You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-14 00:07:25

rowinggolfer

hal problem

I installed arch today as a virtualbox guest.
I installed from archlinux-2010.05-netinstall-i686.iso

Host os is ubuntu 10.04, and VB version is 3.2.4r62467 (from oracle.. not the lucid repos)

I followed this wik article, which is excellent. Concise and very thorough.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … the_System

Only Issue I had was at this section (under install gnome-desktop)

=== start quote ==
You may want to install a graphical login manager. For GNOME, the gdm daemon is a good choice.
As root:
# pacman -S gdm
Start hal:
# /etc/rc.d/hal start
Add the desired daemons to your /etc/rc.conf DAEMONS section, so they will be invoked at boot (Note that gamin is not to be added to the DAEMONS array):
# nano /etc/rc.conf
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng network crond alsa dbus hal gdm)
Tip: If you prefer to log into the console and manually start X, exclude the gdm daemon.
Note: HAL relies on and will automatically start dbus. However, some users have reported a failure with networkmanager unless dbus is implicitly specified in the DAEMONS array. When adding dbus to the array, ensure it directly precedes HAL.
Next, edit your /etc/gdm/custom.conf and in the [servers] section add:
0=Standard vt7
=== end quote ==

when I issued the command to start hal... it failed.
also, there is no [servers] section in /etc/gdm/custom.conf

however, I rebooted the system, and all is well.
also, the guest-additions installed flawlessly. not the case with every distro I tried today.

thanks
Neil (new arch user) - screenshot http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1989100/screenshots/vb-arch.png

#2 2010-06-14 03:07:36

rockin turtle

Re: hal problem

Have you installed hal?

Try typing:

$ which hald

at the command line.  I don't have gnome installed so I don't know if hal is a dependency or not.  I believe that hal has been deprecated, though, so it is likely that gnome has been moving away from hal for a while now.  I believe version 1.8.* of Xorg (which as been released, although its only in testing in Arch) has removed all dependency on hal.

If your system works ok without hal, I would just not install it and not worry.

Board footer