You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-22 00:16:13

KyleEdwards

Can't play audio files

Hello,

After a system upgrade a while back, I've found myself unable to play MP3 and M4A files using VLC, Banshee, and Rhythmbox. I can still play them with mplayer or the following command:

$ gst-launch-0.10 filesrc location=something.mp3 ! mad ! alsasink

I've tried removing ~/.gstreamer-0.10, to no avail. Any ideas?

#2 2011-09-25 09:51:51

Strike0

Re: Can't play audio files

No idea yet unfortunately, but I have just encountered the same problem. Happened in this week, when there was an update to gstreamer itself. It looks like the .mp3 extension is not registered anymore.

[EDIT] 
Thanks to another post on this great forum (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52879), I think I managed to solve it by installing the ugly plugins:

pacman -S gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins

Mp3's now play again in Nautilus preview and movie player (dont have a music player installed yet).
Maybe you want to check that you have those installed.

Last edited by Strike0 (2011-09-25 10:12:04)

#3 2011-10-14 12:02:20

Shark

Re: Can't play audio files

Strike0 wrote:

No idea yet unfortunately, but I have just encountered the same problem. Happened in this week, when there was an update to gstreamer itself. It looks like the .mp3 extension is not registered anymore.

[EDIT] 
Thanks to another post on this great forum (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=52879), I think I managed to solve it by installing the ugly plugins:

pacman -S gstreamer0.10-ugly-plugins

Mp3's now play again in Nautilus preview and movie player (dont have a music player installed yet).
Maybe you want to check that you have those installed.

That totally fixed my problem. Thank you.

If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them.
Henry David Thoreau

Registered Linux User: #559057

Board footer