You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-20 19:19:52

HalfEmptyHero

Arch installer error: could not create lvm-vg

This is my first time trying to install arch and I am running into some trouble. I'm setting up system encryption, so when I got to the disk setup I chose manually configure block devices, filesystems and mountpoints. Here I created a 200MB /boot, and then the rest of the hard drive a set up as dm-crypt and an lvm containing a partition for / and one for swap. Everything looks okay, but I am getting an error that says cannot create lvm-vg. I'm not sure why this is happening, but I can't seem to get past it. Any and all help is appreciated.

#2 2011-10-21 05:33:37

/dev/zero

Re: Arch installer error: could not create lvm-vg

Hi HalfEmptyHero,

It sounds like you're trying to do what I'm trying to do. So far I've failed, but my failure is a bit further along than this, so perhaps I can help for your current step.

Rather than setting up all my partitions in the ncurses installer, I've adapted this method:

http://manual.aptosid.com/en/hd-install-crypt-en.htm

Do this before running /arch/setup, but stop after step 5. Instead of step 6 and onwards, proceed with running /arch/setup.

When you get back to manually configuring block devices etc, you'll find the partitions you already made from the command line. It remains to format and label them.

Something to look out for: I'm having trouble getting the initrd generated by mkinitcpio to mount the luks partition. It is possible that solutions to this problem already exist on the forums. If you run into problems, STFW :-)

Board footer