You are not logged in.

#1 2005-07-13 21:37:23

ovihc

non-SMP kernel needed

i've been trying to compile a kernel 2.6.x.x without success. The Arch stock kernel comes with SMP, but it's giving me trouble with my wireless NIC.

does anyone have a PKGBUILD or package with a 2.6.x.x kernel without SMP?

Thanks.

#2 2005-07-13 21:42:45

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: non-SMP kernel needed

#3 2005-07-13 22:41:27

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

ovihc wrote:

i've been trying to compile a kernel 2.6.x.x without success. The Arch stock kernel comes with SMP, but it's giving me trouble with my wireless NIC.

does anyone have a PKGBUILD or package with a 2.6.x.x kernel without SMP?

Thanks.

there's a way to force it off with a kernel param, IIRC

What wireless nic - and are you sure it has to do with SMP? ndiswrapper supposedly has SMP issues, but I've never experienced anything bad

#4 2005-07-14 05:36:48

ovihc

thanks guys for your help. i'll look at the cvs now. (i just woke up).

my NIC info is here:  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=13761

SMP is an issue because it is noted on the driver project forum website.

Bernardo, Sure your not running a SMP kernel ? Thats the problem 99.9% of the time. Just thought I would check

running an SMP kernel freezes the system with this driver. I ran Ubuntu and Gentoo to test them and they work perfectly. that's because their stock kernel didn't run SMP and I never had a freeze up.

btw, i'm not running ndiswrapper. there is a driver available for the kernel.

UPDATE

I went to the cvs and I found this. It's the same issue that I've had with other PKGBUILD's. for example, in the AUR, there is a patched kernel with swsusp2. I downloaded the PKGBUILD, the patches, and then i run makepkg -n. however, if i change the .config file by disabling SMP, the whole makepkg process is mixed up. i've tried different ways of inserting my .config into the makepkg process, but everytime it rejects my changes and defaults to the stock .config kernel file. so i always end up with a SMP=y option.

on the .config at the cvs:

CONFIG_BROKEN_ON_SMP=y

how can I change this during the make config process?

#5 2005-10-11 18:52:01

mr_ed

Replace the third md5sum in the list (in the PKGBUILD file) with the result from running "md5sum config"

Board footer