You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-22 12:07:18

Leviathan1

Error when booting with the new initscripts

The is an error when starting minilogd in rc.sysinit.

boot:Sat Oct 22 13:47:24 2011: /usr is not mounted. This is not supported.

I have /usr as a separate filesystem and I see that minilogd is installed in /usr/sbin, which should probably be changed to /sbin.

#2 2011-10-22 12:20:17

Mad Fish

Re: Error when booting with the new initscripts

You should seriously consider keeping /usr on root partition. Things will most likely break otherwise. Here is a good description of the problem:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwar … -is-broken

#3 2011-10-22 14:21:57

falconindy
Developer
Website

Leviathan1 wrote:

The is an error when starting minilogd in rc.sysinit.

boot:Sat Oct 22 13:47:24 2011: /usr is not mounted. This is not supported.

I have /usr as a separate filesystem and I see that minilogd is installed in /usr/sbin, which should probably be changed to /sbin.

That's hardly an error. That's a pointer for you, the user, to fix your broken setup.

We've made a conscious decision not to support /usr on a separate partition, mainly for the reasons stated above in the FDO link. More accurately though, we don't support /usr not being mounted when /etc/rc.sysinit is run. This means that if you're able to mount /usr from early userspace (the initramfs, prior to the switch_root into the real root device), we will support your setup. This also means you'll need to do some work on shutdown to pivot back to a ramfs and do the full umount prior to the final halt. There may be some preliminary support for this eventually in initscripts/mkinitcpio, but do not consider this a promise.

#4 2011-10-22 14:44:02

Leviathan1

Ok. You convinced me. I rearranged my partiations with the Gparted live cd.
/usr is now part of the root filesystem, and everything works.

Last edited by Leviathan1 (2011-10-22 14:46:18)

#5 2011-10-23 11:45:39

lynix

Okay, this drives me into serious trouble...

So did I get that right: if you're using LUKS for "/" then you're forced to encrypt /usr as well as it must be put on the same partition. In case you're using an SSD, you loose some notable amount of speed and TRIM for that area.

#6 2011-10-30 14:09:41

chakra-user

me too facing plethora of problems due to this update. Can someone guide a non-destructive way to merge /usr into / without loosing data along with simple tools which could do that.

Thanks.

#7 2011-10-31 00:56:17

esuhl

falconindy wrote:

...if you're able to mount /usr from early userspace (the initramfs, prior to the switch_root into the real root device), we will support your setup. This also means you'll need to do some work on shutdown to pivot back to a ramfs and do the full umount prior to the final halt.

Thanks for the info.  My root filesytem is on a drive that's too small to contain /usr too, so I think I'll have to give that a go...

Can anyone help with any tips as to how I might do that, or point me in the direction of any relevant wiki pages?

#8 2011-10-31 01:25:00

tomk
Forum Fellow

chakra-user wrote:

Can someone guide a non-destructive way to merge /usr into / without loosing data along with simple tools which could do that.

ehmm... you're not "merging", you're copying (y'know, cp?). Boot your system with your favourite rescue cd/usb, mount your partitions somewhere, cp everything from mounted /usr to mounted /(root)/usr, reboot.

#9 2011-10-31 07:46:21

chakra-user

Thanks @tomk, I have / partition of a lesser size than the /usr so simple copy may nt work. Also there is a problem of symlink etc so wanted some idea of expand root and move/cp /usr into it. If anyone has a good GUI tool that can expand the partitions and move data from another partition into it or something like that.

Alternatively I think I can do the following:
1. Try to compress the free space in /usr as much as I can using GParted(?)
2. expand the /(root) partition to take up the now free space. and Save the Partition Tables.
3. Now assuming I have enuf space in /(root) to copy all /usr content do as @tomk said.

Sounds good?

#10 2011-11-05 12:05:40

chakra-user

just bumping this thread to know if someone can help fix this issue??

#11 2011-11-05 15:03:07

tomk
Forum Fellow

You said you were going to fix this issue yourself in post #9. Did you try?

#12 2011-11-06 06:39:57

chakra-user

No. I was waiting for input/confirmation if my approach is right and suggestions for good GUI tools to do the paritions safely without loosing data. Currently I have gone back to udev 173 and corresponding mkcpio and my machine is very stable. Previously, it used to either panic or / partition used to get unmounted for some silly reason while running.

Last edited by chakra-user (2011-11-06 06:40:40)

#13 2011-11-17 17:53:00

slappinjohn

Hi,
what about puttin /usr on an own partition for security reasons (mounted read-only), like on my server. So I don't want to put /usr on the root-partition. Any solution for this setting?

greets Marc

#14 2011-11-17 20:42:47

falconindy
Developer
Website

Yes, you can learn what security means. You gain absolutely nothing by mounting /usr as RO if its owned by entirely by root (which it should be). An attacker gaining root permissions can very easily remount the partition RW.

If you have a legitimate use case (one for Linux does not exist), mkinitcpio will be able to mount /usr from early userspace next release (no, I don't know how soon that will be).

#15 2011-11-17 21:05:03

Ashren
Website

One legitimate use for a /usr partition would be to ensure that / never gets filled during an upgrade. Usually / is very consistent when it comes to size - it never really needs to get any bigger.

Personally I don't like having usr/ in / and I'm looking forward to the next release. I like the control and flexibility that separate logical volumes gives me.

Edit: Corrected semantic error.

Last edited by Ashren (2011-11-18 07:22:30)

#16 2011-11-18 18:54:28

slappinjohn

falconindy wrote:

Yes, you can learn what security means. You gain absolutely nothing by mounting /usr as RO if its owned by entirely by root (which it should be). An attacker gaining root permissions can very easily remount the partition RW.

If you have a legitimate use case (one for Linux does not exist), mkinitcpio will be able to mount /usr from early userspace next release (no, I don't know how soon that will be).

Mphh, not thought of this, damn.

#17 2011-11-19 17:23:29

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

And as a sidenote, since LUKS was mentioned as a reason for keeping /usr seperate: As of kernel 3.1, dm-crypt (optionally)support discard.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#18 2011-11-27 13:04:17

tstaps

1.) in fact, the mount of /usr is NOT in FHS (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/)

2.) in my intension, a safely boooting system is more, then the start of alsactl or other at the start of rc.sysinit

3.) workaround
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 413 Nov 27 13:31 /etc/rc.d/functions.d/ts

#!/bin/bash
function ts_mount_usr_ro() {
echo "run_hook sysinit_start ts_mount_usr_ro"
echo mount -t ext3 -o ro /dev/mapper/vg_archl-lv_usr /usr
mount -t ext3 -o ro /dev/mapper/vg_archl-lv_usr /usr
}
add_hook sysinit_start ts_mount_usr_ro

function ts_umount_usr() {
echo "run_hook sysinit_prefsck ts_umount_usr"
echo umount /usr
umount /usr
}
add_hook sysinit_prefsck ts_umount_usr

Hope, it helps!
ts

#19 2011-12-15 13:19:14

hybrid

What's the latest on pre-mounting /usr? Are there safe solutions for this now?
If not I would either have to re-partition my whole drive (cuz I only have two primary partitions, sda1 (my /, 1GB size/164MB used) and sda2 for swap and right after that the container for my logical partitions (var,tmp,usr,home) begins, so there's no way I can squeeze in /usr on my /), or I will have to migrate my / to my /usr partition sda8, which feels just wrong.
Personally I liked the idea of having a minimal boot system on the root partition and seperated from the rest, but I guess in times of initramfs, udev and all that other "new" stuff this is not an option anymore and I have to adjust my mindset to "throwing everything on the same pile". Alright, enough ranting: Are there safe solutions for pre-mounting and unmounting on shutdown by now or is there no news?
Oh and just out of curiosity: Could someone please explain, why there needs to be special handlig for unmounting /usr if preloaded (except for a fsck run, I do get that)?

ps: I did see tstaps workaround, but I find it unusual that no one commented on this (pretty much everything gets a comment in this forum) and I guess I don't really get, why this would help. What would call these functions? Or is it really just as simple that files under functions.d get parsed for add_hook and the functions are then added to the given hooks?

#20 2011-12-20 20:24:37

pdbq

I noticed that after an initial install, /usr had eventually grown to 6GB.
I like to keep *all* filesystems in logical volumes, especially when I cannot anticipate the eventual size needed.
So, at present I have a 64GB SSD, /dev/sda encrypted with luks, and PV /dev/sda  in VG (vg) and 6 LVs, root, opt, var, usr, home & swap.
/boot is on a USB.
I also get this asinine msg: /usr is not mounted. This is not supported.
If during boot I can enter my phase phrase, activate VG, mount root LV, why can't it finish the rest of the mounts before looking for apps and/or data files in  /usr ?

#21 2011-12-24 02:53:34

chakra-user

hmm does anyone have any info on whether seperate /usr mounting is now supported in latest kernel or any solution thereof? I am bound to old kernel and thus not even upgraded by Arch Linux in months now due to this issue.

#22 2011-12-28 00:07:42

arch_archer

chakra-user wrote:

hmm does anyone have any info on whether seperate /usr mounting is now supported in latest kernel or any solution thereof? I am bound to old kernel and thus not even upgraded by Arch Linux in months now due to this issue.

Unfortunately it is not fixed, I still have the problem with fully updated packages. I don't want to repartiotion because I don't have enough space for doing backups sad If separate /usr is not supported, why the installer didn't complain when I was installing Arch?

Last edited by arch_archer (2011-12-28 00:22:09)

#23 2011-12-28 00:27:28

Gusar

chakra-user wrote:

Separate /usr not being supported is not about the kernel, never was. It's about udev, or more specifically about udev rules requiring things from /usr. The solution, if you really want a separate /usr, is to mount it from the initramfs, but mkinitcpio doesn't have support for that yet, so for now you need to write the necessary code yourself.

#24 2011-12-28 12:28:15

chakra-user

Gusar wrote:
chakra-user wrote:

Separate /usr not being supported is not about the kernel, never was. It's about udev, or more specifically about udev rules requiring things from /usr. The solution, if you really want a separate /usr, is to mount it from the initramfs, but mkinitcpio doesn't have support for that yet, so for now you need to write the necessary code yourself.

But where to write the code and what should be written. Don't want to mess with the system so asking if anyone has a working "seperate /usr" system can share their "code"

#25 2012-01-02 09:47:10

chakra-user

Finally moved /usr into /(root). Alls well now and updated to the latest. Phew.

Board footer