You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-18 16:18:08

Yes

[Solved] Disable X changing screen brightness?

For some reason, X decides to jack the LCD brightness up to 100% when it starts.  I don't want it to do this, since I'm using rc.local to determine what kind of power the laptop is running on and set the screen brightness accordingly when it boots.  It wouldn't be a problem to just run a script to reduce the brightness again when Gnome starts, but you've got to be root to do that.

So, I guess my options are to disable X from setting the screen brightness or run a script as root when Gnome starts.  Does anyone know how to do either?

e:  Actually, I guess it might be something Catalyst is doing.  Does anyone know how to disable that?  I tried going to System->Preferences->Catalyst Control Center but nothing comes up.

e2:  It didn't come up because for some reason it needs qt.  Installed qt and now it works, let's see if I can find the right setting...

e3:  I found the brightness setting, but it doesn't look like I can disable it.  So, does anyone know how I can run a script as root when I login to Gnome?

e4:  Eh nevermind, I'll just have to put up with gnome-power-manager.  If anyone knows how to disable Catalyst from changing the brightness settings though I'd still be interested in that.

Last edited by Yes (2010-06-18 16:57:16)

Board footer