You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-18 13:23:30

tarakbumba

Proposal: Translate extension for the wiki

Hi. I'm trying to translate some articles into Turkish. While looking to the net, i've found a wiki extension named Translate extension. Advantages of this extension as well as the contact information of authors can be found here:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Translate

Features include:

In-wiki localisation, proofreading and exporting of software interface messages (or just about anything)
    AJAX enabled web-based translation in supported browsers, as well as gettext based export and import for off-line translation.
    Structured content page translation using the same system as interface translation.
    Various aids to make the job of translators easier:

Display of translations in globally defined other languages, optionally expanded with user defined languages
        Collaborative editing of documentation of the use and context of messages
        Translation memory and machine translation with external tools (tmserver, Google Translate, Apertium)
        Display of the latest change in the source message
        Warnings about common mistakes like parameters that are not used.
    Pre-made modules for various open source products you can use as an example.
    A versatile plug-in system to make it easy to add new projects as a message group.
    Various statistics (requires PHPlot for graphics)
        Translation completion percentages for all message groups in all supported languages
        Daily updates of completion percentages in all supported languages for any supported message group (if configured).
        Tool for making activity graphs for spans of time. Can display either number of edits or active users daily or hourly and includes many filters.

A more detailed manual for the Translate extension is available at translatewiki.net.

This extension can significantly ease up maintenance of the translations with no additional efforts to sync translations with original (automatic synchronization). Also it give us a chance to have "separate wiki for each language" without loosing untranslated information, besides it may eliminate English_Title (Language) weirdness. I think, exporting wiki pages to gnu gettext catalogs format should boosts translations may be using transifex or pootle with wider contributions. I can't find information about this extension in the forums if it have been discussed before. Also i'm just a humble contributor so i don't know if it can be implemented. What do you think about this?

Say what you mean, mean what you say

#2 2011-10-22 19:00:20

tarakbumba

Re: Proposal: Translate extension for the wiki

No one  interseted in? No one to discuss this? sad

Last edited by tarakbumba (2011-10-22 19:01:13)

#3 2011-10-22 19:18:18

ethail

This sounds like the kind of subject that you should throw to the mailing list, not here.

My GitHub Page

Best Testing Repo Warning: [testing] means it can eat you hamster, catch fire and you should keep it away from children. And I'm serious here, it's not an April 1st joke.

#4 2011-10-26 12:43:39

tarakbumba

I send email to mailing list, no one interests. I even emailed one of wiki admins i get no reply. That's sad. sad

I want to improve wiki by translating important articles to native Turkish speakers who dont know English. Currently, wiki policies for non-english people are weird. People can't look into articles, because of enlish only name titles. Also, templates etc. are only English too. Also, i can't provide a local wiki as i don't know mediawiki installation and i can't provide a wiki server. I only believe we should discuss this extension, i think it should solve interlanguage wiki problems.

Last edited by tarakbumba (2011-10-26 12:44:15)

#5 2011-10-26 13:09:58

tomk
Forum Fellow

Submit a feature request in the bugtracker, under the Websites category.

#6 2011-10-26 19:59:43

tarakbumba

tomk wrote:

Submit a feature request in the bugtracker, under the Websites category.

O.K. FS#26638 is reported. Hope, i get some attention.

#7 2011-12-07 05:22:15

rainofchaos
Wiki Admin

Good idea. The KDE user base and tech base are using this extension.
And it improve translation efficiency and quality a lot.
Looking forward to use it in arch wiki.

Last edited by rainofchaos (2011-12-07 05:23:45)

Board footer