You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-17 21:53:31

sharris

How to mount USB Flash Drive

Hello again Arch-Linux users,

I always search google very hard and for months (off and on) I search for how to mount a USB Flash Drive.  Nothing ever work so I give up than try again months latter.  I don't want to give up anymore and that is why I join this forum.

Here are some of the code I found on the net.  Some of these commands will only re-mount the entire Arch-Linux running system in  /mnt/usbstick.

sudo mount -o rw,noauto,async,user,umask=1000 /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstick
... don't work it only re-mount the entire system

/dev/sda15 /mnt/usbstick  vfat   user,noauto,unhide   0      0
... don't work... I found nothing inside /mnt/usbstick

mount -t vfat -o rw,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=mixed,uid=1001,gid=100,umask=077,iocharset=utf8 /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbstick
... don't work... here is the error i get:
mount: /dev/sda1 already mounted or /mnt/usbstick busy
mount: according to mtab, /dev/sda1 is mounted on /

It strange that most USB mount commands use the operating system partition itself- example: /dev/sda1 as the device for USB device, while others use /dev/cdrom for cd - /dev/dvd for dvd and /dev/fd0 for floppy.

Could someone post the code that will easily mount a usb device under Arch_Linux.

I'm using Arch-Linux core-64 (08-2009)

Thanks in advance

Last edited by sharris (2010-06-17 21:58:43)

#2 2010-06-17 22:01:28

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: How to mount USB Flash Drive

FIrst you need to find the device: The USB device will be given a name much like any other hard drive. On my system, for example it's /dev/sdd and the partition to mount is /dev/sdd1. On your system it may be different.

Second, once you have the device you can mount it: You can use plain old mount with sudo mount /dev/$seestepone /mnt . I use pmount /dev/sdd1 and the filesystem appears in /media/sdd1.

Third, to dismount use umount: straightforward. Pmount has its own pumount.

See the man page for mount (or pmount if you choose to use that) for more options. Alternatively, if you're using a graphical file manager or a DE, there may be options to mount a USB drive.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2010-06-17 22:01:47

lilsirecho
Veteran

A starting point for discussion is to post...lsusb....

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2010-06-17 22:07:10

demian

When you plug in the usb drive type dmesg | tail.
You'll be shown the identification of the drive (e.g. sdc).
If you know there's only one partition, mount it with mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt. Usually, the filesystem gets detected on its own. You only need mount options like uid/gid/users if you want the drive to be writable for certain users.

no place like /home
github

#5 2010-06-18 01:19:59

sharris

Thanks fsckd,
I needed a rapid reply because I been wasting too much time not getting anything done because I needed to get pass this flash-drive thing.  I can now have a secure back-up in my pocket on USB to go.  Arch-Linux does it better for what I seen while just dd'ing on disk.

...lsusb
Found it smile
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linuxcommand.org … susb8.html

Thanks demian,
sdb is the location for my single hard-drive machine.  I saw it before in my list above but I changed it to sda1 because I knew no better.  I had no clue it represent a 2nd hard-drive for LINUX if one is not already present.

This did it for me

Thanks again

#6 2010-06-18 01:40:24

sharris

Problem solved:

dmesg | tail
sdb: sdb1

mount /dev/sdb1 /b

Last edited by sharris (2010-06-18 02:37:13)

Board footer