You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-27 01:27:03

devspyder

Monitor Sleeps but no xorg.conf

Hello all,

I've just finished my first Arch Linux install and I must say it is by far the fastest distro Ive used. I am in love. But Im having 1 small issue. After like 5 minutes my monitor is going into "Power Save Mode". Ive searched and seen that the way to fix it is to edit the xorg.conf file, however
I dont seem to have one. Everything works fine, Im not having any graphics issues wich leads me to believe that Im using something other than xorg for my display. Does anyone know how to fix this so my monitor doesnt go to sleep anymore ? Thanks for your help

#2 2010-06-27 02:09:05

abraham10

Re: Monitor Sleeps but no xorg.conf

If you don't have a xorg.conf  file that means you skipped the Xorg configuration part in Beginners wiki. Also is this for a pc or laptop/netbook? Have you tried looking into acpi?

Most of the question asked can be solved just by reading:
Beginner's Wiki.
Pacman Man.
AUR.

#3 2010-06-27 06:28:43

oew

Try adding 'xset s off' to .xinitrc. Works great for me on my laptop smile

there's no place like ~/

#4 2010-06-27 08:33:21

tomk
Forum Fellow

abraham10 - fyi xorg.conf is no longer required in many cases, and the beginners' guide includes that information.

#5 2010-06-27 17:46:53

quigybo

You don't need a xorg.conf anymore if X sets itself up correctly without one, however you can override any defaults you want to by creating a basic xorg.conf and adding your options there.

In your case you want to override settings related to DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling). If you search the manpage of xorg.conf for "DPMS" you will see that you can change the timeout by making a ServerFlags section and adding some options there, or alternately in a Monitor section you can disable it completely.

For more info (beyond the man page) see

#6 2010-06-27 18:28:31

devspyder

I added  'xset s off' to .xinitrc but with no luck. After more digging I found something suggesting running  " xscreensaver-demo " from the terminal which I did which brought up the screensaver app. I then used the menu option in the xscreensaver app to kill the daemon and that fixed the issue. So it was XScreenSaver causing it the whole time.

My only issue now is where do I go to permanently stop the xscreensaver daemon from starting at startup ?

Also this is for a PC not a laptop. Thanks for all your help.

#7 2010-06-28 10:56:04

quigybo

You just need to figure out what is starting it, the location of which depends on your desktop environment. Common locations are ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh, ~/.config/autostart/, ~/.kde4/Autostart/, /etc/xdg/autostart/ etc.

Alternately you could just uninstall it...? Or just change the timeouts in xscreensaver-demo?

Board footer