You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-24 11:56:34

theta

Unknown text during startup

When I boot my pc the first few lines that pop  up are:

pci_root PNP0A03:00:address space collisions: host bridge window [mem 0x20000000 - 0x17ffffff] conflicts with PCI mem [mem 0x00000000 - 0xffffffff]

This was after a full system upgrade. Can anyone explain why or what this is?

#2 2010-06-24 20:02:38

pigiron

Re: Unknown text during startup

theta wrote:

pci_root PNP0A03:00:address space collisions: host bridge window [mem 0x20000000 - 0x17ffffff] conflicts with PCI mem [mem 0x00000000 - 0xffffffff]

[rant]
Wow...

Look at that skinny question. So thin that I can see right through it when I hold it up to the light. It must have taken at least 35 seconds to assemble that post from scratch, but could take hours/days of effort for a fool (like me, I guess) willing to help you.

Asking a question about the insanely complicated Linux kernel and not even include the kernel version? Not even providing the pitifully easy detail about which Arch kernel (like maybe "lts"), or one that's self compiled, or one that you found in your basement? Because the running kernel configuration is not important to this discussion? No detailed hardware information that may (or may not) be relevant to the issue? Not specifying which (if any) kernel parameters were used during boot?

Hey, not even stating that this is causing some sort of problem (or not)!

Or how about sending the poor slob that gets a Google hit on this thread five years from now down the rat hole while he's investigating a similar problem. That's because this thread is about some mysterious kernel version, and he might be running version 4.13.26.

Nope. None of that. So I stand in awe at such a carefully crafted trouble report.
[/rant]

With sooooo little information to go on, then perhaps; just maybe; only a guess; this may (or may not) be related to your quest:

http://lwn.net/Articles/373551/

Now excuse me while I venture into some other thread... never to return to this one.

#3 2010-06-25 03:10:20

skottish
Forum Fellow

pigiron wrote:
theta wrote:

[rant]
Wow...

Look at that skinny question. So thin that I can see right through it when I hold it up to the light. It must have taken at least 35 seconds to assemble that post from scratch, but could take hours/days of effort for a fool (like me, I guess) willing to help you.

Asking a question about the insanely complicated Linux kernel and not even include the kernel version? Not even providing the pitifully easy detail about which Arch kernel (like maybe "lts"), or one that's self compiled, or one that you found in your basement? Because the running kernel configuration is not important to this discussion? No detailed hardware information that may (or may not) be relevant to the issue? Not specifying which (if any) kernel parameters were used during boot?

Hey, not even stating that this is causing some sort of problem (or not)!

Or how about sending the poor slob that gets a Google hit on this thread five years from now down the rat hole while he's investigating a similar problem. That's because this thread is about some mysterious kernel version, and he might be running version 4.13.26.

Nope. None of that. So I stand in awe at such a carefully crafted trouble report.
[/rant]

With sooooo little information to go on, then perhaps; just maybe; only a guess; this may (or may not) be related to your quest:

http://lwn.net/Articles/373551/

Now excuse me while I venture into some other thread... never to return to this one.

Err... what?

#4 2010-06-25 03:13:17

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Thread summary so far:

#1. Short non-specific question without relevant details.
#2. Long rant with short punt at an answer.
#3. Confusion.
#4. ...
#5. ...
#6 Profit!

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-06-25 03:17:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

ngoonee wrote:

Thread summary so far:

#1. Short non-specific question without relevant details.
#2. Long rant with short punt at an answer.
#3. Confusion.
#4. ...
#5. ...
#6 Profit!

It's the part in beween #1 and #2.75 that's got me a little confused. I'm thinking that uber-Google skills without actually saying anything that's remotely kind, thoughtful, helpful, or useful, may be taken wrong by some people.

#6 2010-09-15 04:41:55

theta

Firstly, I am sorry for posting such a late reply. I though that this post had become stagnant.

I agree to what 'pigiron' says that I should have atleast mentioned the kernel version, but I presumed that when I mentioned that I had done a full system upgrade, it was indirectly understood that I would have the latest stable kernel available in the repsitories (which should have been 2.6.31.*). I am not a kernel developer, so I am still using the standard kernel provided by the repo. Frankly, I didn't understand most of what was written in the link which you provided although I had gone through it earlier (3 months ago).
I also found a bug report filed with regards to this (where exactly, I couldn't find now), but I had done the google part.
So now after 3 months also, I receive the same message, but as far as I am aware I don't have any problems with regard to this. I just asked out of curiousty. So if anyone has any solution to this please tell.

#7 2010-09-15 05:56:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

Despite pigiron's rudeness, his general advice was correct i.e. more detailed information regarding your issue will help others to respond effectively. You may still get some help with this here, but as it is not causing you any actual problems, you will be depending on others being as curious as you are.

I'd suggest you try a bit harder to find that bug report you mentioned - along with pigiron's link, it sounds like the best lead.

Board footer