You are not logged in.

#1 2005-02-11 00:18:33

gaah

xfce4 problems along with gdm/xdm

I just gave up on kde after finding xfce4 which worked so good. But then I messed some setting up and I thought it was just as good to reinstall everything so I also could get rid of all leftover files after software I uninstalled. So I did reinstall arch, and now I haven't succeded getting all settings right again. Everytime I start xfce4 now I get this error:

Could not look up internet address for angst.
This will prevent Xfce from operating correctly.
It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
angst to the file /etc/hosts on your system.

I tried doing what it said but I didn't manage to get it right, so how do I do that?

Secondly, I want to use the resolution 1024x768 and I specified that in the settings panel. But now when I login the resolution changes like half time during xfce4 startup process resulting that the splashscreen doesn't get get centered. How do I fix this? Can I even force X to startup in the right resolution meaning that xfce wouldn't have to change it? I really hope so, but how?

Are there any good guides out there on how to set up gdm or xdm? I just tried out gdm with the default settings resulting in only error. I couldn't even get xfce4 to start. I didn't find anything in the wiki either...

#2 2005-02-11 00:22:48

stonecrest

Re: xfce4 problems along with gdm/xdm

gaah wrote:

I tried doing what it said but I didn't manage to get it right, so how do I do that?

Try this in your /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   angst
gaah wrote:

Can I even force X to startup in the right resolution meaning that xfce wouldn't have to change it?

In your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, scroll down to where you see something like:

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection

Presumably you have lots of Modes listed. If you know you want to run it at 1024x768, delete the others. You'll probably have multiple subsections for different depths that you want to do this for.

gaah wrote:

Are there any good guides out there on how to set up gdm or xdm? I just tried out gdm with the default settings resulting in only error. I couldn't even get xfce4 to start. I didn't find anything in the wiki either...

Xfce documentation explains how to add it to a *dm.

I am a gated community.

#3 2005-02-11 00:38:35

gaah

Re: xfce4 problems along with gdm/xdm

Thank you! The error message is gone now!

And the resolution is correct, just that xfce4 switches from 1024x768 to 1024x768 for some strange reason. How can I get rid of this? Maybe I have a different refresh rate specified in the X compared to in xfce, but how do I change that in xorg.conf?

Okay, it's getting late over here so I'll continue with the login manager another night, thanks for the tip though!

Board footer