You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-15 00:47:00

tladuke

how do you manage your dwm patches?

I use a mostly vanilla dwm from abs. I just tell it to use urxvt instead and set that hints thing to false. I just tried to go through suckless's mercurial patching tutorial, but I never use mercurial, so it's kind of... i'm not sure what's going on. I want to start adding some of the more complex patches, but I don't want all my work blown away every time I update

Last edited by tladuke (2010-06-15 00:53:20)

#2 2010-06-15 00:56:37

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: how do you manage your dwm patches?

My approach is probably needlessly complex, but as I have pretty much finished tweaking and am content with the setup on both my machines, it works.

I have cumulatively patched both machines with init-pertag, cycle, push and have bstack and useless-gaps on the workstation. I then created a single diff for each of the dwm.c files and apply that to each successive upgrade. Lolilolicon's useless-gaps broke on 5.8.2, but it was straightforward to adapt it for the changed chunks.

Upgrading takes me around 5-10 minutes for each machine, including updating each machines' patches to mercurial repos.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2010-06-15 03:10:03

thayer
Fellow
Website

I currently keep my dwm stuff in git.  I apply patches and misc changes to config.def.h as commits.  However, I'm looking at moving to mercurial and maintaining a patch queue which should be easier to maintain changesets as layers.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2010-06-15 16:54:26

clutch

Honestly, I got tired of messing around with all the patches a while ago and switched to dwm-sprinkles.  It has a lot of layouts I don't use and that sort of thing, but its nice to know its all there if I need to do something unexpected.  I started with vanilla dwm and decided I needed bottomstack because I don't have a nice roomy widescreen.  After that I kept piling crap on, and eventually realized it was just easier to use sprinkles and deal with being a week or so late on new versions.

Even with all of the crap sprinkles has patched in, its only an extra few hundred lines of code I believe.  So you're not straying too far from the principles behind DWM.  Only issue I've had is that in the last version, it would crash on my laptop any time I switched to bottom-stack on an empty desktop and then tried to open a term.  I think it stopped after the latest version.

As for keeping track of everything, my config is pretty much set in stone - I just alter the exceptions stuff a little differently for each of my machines since they run different programs.  I keep a copy of my current config.h-laptop and config.h-desktop backed up on my local server so that if I need to reinstall or something goes wrong its just a quick svn co to grab a new copy of sprinkles, scp one of my configs over, and then compile.

#5 2010-06-15 17:02:54

skanky

I've recently (yesterday - so it's only dealt with my config changes so far) set-up the hg queue method as defined on the dwm site on my netbook. It's pretty simple (though out of date now and uses deprecated commands - the hg help will guide through that though). Once I've got it sorted and all my changes have settled down, I'll start using it on the work laptop. Not sure if I actually want any of the patches, except maybe bottom stack.

The main test will be when the next version of dwm is released, but I'll cross that hurdle when I get to it.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#6 2010-06-15 17:28:44

lswest
Website

I make a diff for any patch I use (if the one on the official DWM website doesn't work with the current release of DWM), and name it in the format dwm-version#-patch.diff, and stick it in a DWM Patches folder on my Dropbox.

I also have a "DWM-Current" directory with the newest patches stored, so if there's a new version of DWM available I copy the PKGBUILD from abs into that folder, and build it using the patches.  If it fails, I make the changes by hand after patching the dwm.c file with the ones that do work, and generate a .diff for future use.

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#7 2010-06-15 18:10:52

tladuke

I tried sprinkles before I made this thread, but it was too many different things at once and I was lost. Is there documentation for any of those patches anywhere besides the 2 lines of comments at the top of the patch? And I had to go in and change it to use urxvt anyways so...

I guess I should just figure out mercurial for real.

#8 2010-06-15 19:35:00

skanky

tladuke wrote:

I tried sprinkles before I made this thread, but it was too many different things at once and I was lost. Is there documentation for any of those patches anywhere besides the 2 lines of comments at the top of the patch? And I had to go in and change it to use urxvt anyways so...

I guess I should just figure out mercurial for real.

As I was told recently, it's actually fairly simple. See: http://hgbook.red-bean.com/ (you don't need to read it all).

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#9 2010-06-15 20:43:20

thayer
Fellow
Website

skanky wrote:

As I was told recently, it's actually fairly simple. See: http://hgbook.red-bean.com/ (you don't need to read it all).

Great guide, I'm working my way through it as well...

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

Board footer