You are not logged in.

#126 2011-10-18 01:38:34

zester
Website

Re: Quantum Project (KDE4/Qt4 Fork)

Right now I am working on the second generation of QDesktop you
will be able to apply various effects and transitions to the background.

Example:
DropShadow
Blur
Mirror

Inspiration for this generation is OSX Lion's Desktop as you can see.

Instead of using my own Mimetype detection library I ended up using kdelibs
Mimetype/Desktop file/File Associations api for various reasons.

Also I ended up just using Kwin for the window manager. Eggwm ended up not working out so well
it is far from being standard compliant and is missing a bunch of features that I need.

It's not a problem because I can fully control and customize kwin, in the screenshot below I have all of kwins features
turned off excepts compositing.   

1zcol7o.png
Larger View

I can't upload my code yet because I have a really crappy 7kbs wifi connection you can guess how long it would take for me to sync with my github repo lol. I will try to sync from a different location when I can so you can have a look at my progress.

Last edited by zester (2011-10-18 02:00:47)

#127 2011-10-18 03:27:31

taylorchu

simply awesome.

I can't upload my code yet because I have a really crappy 7kbs wifi connection you can guess how long it would take for me to sync with my github repo lol. I will try to sync from a different location when I can so you can have a look at my progress.

you definitely need to upgrade. 7kb? acceptable in 1995, not now.

"After you do enough distro research, you will choose Arch."

#128 2011-10-18 03:39:10

ctarwater

zester wrote:

I have a really crappy 7kbs wifi connection

No wonder you get so much work done, you don't have the internet to distract you like we all do.  tongue

#129 2011-10-18 13:56:03

zester
Website

Here is another more complete look at the desktop.

I am trying for a "Win 7" like Window Decorations (Transparent/Blur Background/Large Borders) and "Win 7"
like Desktop Panel.

The Desktop it self is based on Mac OSX Lions.

2ppxaie.png
Larger View

Last edited by zester (2011-10-18 14:00:16)

#130 2011-10-18 20:42:04

zester
Website

Made a lot more progress today here is how the desktop looks now.

70uoao.png
Larger View

#131 2011-10-22 16:46:06

MW

I'm following this with great interest, very, very well done so far!

#132 2011-10-23 02:11:43

semog

i hope you continue work friend, i dont know how to code, if i know i trying to help because i prefer Qt to Gtk and KDE is the only so i hope you can make your project work i will try it when i have time maybe next weekend. Is time to use something like KDE on simple hardware.

Congrats

#133 2011-10-26 02:03:38

silas

I have pulled your code but having a couple problems when running it.

First the DISPLAY variable isn't being set and every time I want to start a GUI application I need to DISPLAY=:0 terminator.

Not sure if this is a problem with your version of EggWM or not, but I am having trouble getting click-focus working.

Also would you mind sharing your .xinitrc?

BTW Love the project, good job.

#134 2011-10-31 14:52:15

sxe

Hey there, any news about PKGBUILDs? Would love to try it.

#135 2011-10-31 21:43:05

silas

I have yet to see any, but compiling it manually is really easy and you can try some components out or the full suite.

Currently there is still not general readme file that helps you setup Quantum so you have to a lot of manual hacking.

I have successfully managed to run QDesktop and some other minor things.  The WM, EggWM seems kinda funky and I couldn't stuff like alt-tab working and switching windows required clicking on the titlebar or the window border.

#136 2011-11-01 10:22:27

dodosoft

silas wrote:

I have yet to see any, but compiling it manually is really easy and you can try some components out or the full suite.

Currently there is still not general readme file that helps you setup Quantum so you have to a lot of manual hacking.

I have successfully managed to run QDesktop and some other minor things.  The WM, EggWM seems kinda funky and I couldn't stuff like alt-tab working and switching windows required clicking on the titlebar or the window border.

Unfortunately what you're compiling is an old version and it's not what zester is currently working on, as you can read on his last posts. The codebase seems to have changed completely.

Let's wait and see, I hope that zester will upload something new soon; he created a new repo on his github account but it's still empty.

Last edited by dodosoft (2011-11-01 10:23:11)

#137 2011-11-01 12:16:36

silas

He might be interested in some of my changes as I fixed a bug dealing with icons not present in the icon theme pack you choose.

No wonder it takes him so long to upload.  There are binaries and object files inside the report.  Removing the binary files will not reduce the repository, the only way to fix it is to create a new repository from scratch only including files that are needed to build an application.  I have started doing that with my branched version of his code.  Only have QDesktop as it is the only thing that I am using at the moment.

#138 2011-11-03 05:46:53

zester
Website

Lol sorry guys I will get around to it. I am working with only half a keyboard right now do to a coffee mishap. And I am helping bring some justice for this poor girl  http://youranonnews.tumblr.com/post/122 … -using-the

But yes the new code base is very different than whats on my github account. I promise a huge update soon. Been really busy with Halloween and three kids smile

Last edited by zester (2011-11-03 05:49:18)

#139 2011-11-03 07:55:26

Lothium

Nice to hear smile. Take your time, its very important to have free time and don't rush things. Enjoy Halloween with your three kids!

Best regards!

#140 2011-11-22 03:36:16

ctarwater

Hey Zester, how's that keyboard mishap?

#141 2011-11-24 17:35:03

theringmaster
Website

I subscribed to this topic as there hasn't been a qt DE other than kde before. This is very interesting.

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#142 2011-11-24 21:41:52

syltman

Hey maybe something like this would be cool to have for the Quantum Project http://www.webupd8.org/2011/11/oxygen-a … -with.html

#143 2011-11-28 12:07:10

STiAT

I just found this via google, and you're taking an interesting approach. I'll test the next code drop you do, seems as if commit often and early isn't your philosophy ;-).

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#144 2011-12-19 04:31:52

ctarwater

Sadly it seems like this project may be dead since there have been no updates in his GIT for a few months now.  Razer-QT may be the best option for a KDE-free QT environment for now, they just released an update and although its trying to be a full DE hopefully it'll be more modular than KDE is.

http://yarpen.cz/rants/?p=43

Last edited by ctarwater (2011-12-19 04:32:38)

#145 2011-12-19 06:54:12

ElderSnake

D:

I just read this thread from start to finish and was getting rather excited. A pity if it is dead.

Arch Linux - Intel E5200 Desktop (MATE GTK3)  | Fedora 25 - ASUS Core-i7 Optimus Laptop

#146 2011-12-19 06:58:42

ctarwater

ElderSnake wrote:

D:

I just read this thread from start to finish and was getting rather excited. A pity if it is dead.

Agreed.  Hopefully if Zester is burnt out on it he'll at least be willing to post a final git push of what he had up to this point.

#147 2012-01-01 09:29:44

zester
Website

No the projects not dead guys, I took a break from working on the desktop for awhile and started working on Qt5, SFML, OpenSceneGraph  & ZeroMQ

Qt & OpenSceneGraph Loading a model from blender.
wj7tkw.png
Larger View

Qt & SFML2
m8igef.png
Larger View

I also maintain a bunch of different types of sfml2 example's to work with the current branch.
1. SFML2 & OSG
2. SFML2 & Box2D
3. SFML2 & Cairo/QPainter
4. SFML2 and Theora

I have also been working on some free/open 2D/3D sprites and models here are a couple.
10s817d.png
Larger View

1zdr95e.png
Larger View

Here is a HD 2D Background Test for a 2D Game
14l2ct5.png
Larger View

I am waiting to see what Qt5 brings to the table for the desktop, as of right now there is a new mimetype parser
that can replace the kde4 one that I am using now.

I have also been experimenting with using ZeroMQ specifically
INPROC an In-Process communication model & IPC an Inter-Process communication model.
With OpenGL to build a Display server protocol (Like wayland) but sits on a very thin x11 layer,
so it can take advantage of nvidia and ati hardware accelerated drivers.

Example uses Qt for System Library's & XML Parser, SFML2 for its display, graphics, audio and input and ZeroMQ
for its client/server network layer. The client simply passes xml to the server over IPC, the server gets the request
parses the xml and produces the following. If you click on say an icon the server passes that event to the client and the
client then does something or tells the server to do something. Cool thing is its programming language independent, meaning
clients have no dependencies you could use "bash and curl" to construct applications. For now its just a concept and has some major "thread"
blocking issues but here is a screenshot anyways.
6408s3.png
Larger View

I know it looks like all the other desktop related screenshot, the point is that the client
told the server to construct what you see in the screenshot. Much like how Xlib talks to
XServer. Everything is a window. But the display is all OpenGL and everything is in a parent/child
like scenegraph. Think Wayland/Mutter/Clutter but 1000 times faster. The network layer alone
kicks the dog p$%^ in terms of speed/features and easy to use compared to anything in use
right now. You should check out ZeroMQ has a binding for just about every language. http://www.zeromq.org/

This project will never die I am just building up my skill set smile
This is all I do but I also help out in alot of other community's

For instance are you a SFML2 C++ user ever wonder how to get easy 3d graphics in SFML2?

// g++ main.cpp -o main -lsfml-window -lsfml-graphics -lsfml-system -losg -losgDB -losgGA -losgUtil 

#include <SFML/Graphics.hpp> 

#include <osgUtil/SceneView> 
#include <osg/Node> 
#include <osg/CameraNode> 
#include <osg/Group> 
#include <osgDB/ReadFile> 
#include <osg/PositionAttitudeTransform> 

int  main() 
{ 
   sf::RenderWindow window(sf::VideoMode(800, 600, 32), "SFML2 OpenSceneGraph Example1"); 

// Load a sprite to display 
      sf::Texture texture; 
      if (!texture.LoadFromFile("../data/background.jpg")) 
              return EXIT_FAILURE; 
       sf::Sprite sprite(texture); 

// OSG Code Start 

// View 
   osgUtil::SceneView* viewer = new osgUtil::SceneView(); 
   viewer->setDefaults(); 

// Camera 
        osg::Camera* camera; 
   camera = viewer->getCamera(); 
   camera->setViewport(20, 20, 640, 480); 
   camera->setClearColor(osg::Vec4(0, 0, 0, 0)); 

// Root Scene Node 
   osg::Group* root = new osg::Group(); 

// Transformation Object for our 3D Model 
   osg::PositionAttitudeTransform* meshTrans = new            
        osg::PositionAttitudeTransform(); 
   meshTrans->setPosition(osg::Vec3d( 3,  0, -6)); 

// 3D Model 
   osg::Node* mesh = osgDB::readNodeFile("../data/ship.3ds"); 
   root->addChild(meshTrans); 
   meshTrans->addChild(mesh); 

// Set Root Scene Node to View and Init Vew 
   viewer->setSceneData(root); 
   viewer->init(); 

// OSG Code End 

// Start the game loop 
        while (window.IsOpened()) 
          { 
           // Process events 
            sf::Event event; 
            while (window.PollEvent(event)) 
            { 
                   // Close window : exit 
                   if (event.Type == sf::Event::Closed) 
                    window.Close(); 
            } 

window.Clear(); 

window.Draw(sprite); 

// OSG Code Start 

window.SaveGLStates(); 
      viewer->update(); 
      viewer->cull(); 
      viewer->draw(); 
      window.RestoreGLStates(); 

// OSG Code End       

window.Display(); 
   } 
} 

smile All you need is SFML2 and OpenSceneGraph v3 and your set.

This question alone has troubled many beginners, as simple as the solution/code is.
I was the one who had to write up the example because none of the SFML experienced regulars
cared enough to take time out of there day and be like here you go this should get you started.

I do a lot of that for people smile

Last edited by zester (2012-01-01 11:13:49)

#148 2012-01-01 15:28:37

Unia
Website

Glad to see this is not dead! I'm using KDE now but wouldn't mind a lightweight alternative!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#149 2012-01-02 01:35:01

ctarwater

Zester, you have no idea how excited this makes me!  Thanks for the update.

#150 2012-01-02 07:00:17

zester
Website

Ok I have a couple of really really cool things to report!

1. I fixed the thread blocking issue with the experimental display server. I threw 1000 clients at it all at once
and it didn't skip a beat.  Then I shut the display server down and fired up another 1000 clients and then started the display
server and once again the display server didn't miss a beat.

Did I tell you guy's that it didn't matter if you started the display server or the clients first. For instance if you had an
client that did photo editing (think gimp). You could boot archlinux into the commandline and start your gimp like
application, the client will just sit there. Then whenever you were ready you could start the display server and BAM
your gimp like application is just there waiting for you. smile Thats just tooo cool in its self.

2.  I have the whole Qt Graphics stack (QImage, QPainter, QtSvg, ...) working in the SFML2 display server prototype, everything
except QWidgets and QtOpenGL but I wasn't planning on using those anyways, reason being is that those two modules are what
caused me 99% of the problems I had with UI customization and performance. But now you can build every UI in svg if you wanted to
everything even your Window Manager & Themes, Gui & Themes, Mouse Cursor, Icons. anything like that can be done using svg
and then you can apply any effect that you could possible conceive using Qt's Paint System and or OpenGL shaders. You could apply
Blur & Pixelate effects to the whole display or a single pixel.  Performance is actually really really good, I don't have any benchmarks
but the classic tiger.svg demo load's instantly.  You can also ajust your displays frame rate. This is useful for example if your just doing
standard tasks like surfing the web or listening to music while your drawing something in what ever graphics app, You might want to turn
your framerate down to 30FPS, and then when your playing a game you might want to turn your framerate up, this can be done automatically
by  having a simple performance priority like application or setting.

tiger.svg at 300px Width and 300px Height
qps4tl.png
Larger View

same tiger.svg at 3000px Width and 3000px Height
1058d48.png
Larger View

3. Now that I have Qpainter ... QtSvg working  and being that everything is rendered to GL textures, Another cool thing that will be coming
is if you like your Compiz Fusion like effects, then you will be happy to know that I wont have to make any major changes to the system to
support compiz like features, should work out of the box. You could then grab any GLSL shader code of the net and most of it will just work
really depends what the shader code does, but for the most part it wll be as simple as wow cool effect ill take that shader code and use it on my
desktop.

One last screenshot this one is of video I have ffmpeg and opengl working
so you can play and audio/video format that ffmpeg support, plus you can also
get video from any device that ffmpeg supports like your webcam.
Note: The screenshot looks messed up because of gimp and I took the capture while
the video was playing.

r28034.png
Larger View

Thats all I have for now smile

Last edited by zester (2012-01-02 08:26:32)

Board footer