You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-11 15:23:39

HybridTheory
Member
From: Jinan,China
Registered: 2005-07-04
Posts: 13

One question about battery

I'm using Dell inspiron 510m laptop.

After one charge I can use about only an hour.

Is that too short?

And if so what should I do?

Offline

#2 2005-07-11 19:59:03

tomk
Forum Fellow
From: Ireland
Registered: 2004-07-21
Posts: 9,838

Re: One question about battery

Is it likely that you or someone else has been using the laptop for long periods with both the battery and the charger connected? If so, the battery's effectiveness will have been reduced. The only solution is to get a new battery - and I'm speaking from experience here.

Offline

#3 2005-07-12 00:55:55

HybridTheory
Member
From: Jinan,China
Registered: 2005-07-04
Posts: 13

Re: One question about battery

thanks,but I bougut it just half a month ago,and at that time it's new.

I think maybe sth wrong with my configuration,but I don't what is wrong.

Offline

#4 2005-07-12 01:13:13

HybridTheory
Member
From: Jinan,China
Registered: 2005-07-04
Posts: 13

Re: One question about battery

I'm new to laptop and I don't know what should I care.

I didn't use acpi , is that the problem?

Offline

#5 2005-07-12 01:46:11

iphitus
Forum Fellow
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2004-10-09
Posts: 4,927

Re: One question about battery

tomk wrote:

Is it likely that you or someone else has been using the laptop for long periods with both the battery and the charger connected? If so, the battery's effectiveness will have been reduced. The only solution is to get a new battery - and I'm speaking from experience here.

Furphy. http://www.dansdata.com/danletters017.htm

And I can agree with it being a furphy.

I run my laptop flat at school during the week, and when I come home, it goes straight on the power. I find at the end of each term, my battery life is slightly shortened, because of the wear of the daily cycles.

Over the holiday, I have my power attached 24/7. My battery life is no different after the school holidays to before them. For example, I ran with it on power almost constantly for a two month period over christmas, and it did no damage to battery life.

You do more damage, discharging the battery, and then charging it up again.

iphitus

Offline

#6 2005-07-12 02:40:34

HybridTheory
Member
From: Jinan,China
Registered: 2005-07-04
Posts: 13

Re: One question about battery

so what should I do?

Offline

#7 2005-07-12 02:49:50

HybridTheory
Member
From: Jinan,China
Registered: 2005-07-04
Posts: 13

Re: One question about battery

iphitus wrote:
tomk wrote:

Is it likely that you or someone else has been using the laptop for long periods with both the battery and the charger connected? If so, the battery's effectiveness will have been reduced. The only solution is to get a new battery - and I'm speaking from experience here.

Furphy. http://www.dansdata.com/danletters017.htm

And I can agree with it being a furphy.

I run my laptop flat at school during the week, and when I come home, it goes straight on the power. I find at the end of each term, my battery life is slightly shortened, because of the wear of the daily cycles.

Over the holiday, I have my power attached 24/7. My battery life is no different after the school holidays to before them. For example, I ran with it on power almost constantly for a two month period over christmas, and it did no damage to battery life.

You do more damage, discharging the battery, and then charging it up again.

iphitus

Thank you.
I've read that letter but I've only charged the battery about only 5 timies and other time I run it from its mains adapter.

Offline

#8 2005-07-12 05:43:15

iphitus
Forum Fellow
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2004-10-09
Posts: 4,927

Re: One question about battery

What is it's advertised battery length? If it's short of that, you should take it back to the manufacturer or wherever you bought it.

If it's advertised length is about an hour and you want to lengthen it, try using a speedstepping program like cpufreqd, powernowd, and a multitude of others.

iphitus

Offline

#9 2005-07-12 06:36:53

HybridTheory
Member
From: Jinan,China
Registered: 2005-07-04
Posts: 13

Re: One question about battery

It's advertised battery length is 2.5 to 4 hours.

you mean,the advertised battery length is the time that I can use when I haven't used any power management?

Offline

#10 2005-07-12 06:41:43

HybridTheory
Member
From: Jinan,China
Registered: 2005-07-04
Posts: 13

Re: One question about battery

Offline

#11 2005-07-12 08:44:11

tomk
Forum Fellow
From: Ireland
Registered: 2004-07-21
Posts: 9,838

Re: One question about battery

iphitus wrote:

Furphy.

Whatever you say, iph - like I said

tomk wrote:

I'm speaking from experience here.

My laptop is old though - maybe the tehnology has improved since.

Offline

#12 2005-07-12 08:53:10

iphitus
Forum Fellow
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2004-10-09
Posts: 4,927

Re: One question about battery

tomk: All batteries will lose charge with time. And I also speak through experience with my computer.

I refer to lithium ion based batteries, so maybe you have something different? Nearly all modern computers now, such as HybridTheory's would be LiI based.

iphitus

Offline

#13 2005-07-12 09:28:35

tomk
Forum Fellow
From: Ireland
Registered: 2004-07-21
Posts: 9,838

Re: One question about battery

This is one of those threads that could either go on and on, or could just get dropped. Personally, I would be delighted to be wrong, unconcerned about the actual cause of my problem, and relieved that HybridTheory has already ruled out the usage pattern that can cause this alleged condition.

Offline

#14 2005-07-12 09:50:47

iphitus
Forum Fellow
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2004-10-09
Posts: 4,927

Re: One question about battery

Meh, I offered a solution, if the battery life is nowhere near the advertised battery life, take it back to where you bought it

I missed HybridTheory's last post, but 1 hour is nowhere near 2-4, so he should probably take it back, he mighta got a defective battery or system.

iphitus

Offline

#15 2005-07-12 11:40:15

HybridTheory
Member
From: Jinan,China
Registered: 2005-07-04
Posts: 13

Re: One question about battery

ok.

first thanks to all.

now I find another solution,or it's just the problem.
After I turn the screen darker now it works more than 2 hours and less than 3 hours.But it's too dark.

The day after tomorrow I will go out for half a month so I think after that I will get another battery.

Thanks for your answers again.

Offline

#16 2005-07-13 11:42:36

citral
Member
Registered: 2005-05-07
Posts: 87

Re: One question about battery

Did you try your battery length under Windows? Windows is evil and all, but it can be useful to determine whether it is an hardware issue or a (Linux) configuration issue!


One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero,
they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.

Offline

#17 2005-07-13 13:30:09

HybridTheory
Member
From: Jinan,China
Registered: 2005-07-04
Posts: 13

Re: One question about battery

not yet,since I don't have a windows OS.

But I think maybe windows use power management by default?

But I didn't use power management and now I use it ,now I can use for 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Offline

#18 2005-07-13 15:54:07

iphitus
Forum Fellow
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2004-10-09
Posts: 4,927

Re: One question about battery

If it's rated at 2-4 hours as you said and you're only getting 1 and a half, your battery is defective and you should return the computer and battery to the place of purchase.

Offline

#19 2005-07-13 16:22:19

jerem
Member
From: France
Registered: 2005-01-15
Posts: 310

Re: One question about battery

I've got an Inspiton 8600 and my battery lasts far more than that.

Here are my advices :

- once a month, totally unload and reload the battery.
- use a cpu scaling program (cpudyn,cpufreqd, powernow).
- use laptop-mode-tools(hd spindown)
- set the appropriate level of brightness of your screen.
- put a second battery in the bay.

Offline

#20 2005-07-13 16:44:06

iphitus
Forum Fellow
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: 2004-10-09
Posts: 4,927

Re: One question about battery

jerem wrote:

I've got an Inspiton 8600 and my battery lasts far more than that.

Here are my advices :

- once a month, totally unload and reload the battery.
- use a cpu scaling program (cpudyn,cpufreqd, powernow).
- use laptop-mode-tools(hd spindown)
- set the appropriate level of brightness of your screen.
- put a second battery in the bay.

He has a new computer, which the battery has just been charged about 5 times, if he's getting shit battery life like this, he shouldnt work around it, he should return it asap.

iphitus

Offline

#21 2005-07-13 18:40:07

jerem
Member
From: France
Registered: 2005-01-15
Posts: 310

Re: One question about battery

Did you actually charge it fully before using the computer ?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB