You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-15 01:20:32

ctarwater

libv4l / v4l-utils / lib32-v4l (skype, webcam, and 64 bit...again)

I've made a few posts regarding various aspects of this over the past 6 or so months and every time I make a little progress but then get stuck, so, here I am again.

I have an Asus ul50vt laptop with a Suyin (064e:a136) webcam with an inverted/flipped image.  I'm currently away from my family and am trying to get skype to work with a right-side-up image.

At this point, I've installed the newest v4l-utils from the source instead of libv4l from our repos since the developer added my webcam to the newest release.
I've installed lib32-v4l since I'm on a 64 bit system and that's required to get libv4l working.
I've installed bin32-skype.

Now, cheese, when started normally finally displays a right side up image!
Skype however, does not.
I've tried using "LD_PRELOAD=/opt/lib32/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype" to load skype but the image is still flipped.

I've run v4l2ucp with "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so v4l2ucp" (otherwise the flip H / flip V options don't show up) and when I tick the flip options, the sample image flips.  So v4l1compat.so seems to work so far as it allows me to flip the image.

I've tried saving my v4l2ucp config (with the properly flipped image) to a config file and running that config in a script before starting skype, but the image is still upside down.  I save the config with this code:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so v4l2ctrl -s /home/nemo/.Skype/webcam_flip

and here is the script:

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so v4l2ctrl -l /home/nemo/.Skype/webcam_flip
LD_PRELOAD=/opt/lib32/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

At this point I'm curious what lib32-v4l does.  Since I replaced the "stock" libv4l with the updated one, do I need to recompile lib32-v4l with the new source that includes info for my webcam?

I'm seriously at my wits end with this one.  I love puzzles, but c'mon.  tongue

I've even tried getting pidgin to work so my wife and I could use gtalk/video chat but although we both run arch x64 she keeps getting some error on her end (Could not create the valve element)   

Does anyone have any ideas?  I just want to talk to and see my wife and daughter without resorting to dualbooting win7.

Thanks all.

Last edited by ctarwater (2010-06-15 01:26:07)

#2 2010-06-18 21:18:12

ctarwater

Re: libv4l / v4l-utils / lib32-v4l (skype, webcam, and 64 bit...again)

Bump?

Anyone have a clue if lib32-v4l could even be the cause?

#3 2010-06-19 01:28:28

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Both your libv4l and lib32-v4l must be the same. I'd suggest making a PKGBUILD for them though instead of manually make; make install from the sources, so that they can be removed if anything breaks (and it may).

lib32-* are basically the same libraries, but 32-bit variants. Your 32-bit apps will use these libraries instead.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-06-19 18:57:16

ctarwater

Thanks, I've managed to get somewhat working PKGBUILDs in that they compile but the installs end up all over the place and LD_PRELOAD still doesn't work which leads me to believe that things aren't where they should be.

Still, I've made some progress, thanks for your help.  Now, back to the ABS / PKGBUILD forum. 

Thanks again.

Board footer