You are not logged in.

#226 2022-09-04 08:46:27

Roken

Re: How do Archers play their music?

Typically, I put a vinyl record on the turntable, turn on the pre-amp and amplifier, start the turntable and then gently lower the stylus on to the platter.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#227 2022-09-04 11:26:12

Epp

lpr1 wrote:

Clementine is a good player, it doesn't really lack anything compared to best Windows based players, plus it's FOSS. But, you didn't name one of the best players = "Quod Libet", try it, I don't think you will regret it, for me, it is the best player.

Ok, thanks for the advice for "Quod Libet".

Today I started using Audacious. I think it's a great looking program. With all the features I mentioned above for Foobar.
Audacious seems a perfect replacement for Foobar so I might not try "Quod Libet".

It's not that I am looking for a discussion. Clementine does not really do it for me because it stops playing after a few pauses (play button does not work anymore).
This was the case on Ubuntu and now on Arch (with a new GPU and a new CPU and a fresh Arch install on a new SSD). 

Sorry I came in a little too loud. I spoke too soon and based on just 2 small bad luck cases.

Great day!

#228 2022-09-25 09:08:20

Linski

I like my music spiced with news. That is why I wrote a script that takes news from news podcasts. The script plays these news and music from my favorite mp3 playlists. That is why I use mpg123 a lot. And ffmpeg to trim news broadcasts. Have a look at my github page.

#229 2022-11-24 18:31:21

VoDo

Since I am an apple sheep I discovered Cider for apple music!
For stored music I use amberol

Archi3

#230 2022-11-24 20:56:09

twelveeighty

Linski wrote:

I like my music spiced with news

It's interesting how different tastes can be - news would actually be the LAST thing I would want to hear while listening to music. But I respect it and your efforts on Github, don't take it personal.

#231 2022-11-25 09:14:05

Awebb

Awebb wrote:

I say: "$GIRLFRIEND, how about some music? Some {electronic,metal,animesoundtrack,random} playlist, perhaps?"... and - POOF! - music.

A year later and a few updates, $GIRLFRIEND now supports the "Skip this song, please." and "Would you play that again?" commands.

#232 2022-11-25 10:57:17

mcloaked

Awebb wrote:
Awebb wrote:

I say: "$GIRLFRIEND, how about some music? Some {electronic,metal,animesoundtrack,random} playlist, perhaps?"... and - POOF! - music.

A year later and a few updates, $GIRLFRIEND now supports the "Skip this song, please." and "Would you play that again?" commands.

$GIRLFRIEND is useful though not infrequently she offers some weird music in response to a request - and I need to "$GIRLFRIEND, please STOP" and re-issue a differently phrased 'request' instead.  If you are into ballroom and Latin dance music it can get tortuous, unless you have your own playlists! But on the laptop I mostly resort to VLC playing my own playlists of music I 'know' I will like!

Mike C

#233 2023-05-02 20:57:55

tdtooke

I usually play records on my stereo.  I still have my old stereo with the tower speakers from back when that was a thing.  On the laptop I do sometimes use Amberol.  I like that I can just open a folder with it.  I tend to be an entire album kinda guy.  It literally bothers me sometimes hearing songs not in the order they are in within the album they're from.

Edit:  Anybody else think it's weird Amarok isn't around anymore??  The last time I was a linuxer having no Amarok would be unthinkable.

More Edit:

Roken wrote:

Typically, I put a vinyl record on the turntable, turn on the pre-amp and amplifier, start the turntable and then gently lower the stylus on to the platter.

I have considered upgrading to a more modern setup.  I know buying a separate pre-amp is a lot more prevalent now.  Not sure I'll do it, but I've googled it enough.

Yet more edit:

I just looked at Linski's github link.  I think FunkRadio should be a script that plays 'One Nation Under a Groove' on repeat.  Just me though..

Last edited by tdtooke (2023-05-02 21:23:52)

#234 2023-05-03 19:08:47

Fuxino

My music folder is organized by artists, with subfolders for each album. On Arch I use mpd+ncmpcpp to play music, while on Windows I'm using MediaMonkey (same on Android phone).

#235 2023-05-03 20:00:28

icar

flatpak run com.spotify.Client

#236 2023-05-09 14:30:24

sekret

I have a large music collection offline of about 60000 songs, which is 99% in the flac format, on my external drive. I've converted the entire collection to opus with 192 kbps and uploaded it to 1fichier, which I use as a cloud service. And I have it converted to opus with 96 kbps to my SD card (edit2: which I put into my old android phone if I want to have my collection with me) Sometimes my external drive is connected and mounted to my laptop, sometimes to my media center, which runs kodi on archlinuxarm and which I mount on my laptop aswell.

I love to have a shuffle playback of the entire collection. Moc, which I normally use, allows this aswell (edit: but moc doesn't support replaygain, so not as nice), but I have a key combination which runs the following script, which is quite nice.

#!/bin/sh

if [ -d "/run/media/sekret/8000GB/musik" ]
then
 st -t "shuffle entire collection" -e mpv --no-video --no-audio-display --shuffle --replaygain=track "/run/media/sekret/8000GB/musik"
elif [ -d "/run/media/sekret/android/Music" ]
then
 st -t "shuffle entire collection" -e mpv --no-video --no-audio-display --shuffle --replaygain=track "/run/media/sekret/android/Music"
elif [ -d "/mnt/alarm/mnt/8000GB/musik" ]
then
 st -t "shuffle entire collection" -e mpv --no-video --no-audio-display --shuffle --replaygain=track "/mnt/alarm/mnt/8000GB/musik"
elif [ -d "/mnt/1fichier/Musik" ]
then
 st -t "shuffle entire collection" -e mpv --no-video --no-audio-display --shuffle --replaygain=track "/mnt/1fichier/Musik"
else
 notify-send "Keine Musik verfügbar!"
fi

I know that this script is horribly written with all the repetitions etc. I'm not a good coder!!! What I meant to show is the idea behind it.

Last edited by sekret (2023-05-09 14:37:37)

#237 2023-05-09 15:41:23

ugjka
Website

sudo pacman -S spotify-launcher

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#238 2023-05-09 18:40:41

Awebb

sekret wrote:

I have a large music collection offline of about 60000 songs, which is 99% in the flac format, on my external drive. I've converted the entire collection to opus with 192 kbps and uploaded it to 1fichier, which I use as a cloud service. And I have it converted to opus with 96 kbps to my SD card (edit2: which I put into my old android phone if I want to have my collection with me) Sometimes my external drive is connected and mounted to my laptop, sometimes to my media center, which runs kodi on archlinuxarm and which I mount on my laptop aswell.

I love to have a shuffle playback of the entire collection. Moc, which I normally use, allows this aswell (edit: but moc doesn't support replaygain, so not as nice), but I have a key combination which runs the following script, which is quite nice.

#!/bin/sh

if [ -d "/run/media/sekret/8000GB/musik" ]
then
 st -t "shuffle entire collection" -e mpv --no-video --no-audio-display --shuffle --replaygain=track "/run/media/sekret/8000GB/musik"
elif [ -d "/run/media/sekret/android/Music" ]
then
 st -t "shuffle entire collection" -e mpv --no-video --no-audio-display --shuffle --replaygain=track "/run/media/sekret/android/Music"
elif [ -d "/mnt/alarm/mnt/8000GB/musik" ]
then
 st -t "shuffle entire collection" -e mpv --no-video --no-audio-display --shuffle --replaygain=track "/mnt/alarm/mnt/8000GB/musik"
elif [ -d "/mnt/1fichier/Musik" ]
then
 st -t "shuffle entire collection" -e mpv --no-video --no-audio-display --shuffle --replaygain=track "/mnt/1fichier/Musik"
else
 notify-send "Keine Musik verfügbar!"
fi

I know that this script is horribly written with all the repetitions etc. I'm not a good coder!!! What I meant to show is the idea behind it.

Arrrrrr matey, black flag and sails set!

#239 2023-05-18 04:02:35

tdtooke

Arrrrr!  I'll share a script I find very useful when dealing with flacs.  I'm not a digital audio purist and I'm already listening over bluetoothed ear buds so I don't see the point, but I can appreciate that many love flac.  I usually batch convert them with:

#!/bin/bash
 for i in *.flac;
  do name=`echo "$i" | rev | cut -c6- | rev`
  echo "$name"
  ffmpeg -i "$i" -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 0 -map_metadata 0 -id3v2_version 3 "${name}.mp3"
done

The ffmpeg part is written by me, got the other bits here and there.  And my scripting is pretty lousy too, but you get the idea.

#240 2023-05-18 06:22:15

seth

fzfamp

#!/bin/bash

if (( ${#@} > 0 )); then
    /usr/bin/ls -1 "${@}" | fzf --multi --bind "enter:execute-multi(mpv.a {})" --preview-window=hidden \
            --preview=/usr/bin/false --layout=reverse-list -e --no-sort -d '/' --with-nth=-3.. --nth=..
else
    locate -i '/home/*.mp3' '/home/*.m4a' | fzf --multi --bind "enter:execute-multi(mpv.a {})" \
            --preview-window=hidden --preview=/usr/bin/false --layout=reverse-list -e --no-sort -d '/' \
            --with-nth=-3.. --nth=..
fi

mpv.a

#!/bin/bash
IPC_SOCK=/tmp/.$USER.mpv.a.socket
case "$1" in
    play)
    COMMAND='{ "command": ["set_property", "pause", false] }' 
    ;;
    pause)
    COMMAND='{ "command": ["set_property", "pause", true] }'
    ;;
    playpause)
    COMMAND='cycle pause'
    ;;
    next)
    COMMAND='playlist-next'
    ;;
    prev)
    COMMAND='playlist-prev'
    ;;
esac
if [ -n "$COMMAND" ]; then
    echo "$COMMAND" | socat - $IPC_SOCK > /dev/null 2>&1
    exit $?
fi
real_path="$1"
[ -e "$real_path" ] && real_path="$(realpath "$real_path")"
if socat -u OPEN:/dev/null UNIX-CONNECT:$IPC_SOCK >/dev/null 2>&1 && [ -e "$real_path" ] || [[ "$real_path" = *"://"* ]]; then
    echo -e 'loadfile "'$real_path'"\n{ "command": ["set_property", "pause", false] }' | socat - $IPC_SOCK > /dev/null && exit 0
fi
exec mpv --stop-screensaver=no --input-ipc-server=$IPC_SOCK --ontop --no-border --geometry=360x120-64+32 \
    --title='${metadata/by-key/title:${filename/no-ext}}' \
    --video-unscaled=yes  --force-window=yes --osd-on-seek=no --idle=yes --keep-open=yes --x11-name="linAMP" \
    --script-opts=osc-layout=box,osc-scaleforcedwindow=4.0,osc-visibility=always,osc-vidscale=no,osc-windowcontrols_alignment=left,osc-title='${metadata/by-key/title:${filename/no-ext}}' \
    "$@" >/dev/null 2>&1 &

#241 2023-05-22 00:26:47

Bicyforecastle

Now that both cantata and cantata-next are dead, I'm looking for an actively maintained MPD frontend that displays album art. Anyone got any leads?

For now, cantata is still chugging along just fine. I imagine it's only a matter of time until there's a breaking update, though.

#242 2023-05-30 11:25:18

305a385

I use mpd and a shell script I made (dependencies are mpd, mpc and wofi):

#!/bin/sh

mpc update -q
mpc repeat on

music=$(mpc listall | wofi --dmenu) # put to variable so current music wont stop
mpc 'clear' # removes current queue
mpc add $music

mpc play

I set up a key binding in hyprland:

bind = $mainMod, S, exec, /path/to/music/launcher

#243 2023-06-17 12:46:46

//////

i use Tidal web-player and sometimes youtube.

[AMD Ryzen 9 5900X] [ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING] [GeForce RTX 4060 Ti] [Ram 48GB] [ASUSTek Xonar SoundCard]

#244 2023-06-17 17:12:45

Awebb

mcloaked wrote:
Awebb wrote:
Awebb wrote:

$GIRLFRIEND is useful though not infrequently she offers some weird music in response to a request - and I need to "$GIRLFRIEND, please STOP" and re-issue a differently phrased 'request' instead.  If you are into ballroom and Latin dance music it can get tortuous, unless you have your own playlists! But on the laptop I mostly resort to VLC playing my own playlists of music I 'know' I will like!

Updates have since brought commands like "No Powermetal, please" and "Something without vocals, I'm trying to concentrate". However, the "turn music off" command is broken and it turns itself on again in 30 minute intervals.

#245 2023-07-29 13:51:07

obap74

Bicyforecastle wrote:

Now that both cantata and cantata-next are dead, I'm looking for an actively maintained MPD frontend that displays album art. Anyone got any leads?

gomp (terminal based) and ymuse (GTK GUI) both support cover arts.

Bicyforecastle wrote:

For now, cantata is still chugging along just fine. I imagine it's only a matter of time until there's a breaking update, though.

That's why I switched to ncmpcpp as far as I'm concerned. I miss the cover arts too but I'd rather use a maintained client. I know there are some hacky scripts to implement cover art support in ncmpcpp but they don't seem very reliable.

#246 2023-08-28 05:04:51

topasiss

I try to live with mpd.
It's so great for home listening and party remote control.
There is a lack of clients somehow.

I found Quetzalcoatl yesterday. It has recent updates, but needs an aur package. I didn't test it yet.

For android there is M.A.L.P. which is good.

For the desktop I also think: why not use Qantata? It is an official arch package. Why worry about things that are not yet happening?

I'll try to read this thread completely to find out why there is no need for (native) mpd clients anymore.

#247 2023-08-28 05:44:21

seth

There is a lack of clients somehow.

Sarcasm?

find out why there is no need for (native) mpd clients anymore

Sarcasm.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Music_ … on#Clients
And those are not nearly all.

#248 2023-08-28 12:17:43

topasiss

seth wrote:

Sarcasm?

No, not really.
Yes there are plenty, but I forgot to mention my (and I thought everyone's) requirements:

- native (not web based)
- maintained
- GUI (no terminal GUI)
- Playlist features (saving, loading, editing and similar)
- Playing queue editing (moving tracks, deleting single tracks and so on)
- Album art browser or at least showing it

I should fork one that is just unmaintained, I know.

#249 2023-08-28 12:31:49

seth

https://www.linux-apps.com/p/1130962
Still compiles on Qt5, might compile on Qt6 - it was mostly meant as experiment on dynamic GUIs but if there's enough interest and some butt kicking, I'll move it to github and maintain it there.

#250 2023-08-30 18:32:49

topasiss

I was a sailor under the black flag, too some time ago.
Then I realised that all my stuff is not well organised and often in bad quality which I could get in a better version on the web for free. I also had trouble to find MY music in that big library that I wanted to listen to. There was a lot of music that I kept around for others, when having a party or so.
I didn't want to spend the time anymore for keeping THAT SPACE for all these music files and to manage it with ReplayGain tagging and other things.
Another thing was that this collection was not as finely crafted as it would have been if would have been in a store store with all the possible music out there. No. It was all I could get and also not delete.

I made a cut one day and deleted all my music from the sailing trips. I keep a list of tracks and albums that were in there as text (or a spreadsheet). This is useful when I am searching that song I had back in the days.

After that I rebuild my collection from titles I had owned so far as digital downloads or CDs (Redownload or ripping from my CDs).
Now all this music was gone (at least from my hard drive) which was a relief. I was able to concentrate on my existing and owned music. I found all these albums I bought and I don't want to listen to and those I really love and which I listen to much more often since then.
This made me more picky when buying new stuff.
I searched for new stuff on the (web-)radio, using Spotify, but the best advice's came through friends or public shows.

That all in all was not an easy time - but I am happy I did it.

Being picky when buying new stuff got more dramatic when I went from the question "why does this release I just discovered on Spotify in my genre and I play on my good enough HiFi system sound so bad?" to one possible answer: the loudness war.
I had a hard time to realise what happens to music and that there is not much I can do about it, but I found my way out.

Today I still embrace digital over analog.
I try to buy music with good dynamics only. I save them on my PC as lossless files in CD quality.
My PC is in my living room and connected to a HiFi system.
I have an old (40 years old) HiFi power amp and a consumer studio sound interface (I use it for making music) which is connected to the power amp and acts as preamp. Good thing: volume can be adjusted by keyboard - bad thing when you forgot to turn it down before... ;-) I learned to handle it.

Music gets synced to my android phone using nextcloud (runs in the PC as podman container - and works around a separate NAS - yes online only when PC is on - it is on when we're home in the evening, which is even enough for the calendars to sync)
I tag it with r128gain (just realized it has been archived) to create ReplayGain tags.
I play them with ymuse and M.A.L.P. through mpd on the PC. (This thread made me discover DeaDBeeF which also has a remote control called beefweb - I check this out currently as replacement for mpd)

I mostly bought music on qobuz download store, but found that bandcamp is a nice place to find really amazing music (you have to filter) and support the artists a lot.
The bandcamp app is also good for discovering and keeping a collection but has no loudness normalisation.

I can suggest to take part at the dynamic range day of every year to check how the quality in terms of loudness is evolving. dynamic range day

Last edited by topasiss (2023-08-30 19:35:33)

Board footer