You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-13 00:27:49

foxtrot

Crash in UDev Events

So, running Arch on my girlfriend's Acer something laptop ... can clarify that if you want.
More often than not, during boot, it gets to "Processing UDev UEvents" then goes to two seconds of a pure black screen, then a grey screen with a blinking cursor in the middle.
You can type, but it does nothing. If you ctrl + C it exits and the boot process continues, but all of the runlevel three stuff fails because the filesystems are mounted read only and you can't log in.
The framebuffer resolution normally changes halfway through "processing udev uevents" to a higher resolution. This still happens even when it later fails.
I haven't actually seen this myself, because it seems to never happen when I'm around, and always happen when I'm not.
As the laptop is reasonably old, it happens during Udev stuff and it happens randomly I'm inclined to say hardware.
But then, that's probably me covering myself, cause I set the damn thing up. tongue

So .... any ideas?

I can get more information on anything if y'all want.

Oh god, I nearly forgot. A while back it was having a problem saying the main partition had errors and then hanging when it tried to check them. So I (it was naughty I know) disabled checking for that partition. Related?

Last edited by foxtrot (2010-06-13 00:31:47)

#2 2010-06-13 01:33:11

masterkoppa

Re: Crash in UDev Events

I would check the filesystem manually whenever you get a chance. There might be corruption sometimes during shutdown. Im no expert but I would start with that.

#3 2010-06-13 01:41:58

foxtrot

Re: Crash in UDev Events

as in fscheck from a livecd?
the problem was on the / partition, so it can't be checked without a livecd, yah?
I'll do that some time

Board footer