You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-17 21:40:20

Mountainjew

Weird Gnome-Terminal font issue

So i reinstalled arch yesterday and i'm having a problem with font rendering in gnome-terminal. Some letters will disappear, leaving the i-beam.

It only happens sometimes, and happened on my previous install, but i don't know what i did to fix it then.

Here's what it looks like

nrNjFl.jpg

Not sure what's causing it. I've tried other fonts, and it still happens. Atm i'm using Droid Sans Mono and i have the ubuntu font patches. Though i was having the issue before with the lcd font patches.

#2 2010-06-17 22:58:06

Knute

Re: Weird Gnome-Terminal font issue

Well, if you have tried different fonts, have you tried different versions of gnome-terminal?
If it happens after you first install, then you must ask what install method you used?  Did you do a disk install or a netinstall?
If it was a disk install using the same disk that you used before, then you would have a version with that glitch, and probably disappeared after upgrade.

Have you done a system upgrade after install?

Knute

#3 2010-06-18 00:40:07

Mountainjew

Knute wrote:

Have you done a system upgrade after install?

Of course.

And yes i used different installation media and a newer version of arch.

I doubt that has anything to do with it anyway...

#4 2010-06-18 00:46:25

Knute

It was a place to start.  If you don't want help, that's fine.

I was a help desk technician for many years, and learned that sometimes the best question to ask was "Is it plugged in?"

So, if covering the bases does not appeal to you, that's fine.  What I didn't ask is if you had logged out of arch and killed the x-server, and then logged back in.  That's a question of the same caliber as "is it plugged in".

So what do you think it has to do with?
I mean, if you have an idea what it's not, then you must have an idea what it is.  So, what do you think is going on?

Knute

#5 2010-06-18 01:02:52

Mountainjew

Knute wrote:

I was a help desk technician for many years, and learned that sometimes the best question to ask was "Is it plugged in?"

Me too.

And since most of installing arch and DE's is handled by pacman and not the installation media, it seems kind of irrelevant.

I'm thinking it has to do with compositing or Nvidia drivers.

I'm also getting some rendering problems in firefox, if i switch tabs, the tab will switch but the page will not. And i'll have to keep switching back and forth to get the tab switched.

I'm currently running kernel26-ice with the latest nvidia proprietary drivers. I guess i'll try without compiz and see how it goes...

#6 2010-06-18 01:51:55

Knute

It depends on whether or not your gnome-terminal actually updated when you did the system update.  By default, on install, pacman only has very basic and most stable packages.  So unless you changed that, a net install would most likely contain the same packages as the update.

Without knowing about the other issues, There was nothing that I could have guessed about that.  I would start by turning of compositing, and logging out and killing X, then logging back in.

Knute

Board footer