You are not logged in.

#176 2010-08-28 15:43:41

kcirick
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 364

Re: The i3 thread

I'm having a little bit of an issue piping stalonetray (or any other systray) to dzen and putting it alongside with the workspace bar.

Does anyone have systray working on i3? I would like to see what you've done (also Screenshot if available)

Offline

#177 2010-08-29 08:51:01

patroclo7
Member
From: Bassano del Grappa, ITALY
Registered: 2006-01-11
Posts: 913

Re: The i3 thread

kcirick wrote:

I'm having a little bit of an issue piping stalonetray (or any other systray) to dzen and putting it alongside with the workspace bar.

Does anyone have systray working on i3? I would like to see what you've done (also Screenshot if available)

I don't think you can "pipe" stalonetray in dzen2. You can draw it ABOVE dzen2 with the same background color...


Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

Offline

#178 2010-08-31 21:05:21

marfig
Member
From: Portugal
Registered: 2010-07-30
Posts: 176
Website

Re: The i3 thread

I need to setup a script (bash? perl?) that sets the urgency flag/hint on a window. This will allow i3 to respond by changing the workspace button and window border colors.

I can do this for regular terminal windows because they respond well to echo -e '\a'. But this is a GUI window. More specifically the Claws email client, which allows me to specify a command whenever it checks for mail. The idea is to set its window urgency flag whenever new mail arrives by running this script.

But, perl is gobbledygook to me at this point and I given up on trying to accomplish this. So this request is, I'm afraid, for a someone else to code this script. yikes
I've been to i3 irc channel and the developers there seem to have responded well to the possibility of this functionality to be eventually inserted into i3-msg. They were also helpful enough to point me towards X11::XCB as a perl library that could help me achieve this functionality in the meantime. But I felt it would be wrong of me to bother them with more questions that at that point ceased to be about i3, and I cannot seem to be able to do it myself. Not now at least.

Last edited by marfig (2010-08-31 21:06:51)


I probably made this post longer than it should only because I lack the time to make it shorter.
- Paraphrased from Blaise Pascal

Offline

#179 2010-08-31 21:13:34

Atsutane
Trusted User (TU)
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-08-18
Posts: 96

Re: The i3 thread

Claws Mail works fine for me using the Notification Plugin, I haven't made any real settings for that, it runs basically ootb.


[blog - mostly german] - [JabberID: atsutane 0x40 freethoughts 0x2E de] - [identi.ca]

Offline

#180 2010-08-31 21:27:57

marfig
Member
From: Portugal
Registered: 2010-07-30
Posts: 176
Website

Re: The i3 thread

Indeed. Just checked it out. It includes an option to set the urgency hint flag of the window.
Didn't think of checking Claws plugins... tsk.

Thank you Atsutane.


I probably made this post longer than it should only because I lack the time to make it shorter.
- Paraphrased from Blaise Pascal

Offline

#181 2010-09-05 10:08:48

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: The i3 thread

Is anyone here using compositing with i3? I just turned on the xcompmgr-dana and it seems amazing! The settings I did are only for fades, so when I switch the workspaces, I get some nice fades. Same goes for application open/close and menus. Efficient tiling wm with some eye candy! Can it get any better than that?

Thanks for i3. smile

Offline

#182 2010-09-05 10:12:24

Inxsible
Forum Fellow
From: Chicago
Registered: 2008-06-09
Posts: 9,071

Re: The i3 thread

Its been a few years since I even installed any compositing app, let alone switch it on, but maybe I'll try it out and see how it helps.

I guess I have been a minimalist so long, that I don't even like to install apps that are not imperative for me to work with.


Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Offline

#183 2010-09-05 10:36:36

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

Re: The i3 thread

archman-cro wrote:

Is anyone here using compositing with i3? I just turned on the xcompmgr-dana and it seems amazing! The settings I did are only for fades, so when I switch the workspaces, I get some nice fades. Same goes for application open/close and menus. Efficient tiling wm with some eye candy! Can it get any better than that?

Just gave it a spin, pretty nice!


ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#184 2010-09-05 10:52:39

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: The i3 thread

Yep. This is my line:

xcompmgr -cf -r 0 -D 6

I love this cause it's easy on eyes, since I switch workspaces very much. smile

Offline

#185 2010-09-05 11:04:05

Ogion
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-12-11
Posts: 367

Re: The i3 thread

Hm, interesting. (Works perfectly, softwarewise).
If i'll keep it is another thing tongue (i'll see).

Ogion


(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

Offline

#186 2010-09-05 14:16:47

Atsutane
Trusted User (TU)
From: Germany
Registered: 2008-08-18
Posts: 96

Re: The i3 thread

About 2 hours ago i3lock was released in version 2.0. I now also finally moved it to community. I'll delete it from AUR in a few hours in order prevent someone from uploading a duplicate without noticing the move.

Last edited by Atsutane (2010-09-05 14:17:53)


[blog - mostly german] - [JabberID: atsutane 0x40 freethoughts 0x2E de] - [identi.ca]

Offline

#187 2010-09-05 15:12:05

alexandrite
Member
Registered: 2009-03-27
Posts: 326

Re: The i3 thread

archman-cro wrote:

Yep. This is my line:

xcompmgr -cf -r 0 -D 6

I love this cause it's easy on eyes, since I switch workspaces very much. smile

Normally, I don't bother with compositing, but this looks nicer than I thought it would.  Neato.

Offline

#188 2010-09-05 15:42:12

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

Re: The i3 thread

Inxsible wrote:
gazj wrote:

I use i3 from community, and I couldn't get i3-wsbar to do anything useful!

I am in the same boat. i3-wsbar just doesn't do anything. I am using xf86-video-ati so I don't think the drivers are an issue. Maybe I should use the git version and see if it changes anything.

I've opened a ticket for this: http://i3.zekjur.net/bugs/ticket/261


ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#189 2010-09-05 16:01:04

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: The i3 thread

alexandrite wrote:
archman-cro wrote:

Yep. This is my line:

xcompmgr -cf -r 0 -D 6

I love this cause it's easy on eyes, since I switch workspaces very much. smile

Normally, I don't bother with compositing, but this looks nicer than I thought it would.  Neato.

The only thing that bothered me with it was the quit app fadeout. It kind of flickers when performing the close. Happens on both i3 and Openbox.

Offline

#190 2010-09-05 16:32:45

Ogion
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-12-11
Posts: 367

Re: The i3 thread

Hm, flickers? It doesn't flicker for me. In fact i am surprised how absolutely flawless it is for me.

Ogion


(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

Offline

#191 2010-09-05 16:35:14

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: The i3 thread

I'll try to record it and post somewhere.

Offline

#192 2010-09-05 16:46:55

Ogion
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-12-11
Posts: 367

Re: The i3 thread

The only thing i just noticed is that seemingly the fade to a workspace with a tabbed layout tabbar (or just more than one window) is faster than to a workspace with just one window. Faster as in seems like it 'skips frames' if it were a movie. Just slightly,barely noticeable.

Ogion


(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

Offline

#193 2010-09-05 16:57:59

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: The i3 thread

Aah, I can't record that. You couldn't see it from the screen capture movie, unfortunately. It seems like it closes without fades, and then gets back and fades out. All happens really fast, but it looks kind of ugly. I guess it's my "awesome" i945 gpu that's responsible. ;D

Offline

#194 2010-09-05 17:06:51

marfig
Member
From: Portugal
Registered: 2010-07-30
Posts: 176
Website

Re: The i3 thread

I have tried it before, but cannot seem to be able to make xcompmgr behave with a vmware display driver.

Best setting I achieved is "xcompmgr -n". This actually removes any flickering from openig new urxvt terminals (especially useful when using shading or tint), But xcompmgr with me:

- Somehow conflicts with xsetbg. I use it in .i3/config to load i3 background image. But xcompgr produces a blank grey bacground. Loading urxvt terminals however reveal the background is there since it will then show through if you have set urxvt transparency in .Xdefaults.
- Opening blank workspaces show the previous workspace as a background image
- It doesn't seem to work very well with real transparency in urxvt.

I didn't bother much with it ever since. I can live with the flickering when loading new terminal windows.

Last edited by marfig (2010-09-05 17:14:41)


I probably made this post longer than it should only because I lack the time to make it shorter.
- Paraphrased from Blaise Pascal

Offline

#195 2010-09-05 17:25:33

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

Re: The i3 thread

Ogion wrote:

The only thing i just noticed is that seemingly the fade to a workspace with a tabbed layout tabbar (or just more than one window) is faster than to a workspace with just one window. Faster as in seems like it 'skips frames' if it were a movie. Just slightly,barely noticeable.

Confirmed. smile


archman-cro wrote:

Aah, I can't record that. You couldn't see it from the screen capture movie, unfortunately. It seems like it closes without fades, and then gets back and fades out. All happens really fast, but it looks kind of ugly. I guess it's my "awesome" i945 gpu that's responsible. ;D

Confirmed. smile


ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#196 2010-09-05 17:50:49

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

Re: The i3 thread

Inxsible wrote:
gazj wrote:

I use i3 from community, and I couldn't get i3-wsbar to do anything useful!

I am in the same boat. i3-wsbar just doesn't do anything. I am using xf86-video-ati so I don't think the drivers are an issue. Maybe I should use the git version and see if it changes anything.

Update: the most likely cause is that i3-wsbar can't find the i3 socket file. In the current version the location is hardcoded to ~/.i3/ipc.sock. If you have your socket in a different location you can symlink it from .i3/ temporarily, until the -next version of wsbar becomes -main which includes a parameter for the socket location.

If you didn't have a socket running at all, you can add this config parameter:

ipc-socket ~/.i3/ipc.sock

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#197 2010-09-05 18:16:22

archman-cro
Member
From: Croatia
Registered: 2010-04-04
Posts: 943
Website

Re: The i3 thread

litemotiv wrote:
archman-cro wrote:

Aah, I can't record that. You couldn't see it from the screen capture movie, unfortunately. It seems like it closes without fades, and then gets back and fades out. All happens really fast, but it looks kind of ugly. I guess it's my "awesome" i945 gpu that's responsible. ;D

Confirmed. smile

You use the same gpu?

Offline

#198 2010-09-05 19:46:34

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

Re: The i3 thread

archman-cro wrote:

You use the same gpu?

No actually i have an Nvidia 9400M..


ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#199 2010-09-05 19:59:29

kcirick
Member
Registered: 2010-06-21
Posts: 364

Re: The i3 thread

xcompmgr somehow didn't work for me, and right now I'm too lazy to troubleshoot.

However cairo-cmpmgr did work. As much as it does look cool, wether I'll keep using composite is to be determined.

Offline

#200 2010-09-05 21:07:01

Ogion
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2007-12-11
Posts: 367

Re: The i3 thread

Actually, archman-cro, i use that same one too. EeePC with

Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Ogion


(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB