You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-17 09:46:34

setxkbmap variant Error loading new keyboard description

Hi,

Yesterday (after a week) I've performed upgrade (pacman -Syu).
Among many, there were also several xorg-* packages.
I'm using Openbox, with:

setxkbmap -option '' -option grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,lv3:ralt_switch,eurosign:e us,de,sk -variant ,qwerty,qwerty

for keyb. layout switching, which worked well till last friday when I used it for the last time.

Today (haven't needed the function to switch the layout in the weekend), I needed to switch my keyb. layout, when I noticed it ain't working.
I've started investigating in CLI, where I noticed, that there is some problem with setxkbmap's parameter "-variant ,qwerty,qwerty".
Error message in CLI is:

Error loading new keyboard description

Without this -variant parameter, including all the rest from mine command, it works fine.
Also if I keep there only one varian, e.g. " -variant qwerty" it works, but not as it worked before, which is the case what I need.

The /var/log/Xorg.0.log shows this sort of error at each attempt to run the command with that problematic -variant parameter:

[  9441.812] (EE) Error loading keymap /tmp/server-0.xkm

What has changed in e.g. xorg-server-common after the upgrade?
Or is this some sort of a bug?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

#2 2011-10-17 10:59:27

raymondcal

Re: setxkbmap variant Error loading new keyboard description

Same thing here just after this morning update : my keyboard is set on French (variant) in Gnome system settings, but stays in English (USA) at every boot.
I have to use the ’setxkbmap fr’ command in order to have have a french layout…

#3 2011-10-17 11:18:45

raymondcal wrote:

Same thing here just after this morning update : my keyboard is set on French (variant) in Gnome system settings, but stays in English (USA) at every boot.
I have to use the ’setxkbmap fr’ command in order to have have a french layout…

but do you get the same error messages as I, posted above?

EDIT: bug report created in here https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26485

Last edited by 8472 (2011-10-17 11:58:22)

Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

#4 2011-10-19 18:13:14

DojoMortal

Got exactly the same problem here: french bepo keyboard gives an error, obliged to force french latin9 keyboard. But I do not get any error message of the same nature in Xorg.log

#5 2011-10-19 21:18:15

so, I've finally found the reason of mine error.
I was using the QWERTY variant for the DE layout, and this has changed with the xorg-* update.
in this file is also an list of variants "/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/xorg.lst" , and the line with QWERTY for DE is gone.
but it was present before in the form of this entry: "qwerty          de: qwerty"

thus now I have to use the -variant in the form ",,qwerty":

setxkbmap -option '' -option grp:switch,grp:alt_shift_toggle,lv3:ralt_switch,eurosign:e us,de,sk -variant ,,qwerty

damn it, I want it back!
I'm curious, if this has been caused by decision at the Xorg devepers, or if this is an mistake of package maintainer?

#6 2011-10-25 17:12:38

raymondcal

Hi !
It seems you are right : the "français (variante)" (or "french (alternative)") keymap, wich I used to use, doesn’t work anymore. I have to choose the "français" one in the Gnome3 System Settings, and then it works.
Strange…

#7 2011-10-25 17:32:02

hi,

thanks to help of JGC https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26485#comment84729 , he discovered, that the mine one de(qwerty) has been removed on a purpose by developers of xkeyboard-config http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xkeyboard-c … 47476884af
perhaps similar step has been made also on other languages.

#8 2011-11-02 19:49:26

DojoMortal

Still does not work for me sad

I use fr(bepo), fr(variant) and en(us) and I just can't select them from GNOME menu. I'm obliged to use command line to change keyboard layout… Event worst, I notice when I click on the keyboard layout settings on the gnome bar and select a layout, the layout is not changed in the gnome bar itself !

I think something wrong with my configuration but I can't figure out where… Is there a way to put gnome in debug or verbose mode somehow ?

Board footer