You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-11 17:11:42

leo2501

City driving simulators available for linux and low hardware

Hi! i recently discover a couple of open source racing games available for linux...

vdrift - http://vdrift.net
torcs - www.torcs.org
rigsofrods - www.rigsofrods.com

but i found nothing like a city driving simulator, you know, something like vdrift, but that the track is a city like gran theft auto 3 or similar... something with no amazing graphics, but something that works, i found this game http://citycardriving.com/ but is only for windows and the requirements are pretty high compared to vdrift, etc... so im looking for something low enought to run on a netbook... i know that gaming is not for a netbook, but come on... a 10 to 5 years old game run smoothly on a computer like this... so... why theres no light and free alternative to a simulator like this one? why is there a limitation on hardware nowadays to make something that was completely possible years ago? i mean, if a gran theft auto 3 like game is possible on very low hardware... why an open source game like vdrift, etc require so much graphic power? i mean, an nvidia or ati card? yes i know, but i think that the way that is heading is not very unix like... i mean, okey, vdrift like open source games can have modules that if loaded, adds to the graphic detail or complexity of the simulation, but that will allow very low hardware to run the things it can withstand... well i think i really miss the point of my original post, lol :D

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

#2 2011-10-11 17:30:27

karol
Archivist

Re: City driving simulators available for linux and low hardware

GTA 1 and 2 are freeware now: http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/
Not sure how well they work in wine.

#3 2011-10-11 19:57:56

brebs

Midtown Madness 2 works in Wine - a game rather than simulator, though smile

#4 2011-10-12 13:46:47

leo2501

i'll check for those big_smile thanks! i rather prefer abandonware and old games with good replayability such as those from 96-2000 it seems its the only alternative to run those with WINE smile

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

#5 2011-10-12 15:25:58

Parmazae

Thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited by Parmazae (2011-10-18 20:40:41)

Thanks,
Parmazae

archlinux x86_64

#6 2011-10-13 08:23:25

DSpider

I have played Serious Sam in a VirtualBox session (512 MB RAM allocated to the virtual machine, with MicroXP installed, all inside a 3 GB .vdi file).

I guess you could try that too.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#7 2011-10-13 13:53:12

karol
Archivist

DSpider wrote:

I have played Serious Sam in a VirtualBox session (512 MB RAM allocated to the virtual machine, with MicroXP installed, all inside a 3 GB .vdi file).

I guess you could try that too.

Is Serious Sam a city driving simulator?

#8 2011-10-13 16:14:16

pauligrinder
Website

karol wrote:

Is Serious Sam a city driving simulator?

He probably meant that since Serious Sam is playable in VirtualBox, one could also try playing some windows racing games that way...

If you like Metal, check out my music here. And please comment/rate!

#9 2011-10-13 16:18:46

leo2501

i think that will be an alternative to wine... only that its more resource hungry i think

#10 2011-10-13 16:20:30

karol
Archivist

leo2501 wrote:

i think that will be an alternative to wine... only that its more resource hungry i think

Exactly.
Plus, Virtualbox needs an actual Windows to run a game. OP mentioned he uses a netbook ...

#11 2011-10-14 20:55:45

DSpider

VirtualBox as alternative to Wine, yes. But on a netbook it would probably be better to dual boot because of the low CPU power to run a virtual machine, experimental 3D drivers (on less tested hardware, on top of that)...

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

Board footer