You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-25 20:35:11

StrangeAttractor

How to convigure the local time zone keeping hardware clock UTC?

When I was installing Arch, I've set the location to be Europe-Prague and clock to be set in UTC. Now every clock applet thinks that UTC is my local time zone. How can I fix this behaviour? I want my hardware clock to be kept set UTC while all clock applets meant to show local time to show CET (Europe-Prague) time.

#2 2010-06-26 01:01:10

JackH79
Website

Re: How to convigure the local time zone keeping hardware clock UTC?

That may depend on your DE/WM.

But for starters you may want to have a look at your /etc/rc.conf.
You shoud have something like this:

HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Prague"

If you're running Gnome or KDE, you should also find something like Time Settings in the general settings managerand change things there.

#3 2010-06-26 01:25:11

StrangeAttractor

JackH79 wrote:

/etc/rc.conf.
You shoud have something like this:

HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Prague"

That's it. The perfect solution. Thank you very much.

JackH79 wrote:

If you're running Gnome or KDE, you should also find something like Time Settings in the general settings managerand change things there.

When I was using KDE, I couldn't change this (not enough rights, and I just didn't want to launch KDE as root) and was setting up the clock applet itself to show Prague time instead of "local". Now I use XFCE (and can't express how am I bloody happy with it - finally, after more than 10 years of using PCs, I've found the desktop of my dream yesterday).

Last edited by StrangeAttractor (2010-06-26 01:29:39)

#4 2010-06-26 01:28:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-06-26 02:17:39

JackH79
Website

Would be nice if you could append [SOLVED] to the subject line in your first post (click "Edit" on your first post)!

Board footer