You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-17 00:16:02

CosineQuaNon

Small request regarding quoting posts in the screenshots thread

I have a small request for all of you who regularly reply to posts in the screenshots thread - when you quote someone, could you please ensure that the link that shows up in the quoted post is to the full image, and not the thumbnail? It defaults to the thumbnail, and that's very annoying, as you then have to hunt through the previous posts until you find the one that's being referenced, which is sometimes pages back.

Thanks!

Last edited by CosineQuaNon (2010-06-17 00:16:15)

#2 2010-06-17 01:54:28

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Small request regarding quoting posts in the screenshots thread

CosineQuaNon wrote:

I have a small request for all of you who regularly reply to posts in the screenshots thread - when you quote someone, could you please ensure that the link that shows up in the quoted post is to the full image, and not the thumbnail? It defaults to the thumbnail, and that's very annoying, as you then have to hunt through the previous posts until you find the one that's being referenced, which is sometimes pages back.

Thanks!

That's not going to happen in any widespread way. Getting people to have a enough respect to keep thumbnails down to something small enough for all users is difficult enough. Asking people to dig into each quoted post and edit the URL is...

*** I used 'enough' three times in one sentence. Boring! ***

#3 2010-06-17 02:11:49

M177ER

skottish,

What about a 'go to post' link in the quoted section like I've seen on other forums.

Thanks

#4 2010-06-17 02:12:00

falconindy
Developer
Website

A linkback to the quoted post (within the quote) would be a more sane and utilitarian solution.

edit: *shakes a fist at M177ER*

Last edited by falconindy (2010-06-17 02:12:51)

#5 2010-06-17 02:29:43

sand_man

I agree it would be nice to have because it annoys the hell out of me too but it seems like too much trouble.

neutral

#6 2010-06-17 02:53:59

CosineQuaNon

falconindy wrote:

A linkback to the quoted post (within the quote) would be a more sane and utilitarian solution.

I would prefer this solution as well, but I assumed that the Forums were using prepackaged software (as opposed to something custom written by the admins), so it wouldn't be that easy to edit it.

I also wanted to try a user-based solution before complaining to the admins, but skottish is right in saying that the chances of people following this are slim. There are still people using ImageShack! I don't understand what's so difficult about using omploader or imgur instead, particularly when there's a command line tool for omploading.

Last edited by CosineQuaNon (2010-06-17 02:57:25)

#7 2010-07-02 05:16:17

rb

CosineQuaNon wrote:

There are still people using ImageShack! I don't understand what's so difficult about using omploader or imgur instead, particularly when there's a command line tool for omploading.

May I ask what's wrong with Imageshack? (an honest question!)

Sorry for my English. Feel free to point out my errors.

#8 2010-07-02 06:06:41

w1ntermute

rb wrote:
CosineQuaNon wrote:

There are still people using ImageShack! I don't understand what's so difficult about using omploader or imgur instead, particularly when there's a command line tool for omploading.

May I ask what's wrong with Imageshack? (an honest question!)

The links to the images are longer, and there isn't an officially sanctioned command line upload tool.

However, what gets to me the most is when people use the "forum code" provided by ImageShack. When you click on the thumbnail, instead of taking you directly to the image, you go to an intermediate page, from which you have to click again to get to the image itself. Here is a perfect example.

Edit: arinlares fixed his post (thanks!), so here are some other examples:

These are from ImageBam:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 60#p785560
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 86#p785586

This from deviantART: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 14#p785414 (deviantART is a little more understable, since he's linking to his personal page, but since he's got a link to it in his sig, that seems a little redundant).

As you can see, the same sort of issue.

Last edited by w1ntermute (2010-07-04 07:01:54)

#9 2010-07-02 06:15:53

dcc24

I always use imageshack but I change the URL in the BBcode to point to the actual, full size image. This way, I avoid the issues mentioned by w1ntermute. I know it's extra work, but it works for me.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. (Mark Twain)

My AUR packages

#10 2010-07-02 06:55:30

rb

w1ntermute wrote:

The links to the images are longer, and there isn't an officially sanctioned command line upload tool.

However, what gets to me the most is when people use the "forum code" provided by ImageShack. When you click on the thumbnail, instead of taking you directly to the image, you go to an intermediate page, from which you have to click again to get to the image itself. Here is a perfect example.

You have a point there. I never thought about that before. Thanks

Sorry for my English. Feel free to point out my errors.

#11 2010-07-02 09:18:51

arinlares
Website

w1ntermute wrote:
rb wrote:
CosineQuaNon wrote:

Here is a perfect example.

You might wanna change that post up.  Out of courtesy to other users, I'm editing it to remove the link to imageshack's page, and straight to the image.  The mentioned link-through was just something I thought came with the free image host territory.

#12 2010-07-04 07:13:11

w1ntermute

arinlares wrote:

You might wanna change that post up.  Out of courtesy to other users, I'm editing it to remove the link to imageshack's page, and straight to the image.  The mentioned link-through was just something I thought came with the free image host territory.

Done!

Board footer