You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-11 15:08:19

billbrown

continue aif install from files configuration step?

Greetings:

I was mostly through installing arch onto my system and accidentally killed the aif process with ctl+c after exiting the /etc/locale.gen file.  Is it possible to restart /arch/setup at the files configuration step or do I need to start over from scratch?  I have been using the beginners guide and looked through the AIF configuration file on the wiki but it didn't list the command line switches.

Thanks for your input.
Bill

#2 2011-03-11 15:53:14

Jebususu

Re: continue aif install from files configuration step?

Most likely best to start over, better safe than sorry sad

#3 2011-03-11 16:09:48

ANOKNUSA

Welcome to Arch, billbrown.  You could use the LiveCD to simply edit the remaining config files. I believe /etc/pacman.conf and /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist are the only ones necessary to boot into your own system and update it (double-check that, though).  You'd then have to set a root password and install grub.  If you don't feel comfortable doing that on your own, just start over.

#4 2011-03-13 07:16:53

lives2evil

I'm not very sure myself.
But in my opinion it's possible to run /arch/setup and skip the steps you've done (if you haven't restarted your computer).

tsujeruplive, tnarongisi... ... ... ... ɥsılƃuǝ sı sıɥʇ

#5 2011-03-13 17:38:33

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

lives2evil wrote:

I'm not very sure myself.
But in my opinion it's possible to run /arch/setup and skip the steps you've done (if you haven't restarted your computer).

that won't work. i need to make aif a bit more permissive in that regard.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#6 2011-03-14 05:33:19

lives2evil

Well, some how I got the impression it did work at least once for me. :d

tsujeruplive, tnarongisi... ... ... ... ɥsılƃuǝ sı sıɥʇ

#7 2011-03-14 13:43:12

billbrown

Greetings:

I ended up starting over from scratch. It took a little longer than I wanted but worked.  I'm up and running with arch now.  Thanks for the advice.

Bill.

#8 2011-10-06 00:04:47

bambams
Website

Dieter@be wrote:

that won't work. i need to make aif a bit more permissive in that regard.

That would certainly be nice. This is going to be the third time that I've run /arch/setup for this system (in the past two days...days only because I get annoyed having to start all over again and decide to do it another time). I think the `setterm -powersave' option causes my screen to go blank (I assume it's either suspended or shut off). Well, technically I'm running Arch in a Virtualbox VM so it's a virtual screen that blanks. I digress..

So I get to the point of picking packages, proceed to begin the installation, and move on to something else. By the time I get back the installation is done, but the screen is blank. Being a Vim user, I just instinctively reach for ESC as a generally 'safe' thing to do from the command line when you're not sure what state its in, but unfortunately that causes aif to abort. I can see that the packages installed properly, so it seems it should be trivial to just continue the installation, but as you said aif refuses to execute "workers" (I guess) out of order.

As a workaround, it might be nice to disable the `setterm -powersave' option by default on the LiveCD. Perhaps you could also change the behavior of `aif -p interactive' so it doesn't abort on ESC (but that might be expected behavior; I don't know, but I'd probably be fine with q ^^).

Last edited by bambams (2011-10-06 00:13:29)

perl -E '$_=q{V zrna gur orfg jvgu jung V fnl. }.
q{Vg qbrfa'\''g nyjnlf fbhaq gung jnl.};
tr/A-Ma-mN-Zn-z/N-Zn-zA-Ma-m/;say'

#9 2011-10-06 16:59:27

mhertz

Seriously, it would be better for you to learn to press shift or alt when encountering a black screen, than having to get aif changed, or disabling powersave completelly, just for helping out with people's bad habbits...

..Not trying to be a dick here, but it's just some constructive advice...

Board footer