You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-26 16:07:59

Skohsl

CLI blocked by text after starting Xorg

I've just installed Archlinux together with the Catalyst drivers (HD4290) and Lxde.
On startup I begin with the command prompt, I log in and run xinit (.xinitrc, "exec startlxde"). Everything works great in lxde, but when I try to return to the command prompt (ctrl+f1), all I see is some text blocking the view, I can still blindly type and execute commands, killing X has no effect, the only way to get rid of the text is a complete reboot.
"... : Requesting control of PCIe PME from ACPI BIOS
... : Failed to receive controll from PCIe PME service: no _OSC support
... : PCIe01 failed with error -13"
This is the last piece of the text that blocks the view of the command prompt. Yet I don't know how this could explain the problem and it might be completely unrelated safe for the fact that it is blocking my view.

Also I am currently running two monitors in clone mode, when I start up, both screens display the command prompt, when in X both screens work, when I return to the command prompt only 1 screen gives any output and that screen is blocked by the text. There are also no errors in the xorg.0.log. I have no idea where to start looking for the problem.
The problem is not limited to lxde, but also when an xterm is made, so always when an X instance is made.

Last edited by Skohsl (2010-06-26 20:33:20)

#2 2010-06-26 19:04:40

abraham10

Re: CLI blocked by text after starting Xorg

I think you might have a video driver problem with displaying two screens. Why don't you try to start up Arch with just one monitor and see what happens. Also there is a word that you are saying that is not correct. "Command Prompt" is  Windows terminology. What your are referring to is the Bash(Unix Shell).

Last edited by abraham10 (2010-06-26 19:05:22)

Most of the question asked can be solved just by reading:
Beginner's Wiki.
Pacman Man.
AUR.

#3 2010-06-26 20:03:45

Skohsl

abraham10 wrote:

I think you might have a video driver problem with displaying two screens. Why don't you try to start up Arch with just one monitor and see what happens. Also there is a word that you are saying that is not correct. "Command Prompt" is  Windows terminology. What your are referring to is the Bash(Unix Shell).

Terminology was never my strong point. I have tried to start up with only one monitor, but the problem remains the same. The CLI is covered by text obscuring the view. Occasionally I can see that there is some text under it, but as soon as it is rendered, the text is re-rendered on top of it.

#4 2010-06-26 21:21:15

abraham10

I log in and run xinit (.xinitrc, "exec startlxde"). Everything works great in lxde, but when I try to return to the command prompt (ctrl+f1)

What do you mean by return to the CLI? Did you kill X?
How is it that you are starting your x server?
Are you logged in as a regular user or are you logged in as root then startx?

Last edited by abraham10 (2010-06-26 21:22:28)

Most of the question asked can be solved just by reading:
Beginner's Wiki.
Pacman Man.
AUR.

Board footer