You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-07 12:10:27

Jorsalfar

Can't get M-audiophile 2496 to work

I have just installed Arch, and I cant get any sound out of my M-audiophile 2496.
I have followed some guides, but still no sound.
To start with just after the install the card wasn't selected as default in alsamixer, but it was shown in the sound settings in gnome.
I made the card default in alsamixer with .asoundrc, but now it's not shown in the sound settings. No idea why..

I have tried the stuff in this bug, but it didn't help.

And yes, my user is in the audio group..

Here's some outputs:

In rc.conf I load this:
MODULES=(snd-ice1712 snd-pcm-oss soundcore)

and in mkinitcpio.conf:
MODULES="snd_ice1712"

aplay -l:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi [ICE1712 multi]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

.asoundrc:

pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}
ctl.!default{
    type hw
    card 0
}

When I try to play a song using mpg123 I get this:

[sigurd@sigurd ~]$ mpg123 asd.mp3 
High Performance MPEG 1.0/2.0/2.5 Audio Player for Layers 1, 2 and 3
	version 1.13.4; written and copyright by Michael Hipp and others
	free software (LGPL/GPL) without any warranty but with best wishes

Playing MPEG stream 1 of 1: asd.mp3 ...
[format.c:265] error: Unable to set up output format! Constraints: 44100, 22050 or 11025Hz.
[mpg123.c:665] error: ...in decoding next frame: Unable to set up output format! (code 1)

[0:00] Decoding of asd.mp3 finished.

In vlc I don't get any errors, but no sound either..

Really hope someone can help me. I'm pretty new to Arch, so I guess it could be just some stupidness made by me.

#2 2011-10-07 21:11:18

Echo

Re: Can't get M-audiophile 2496 to work

I have this card, but, I set it up a long time ago and I forget things quickly. Anyway, I'll try to help until someone else comes along.

The first thing I would do is go into bios and disable the onboard soundcard. This will make 100% sure the other soundcard is not causing you a problem. I used the envy24control (gui for setting up the sound card) which is in the alsa-tools package in the AUR. Envy24control is for these types of cards. I found it easier to configure using the gui, but, there are a lot of options.

I don't use pulseaudio (which is part of gnome I think) so I can't help you there if thats the problem.

I didn't have to have anything special in my modules in /etc/conf. They're automatically loaded from the get go.

I'm afraid I'm not much help but it's a nice soundcard. Good luck...

#3 2011-10-13 13:38:38

Jorsalfar

I have tried the envy24control now, but I still got no sound I'm afraid.
It would be of much help if someone with this card could paste some lines from their config files or something.

#4 2011-10-14 03:58:22

triplesquarednine

Jorsalfar wrote:

I have tried the envy24control now, but I still got no sound I'm afraid.
It would be of much help if someone with this card could paste some lines from their config files or something.

Have you read the ALSA documentation for your card?

off first glance of your config (.asoundrc) everything looked okay, but i thought i would check the documentation, as i would half-expect you might need to specify your card in the 1st line. usually, the card is specified. For a tascam that i own it looks like this;

pcm.!usb_stream {

It looks like you might need to change your config, maybe. For the ice1712 the documentation says it should look like this;

pcm.ice1712 {
          type hw
          card 0
       }

ctl.ice1712 {
          type hw
          card 0
       }

ALSA documentation fo your card, found here;

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index. … le-ice1712

the .asoundrc configuration is at the bottom of the page, yours seems to be incorrect.

You also might want to have a read through ALSA's wiki on Multiple soundcards;

http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards

You will probably require knowing this stuff anyway, if you plan on using different devices - ie: audio interface, usb-midi keyboard, webcam, onboard-audio, etc.  You can specify loading order of your various cards, persistent through reboot. So your ice1712 is always hw0, your keyboard is always hw1, etc. ..and thenn you can specify them in your .asoundrc. there are other useful tips and tricks usually kicking around in the ALSA documentation too wink

...and AFAIK, contrary to what the other commenter said, you shouldn't need to disable your onboard audio, as it it shouldn't cause your card any problems, if your have the 'multiple cards' stuff setup, properly. But hey, if you're not going to use it, then it probably makes sense to disable it.

cheerz

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2011-10-14 04:03:49)

Board footer