You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-21 20:10:18

Ben9250
Website

[SOLVED] Installing Packages - Mendeley

Hi all, this is more of a learning question than a technical issue, my systems great at the minute and I'm in the process of getting it set up so I can work with my programs for uni on it.

I wanted to install Mendeley desktop. So far I have learned pacman to get programs/packages from the net and also to build things from AUR with makepkg or using yaourt. Then using pacman -U to install local packages. Now I'm aware I can get Mendeley from AUR (and have done) but on their website you can also obtain a generic linux package called mendeleydesktop-0.9.7-linux-x86_64.tar.bz2. I tried downloading this and installing with pacman -U and even just did as the readme said and extracted it and ran the command ./bin/mendeleydesktop . But no luck. I think this probably failed as I've seen that most packages in Arch are .tar.gz format.

My question is, other than pacman and AUR, how does one go about installing generic packages like this on arch? the .tat.bz2 property of the package tells me it's probably not compatible straight away so I was wondering what needs to be done (if anything can be done) to such generic packages to get it working. The install instructions with the file weren't particularily helpful. This is just for the learning opportunity after I had a google and search around but didn't really find an answer, I just used AUR in the end.

Cheers.

Last edited by Ben9250 (2010-07-05 21:45:20)

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#2 2010-06-21 20:38:58

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Packages - Mendeley

Some points yoiu should probably know about.

Arch binary packages are .pkg.tar.xz or .pkg.tar.gz. The gz ones are usally older and use gzip compression. The xz ones use xz compression.

Looking at the generic package, it seems it makes some assumptions about what's already installed. If you try to run it, there should be some errors if it fails. You should post those here. Other than that, I suggest you stick with the AUR version and use a helper such as yaourt to install it.

In regards to your last question, "generic packages" usually refers to a source package and not a generic binary package like this. For source generics you would ideally make a PKGBUILD and pretty much do what is already done for you in AUR. Regarding the generic binary package, see my remarks above.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#3 2010-06-21 20:54:22

anonymous_user

In the case of mendeleydesktop, the tar.bz2 archive includes the program binary and libraries. You can just extract it and run the executable in the bin folder.

#4 2010-06-21 21:06:43

Ben9250
Website

Ok thats cool, for some reason, regarding mendeley, I installed the open-office plugin and when I did I got this error: (soffice:30185): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "ubuntulooks",

However, everything seemed to install fine and I tried to insert citations and then generate a bibliography and it all worked perfectly, oddly it mentions ubuntulooks which last time I came across that it was a theme in emerald? I'm gonna go ahead and not worry about it as everythings working, just wondered if anyone knew why it decided to throw that out at me.

"In England we have come to rely upon a comfortable time-lag of fifty years or a century intervening between the perception that something ought to be done and a serious attempt to do it."
  - H. G. Wells

#5 2010-06-21 22:14:10

anonymous_user

Maybe it wants the ubuntulooks engine?

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=11324

Board footer