You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-14 16:05:29

gpunkt

hydrogen & OSS error

I tried to instal & run both, hydrogen-svn with enabled oss and hydrogen "normal" version, both versions showed up this error.

[nils@archlinux ~]$ hydrogen 

Hydrogen 0.9.4 [Mar 31 2010]  [http://www.hydrogen-music.org]
Copyright 2002-2008 Alessandro Cominu

Hydrogen comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details

ALSA lib seq_hw.c:457:(snd_seq_hw_open) open /dev/snd/seq failed: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
(E) OssDriver   connect ERROR_IOCTL: unable to set BlockSize 
(E)     void H2Core::audioEngine_startAudioDrivers() Error starting audio driver [audioDriver::connect()] 
(E)     void H2Core::audioEngine_startAudioDrivers() Using the NULL output audio driver 
(E)     void H2Core::audioEngine_startAudioDrivers() m_pMainBuffer_L == NULL 
(E)     void H2Core::audioEngine_startAudioDrivers() m_pMainBuffer_R == NULL 
(E)     void* H2Core::alsaMidiDriver_thread(void*) Error opening ALSA sequencer: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden 
(E)     void H2Core::audioEngine_setupLadspaFX(unsigned int) nBufferSize=0 
(E) NullDriver  setBpm not implemented yet 

Bye...

#2 2010-06-15 01:12:01

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: hydrogen & OSS error

Why aren't you using it with Jack? If I'm not mistaken (never even knew Hydrogen had an OSS backend) the expected backend is ossv3 (really deprecated), and you probably have ossv4/alsa installed? There's an alsa sequencer error at least.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2010-06-15 11:08:26

gpunkt

seems to make sense. ehm well. at the moment i'm using oss, switched recently from alsa where hydrogen worked well. i don't have a realtime kernel, that's why i haven't tried jack yet. i'm using this workstation for everything in general, audio recording isn't possible yet because of lack of hardware.

#4 2010-06-15 13:01:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You don't need a realtime kernel to use JACK, assuming you're not trying for lowest latency. Hydrogen (IMO) does not make sense without JACK, what would you do with it?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-06-15 13:15:54

gpunkt

so, the better solution in this case would be re-installing ALSA and installing jack(2)?

#6 2010-06-15 23:32:06

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Yes, don't use OSS (despite what the fanboys here say) if you want to do any audio-production stuff, JACK is the only way.

#7 2010-06-16 00:42:28

gpunkt

>E: stupid post was stupid.

i have now OSS + JACK running, works fine.

Last edited by gpunkt (2010-06-16 18:28:21)

Board footer