You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-10 12:05:06

guilleix

Problem with headphones

Hello, I recently updated the system and I can no longer listen to music only through my headphones. I can either listen through both the speakers and the headphones or not at all. I am using Pulseaudio. I tried messing with alsamixer but there is no "Headhone" channel and I don't know what to do. I also tried using the git version of pulseaudio.

What can I do?

#2 2011-10-10 12:35:57

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Problem with headphones

I think the output switching is done at the driver level and not by pulseaudio, so if I am right it means it is a regression in the drivers, which means it was a kernel update that broke it for you. I may be wrong though.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2011-10-13 07:25:31

vagvaz

Re: Problem with headphones

Sometimes the headphones are controlled in alsa by the front channel ( at least this is my case).
I had the same problem and  fix it by changing a line in

/usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf

For me in alsa laptop speakers are controlled by the speakers channel and the headphones by the front channel.
I changed the following section

[Element Speaker]
required = any
 switch = merge
 volume = off
 override-map.1 = all
 override-map.2 = all-left,all-right

to

[Element Speaker]
 required = any
 switch = mute
 volume = off
 override-map.1 = all
 override-map.2 = all-left,all-right

Before the pulseaudio upgrade there was an option to choose between profiles ( I think in pavucontrol were presented as ports) but after the upgrade the option disappeared.
In the first version of the post I altered the analog-output.conf file but this didn't work after reboot my laptop speakers had a 50 volume.
From what I understand this file is loaded from configuration of phonon in KDE and to my opinion is more of a hack than a proper solution.

Last edited by vagvaz (2011-10-13 14:54:55)

Board footer