scripts to be executed, without you knowing about it is a security hole, a careless act and an unnecessary risk. If you trust the site you can allow script executions, if you are however, visiting a site for the first time, you should have all scripts disabled by default and allow them to be executed if you decide to trust the site.

Without NoScript anyone can execute any script (even the ones that steal sensitive information) without you ever knowing about it. So I think NoScript is a vital part of any kind of web browsing.

Last edited by dcc24 (2010-06-15 20:48:52)

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)

My AUR packages

#29 2010-06-15 21:18:06

rwd

People who say they need an adblock extension/plugin usually don't know that  privoxy or a custom hosts file +  custom stylesheet works just as well for blocking ads.

#30 2010-06-16 01:46:14

Vamp898
Website

So NoScript is an excuse for headless surfing?

#31 2010-06-16 17:41:36

choener

rwd wrote:

People who say they need an adblock extension/plugin usually don't know that  privoxy or a custom hosts file +  custom stylesheet works just as well for blocking ads.

Well, for uzbl I go with privoxy but it is easiert when you can just do a right-click on an Ad do block it.

#32 2010-06-17 12:38:32

bilboa

Firefox wins hands down for me. Chromium crashes more often than not (oh yay its only the tab crashing or freezing, sorry, but I'd rather not have the tab crash at all, and Firefox rarely ever crashes like that)
Firefox uses way less memory.
Firefox is much more customizable.
Adblocks actually blocks adverts, no "flicker" when you display a page while it's trying to hide adverts.
The javascript speed differences are unoticeable.

In the end what Chromium really offers me is quicker startup speed. But at what price..

#33 2010-06-21 05:38:12

Vamp898
Website

Btw. about Real-World-Browsing

http://classic.my.eyeos.org/

Its completely written in JavaScript and it gets more and more complex wink in the 2.0 Beta i already have mesurable speed differences between Firefox and Chromium

I know all Benchmarks are lie and everything that proofs that Firefox´s JS Engine is the slowest (except IE) but i think there is a point where people should accept that it is like it is

#34 2010-06-21 06:35:26

kokoko3k

Scrolling speed is still better in firefox with eyeos.
Try to open the browser app, maximize in fullscreen and then scroll with ff and chromium.

Help me to improve ssh-rdp !
Retroarch User? Try my koko-aio shader !

#35 2010-06-21 09:44:10

Gusar

Vamp898 you have some *really* weird notion of real-world browsing. Or are you saying you're using EyeOS on a daily basis?
I must say though, it works great in Firefox. No CPU hogging, extremely minimal stutter when moving windows. And this on an Atom processor! It's completely usable. Which impresses me quite a bit. But it's not all JS. The media player is Flash, for example, as is the file upload utility, and probably more. All sound is handled through flash too.

#36 2010-06-22 02:52:43

hunterthomson
Website

I agree that chrome dose feel way faster loading complex web pages. However, the reason I don't use it are these.

1. I hate the theme crap. I like the themes to match my desktop

2. Addblock Plus dose not work correctly in it. Like it doesn't block the ads in flash videos and it seems that all the Google ad's get though too. This is the real killer for me. I can't use the Internet if it has all though ad's.

3. No cookie management plug-ins do what I need them to do. Just in general there is a server lack of useful plug-ins. I need to be able to tell it not to save any web data. I need to turn off scripts and turn them on easily.

So, I use Ad free Firefox that looks good and is far more versatile then chrome.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2010-06-22 02:54:05)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#37 2010-06-29 09:57:19

Vamp898
Website

Oh and a last thing about the RealWorld Browsing

Take a look at HTML5 which uses JS very very much... would be better to have a fast JS Engine or wink (btw. Webkit does support HTML5 _way_ better than Mozillas Engine)

For me it looks like

Mozilla Firefox is the best now but its not that good with the view in the future

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-06-29 09:58:12)

#38 2010-06-29 10:13:56

archman-cro
Website

I also find Firefox the best for the reasons hunterthomson added and also cause I just don't see any difference between Firefox (sure, with some fixes in about:config) and webkit browsers like Chromium, uzbl or Midori. Many will say they really are faster, they pass various tests etc, but I just can't feel any differences. Don't know...and also, Firefox has so much features, and looks just like I want it to look, customized.
If you weigh possibilities and speed, Firefox wins, IMHO.

#39 2010-06-29 11:13:30

atomkarinca
Website

After months of using Chromium I can safely say that Firefox rulez smile It's rock hard stable and it can be suited for any task by its millions of add-ons.

#40 2010-06-29 11:35:43

Gusar

Vamp898 wrote:

Oh and a last thing about the RealWorld Browsing
Take a look at HTML5 which uses JS very very much...

Again, do you regularly browse these websites as part of your browsing routine, or are they just tech demos? Which sites are those exactly? And do you see a difference (a real difference, not just placebo) without looking at some graphs?

Vamp898 wrote:

Mozilla Firefox is the best now but its not that good with the view in the future

Ah yes, because where Firefox is now, it'll always stay there, right? roll

Since you like graphs so much: http://arewefastyet.com/ <- the black line, 'moz fv method JIT' is where the action is happening now. Look at the progress made in just two weeks. Very soon this engine might catch up with apple and google. That's not all though, that's just method jit. Tracing jit will also be getting the fatval treatment. Then watch what will happen when they combine method and tracing...

#41 2010-06-29 11:52:13

Cr0k

Does the chromium adblock plugin finally really block ads or just hide it ?

#42 2010-06-29 15:56:43

Vamp898
Website

For example youtube is aviable in HTML5

http://www.youtube.com/html5

right now there are only tech demos becease itsnot finished yet

There are browser benchmarks which test your browser in a visual and understandable way

http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/run.action

still you can say again "Its just a benchmark, something like that will never be true" on the other hand you can accept that Firefox just fails on that benchmark

Remember when Bill Gates said that Computers never need more than 640kb of memory or when people said that noboy will ever need/use Widgets. We all now that HTML5 will be a part of the future. Just imagine that HTML5 gets a finished standard and Chromium/Firefox accept it. YouTube and Google itself will be one of the first pages who switch to HTML5. So the Tech Demos you hate becease firefox fail on it will get real.

From a programmers view firefox is for sure not the best browser (just take a look at the code, especially the JS engines) and that is what cares in the future. Firefox will need a lot of Code-Rework until they can continue writing a lot of fancy features. Or they do it like they do it right now, less care about a future usable code and more care about "Getting the most used Browser right now"

Right now they are on a point where even the Mozilla Developers say "Our JS Engine is that slow that we going to use parts of the Webkits JS Core in the future if its not going better"

When even the own developer say that the JS Engine is to slow than fan-base should slowly start to accept that it is like that and that it is not good

And about the AdBlock feature. Right now only 0,0001% of all internet users care about it its really blocked or just not visible but more users care about speed.

Chromium/Chrome really increases in the number of users where firefox loses users right now... even Mozilla knows that and they talk about how to prevent that right now!

You can´t stop the future just becease it destroys what you like right now...

Last edited by Vamp898 (2010-06-29 16:03:41)

#43 2010-06-29 16:10:15

ozar

Firefox vs. Chromium - The final verdict

I posted in this thread earlier but each time I see the title, I think about the fact that there can't really be a final verdict as long as both applications are advancing and making improvements.  If one or both applications should stop with any further development, I believe it would be easier to establish a final verdict on a user by user basis.

That said, I remain a loyal Firefox user for now.  big_smile

oz

#44 2010-06-29 16:37:01

Gusar

Vamp898 wrote:

on the other hand you can accept that Firefox just fails on that benchmark

Again, in what way does that matter? Is your daily browsing handicapped because Firefox doesn't do well on peacekeeper, sunspider, v8bench? How exactly? That is the main point here, and you have completely failed to address it.

Vamp898 wrote:

So the Tech Demos you hate becease firefox fail on it will get real.

First, I don't *hate* tech demos. I just don't see why I should care about some pretty graphs or animations that have nothing to do with the actual web out there. Second, Firefox does not fail at them - note how I say above that EyeOS is completely usable in Firefox.

Vamp898 wrote:

Firefox will need a lot of Code-Rework until they can continue writing a lot of fancy features. Or they do it like they do it right now, less care about a future usable code and more care about "Getting the most used Browser right now"

I don't think you know what you're talking about here. Do the terms fatvals, JaegerMonkey, tracing mean anything to you?

Vamp898 wrote:

Chromium/Chrome really increases in the number of users where firefox loses users right now...

Not true. Chrome is gaining, yes, but not at the expense of Firefox. It's at the expense of Safari and IE.

Vamp898 wrote:

You can´t stop the future just becease it destroys what you like right now...

I can only repeat: Ah yes, because where Firefox is now, it'll always stay there, right? roll

Basically, you're ignoring everything I say (even the pretty graphs I've shows you) and instead went on a ramble where some things don't even make any sense.

#45 2010-06-29 16:42:19

toad
Website

Chromium brings my Arch with 4GB DDR3 RAM to a complete standstill - it gobbles up memory until nothing is left. And it only takes two to three hours with my standard work tabs open (six of them). Firefox doesn't and never had a problem with that.

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#46 2010-06-29 19:13:42

moonhead

Cr0k wrote:

Does the chromium adblock plugin finally really block ads or just hide it ?

it's my understanding that this is a webkit limitation that has not been solved.  so, we are looking at ad hiding opposed to ad blocking on chromium/chrome.

#47 2010-06-30 00:47:57

hunterthomson
Website

I still use firefox for the reasons previously stated but, I'd like to emphasize that I do agree chrome is vary noticeably faster then firefox. It is just that when it gets to the everyday life,... for me usability is far more important then speed. However, time will tell. I am sure more plugin's will be written for chrome and firefox will speed up.

If I had my choice I'd rather have Firefox with Chrome speed, as opposed to, Chrome with Firefox usability. Mainly because I hate the Chrome UI... I vary much dislike everything about it.

Last edited by hunterthomson (2010-06-30 00:55:38)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#48 2010-06-30 15:33:28

Staerseus
Website

Final verdict? Opera is much better :-) I don't like Firefox because of slow Xulrunner on KDE desktop. I don't like Chromium, because is is written in gtk+ (x my KDE desktop) an eats much more memory

Thanks for the GNU/Linux. EDIT:Thanks for the GNU/Linux, Linux guru, for the manuals and wikis.

#49 2010-06-30 15:54:18

Cdh

On my netbook I changed to chromium because Firefox does use too much cpu... WHEN IDLING!

Adblocking on Chromium is not very reliable ... (I use https://chrome.google.com/extensions/de … kbiglidom). At least the blacklist. I added *facebook* and when going to facebook.com it shows the page just normal.
Also it lacks a rss reader like sage (http://sagerss.com/). There's only slick rss which is not as good configurable...

Configuration is the biggest point: I want to disable the history completely. I also want to be tabs opened NOT in the background. Both is basic functionality any browser EXCEPT chrom* has.

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#50 2010-07-01 07:31:57

Google
Website

I think Uzbl is the best browser out there. I am loving it, and after a little more tweaking I will replace Chromium entirely.  I highly recommend it. It takes some getting used to, but it's incredibly fast and simple.

Other than Uzbl, Chromium gets my vote. I dropped FF over a year ago.

edit:

PS, I don't use adblock on Chromium or FF because it slows down browsing a lot. I use a fiber optic connection and it is much faster to load a page rather than load+compare to a block list and filter out.

Last edited by Google (2010-07-01 07:34:46)

Board footer