You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-25 21:11:55

gaunt

nvida and nouveau in harmony?

I know it's supposed to be a real no-no, but I was wondering if there was any way to run nvidia's proprietary drivers and nouveau on the same machine.  I'd really like to have KMS because I use the ttys a lot, but I also want to play nexuiz and assaultcube every now and then.  Is this possible though some method like keeping two kernels?  I'd be okay with rebooting to switch drivers, maybe even with editing xorg.conf.d/ .

#2 2010-06-25 22:10:39

Gusar

Re: nvida and nouveau in harmony?

It's possible even without rebooting. Check "Deactivating KMS and unloading Nouveau" here.

#3 2010-06-26 01:16:09

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

You'd need to replace symlinks for libgl I believe, since the nvidia drivers provide their own and nouveau uses 'standard' libgl.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-06-26 08:26:05

Gusar

ngoonee wrote:

You'd need to replace symlinks for libgl I believe, since the nvidia drivers provide their own and nouveau uses 'standard' libgl.

The nvidia libs and libgl clash, yeah, but if you use nouveau just for the framebuffer console, you don't need libgl installed in the first place.

#5 2010-06-26 08:28:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Gusar wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

The nvidia libs and libgl clash, yeah, but if you use nouveau just for the framebuffer console, you don't need libgl installed in the first place.

Hmm, doubt that was the OP's intent, somehow smile

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2010-06-26 15:28:54

gaunt

Actually, that seems like it was my intent - to use nouveau in the console for the better resolution, and have the option of switching to the proprietary drivers?

As someone who only has the proprietary drivers now, does this make sense:

* install nouveau
* configure xorg to use nouveau for the framebuffer, blacklist nvidia.
* when I want to switch, unload nouveau as the sample script, load nvidia, startx
* if I want to switch back, reverse the process.

Am I missing something in there?

#7 2010-06-27 10:43:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

That'll work. You'll have to manually force nvidia to overwrite the libgl provided by the 'libgl' package (which I think nouveau depends on), and you'd have to repeat that everytime libgl updates. I have not done this, just surmising from comments above and previous threads on the topic, this may eat your kittens.

Board footer