You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-26 09:35:01

v.blackwood

openbox + xcompmgr + urxvt + conky = :), except for one thing

I've got the setup listed in the subject, apart from one caveat.  I cannot seem to find a way to remove drop shadows from Orage.  I'm sure there's some way to make xcompmgr (or all compositing) ignore specific windows, and I'm trying to find that so I can set it for Orage.  Another solution would be to lower the 'level' of the orage or raise conky's 'level' so that Orage's shadow doesn't cover up conky.  I've attached a picture of what I mean and what specifically I want to get rid of.

15ua1d.jpg

Also, one more question,  I made a nice login screen that I want to make a theme out of, but SLiM starts in 800x600, so it wouldn't work very well sad.  It uses the top banner of the Arch site, so idk if it's 100% cool to post the background image here, but a mod can delete it if necessary.  Anyway, how do I get SLiM to load the proper display size so that this is not a problem?  I know my size, but it would be preferable if I could load VMWare-user along with SLiM so that it sets the display size automagically.  Only issue is that cmware-user is not suppose to be run as a daemon to my knowledge, and especially not as root.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2zizfyg.jpg  Second image cut down to a link due to size smile

Last edited by v.blackwood (2010-06-26 09:37:30)

#2 2010-06-26 09:58:31

lswest
Website

Re: openbox + xcompmgr + urxvt + conky = :), except for one thing

Not sure if this is entirely what you want, but from the xcompmgr manpage:

-C     When -c is specified, attempts to avoid painting shadows on panels and docks.

So try it with a capital C as well?

As for the SLIM question, I don't know, sorry.

Last edited by lswest (2010-06-26 09:59:15)

Lswest <- the first letter of my username is a lowercase "L".
"...the Linux philosophy is "laugh in the face of danger". Oops. Wrong one. "Do it yourself". That's it." - Linus Torvalds

#3 2010-06-26 12:00:09

okraits
Website

I guess you have to make Orage behave like a dock/panel to make the xcompmgr -C option work on Orage. Maybe you can play with openbox application specific settings to achieve that.

#4 2010-06-26 19:21:11

v.blackwood

mhm, I found *a way* to do it.  Made the conky below it a normal window, so it spawns above Orage since it opens later, and casts its own shadow.  seems to work so far.  Now I just need to figure out how to make a new line in Conky without spawning a [] character in its output.

Board footer