You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-21 19:48:05

jleroy

[SOLVED] font anti-aliasing not working as expected

(duplicate of unanswered question on superuser.com)

it seems that my linux has problems with anti-aliasing fonts. As you can see in the picture the labels of the menu items are slightly pixelated.

edit: image-tag removed because the forum rules don't allow me to put "big" pictures in here. resizing this image is absurd in my eyes, because then you won't see the aliased fonts. if you want to see the image, please look at the post on superuser.com.

On another system with exactly the same font settings the menu items look great. Any idea what's misconfigured?

Some details: The problem appeared some days ago when I removed Gnome 3 and installed KDE. Now, the only installed desktop environment is xfce.

Last edited by jleroy (2011-10-23 18:43:49)

#2 2011-10-21 23:00:04

Jodell

Re: [SOLVED] font anti-aliasing not working as expected

Remove your ~/.fonts.conf and try again.

#3 2011-10-21 23:04:56

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please use thumbs when posting to the boards: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … s_and_Code

The wiki has an excellent page on font configuration: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_Configuration

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2011-10-21 23:44:13

jleroy

Thanks Jodell! I tried many different settings and also removed, edited and created many configuration files and also looked at the Font_Configuration wiki page, but never came across ~/.fonts.conf. Don't ask me how this could happen. Now, everything's fine again. Many thanks!

@jasonwryan Could you please explain, why the image size is limited to 250x250px?

#5 2011-10-22 00:20:09

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Because not everyone has unlimited bandwidth and/or browses these boards on large screen devices. It is a courtesy to other users, if they choose to click through to the larger image they can.

Please resize it or it will be removed.

#6 2011-10-22 00:39:39

/dev/zero

jasonwryan wrote:

Because not everyone has unlimited bandwidth and/or browses these boards on large screen devices. It is a courtesy to other users, if they choose to click through to the larger image they can.

Please resize it or it will be removed.

It may be worth pointing out that the monthly screenshot threads always start with instructions on how to automate this.

#7 2011-10-23 20:04:45

jleroy

@jasonwryan I think you know I did not intend to violate the forum rules. I think nobody, who's asking serious questions in a forum wants this. But I often come across threads (not only in this forum) where users with more points/skills/rights/experience tell other people, that they forgot to greet, that they posted the question in the wrong category, that they are too stupid to use the search box or that they did not follow any other forum rule. This often ends up (as this thread does) in a discussion about dos and don'ts and not the original question.

I agree with you, rules have to be adhered. But many people use dozens of different forums. There is no chance to remember all of the different rules and nobody want's to read the rules every time he posts a new question. So, in my eyes, rules can only be expected to be adhered, if the forum software supports these rules. For example, if I am not allowed to insert images that are bigger than 250x250px, the forum software should deny this. Or if a solved thread should be marked as [SOLVED], the forum should provide a button that does this with a single click.

Please don't take this personally. I just wanted to tell you that, because in my "real life" I already met people, telling me, that they don't use forums anymore, because they fear that they go wrong. They fear that an admin sees their question and tells them what they did wrong. For my part I can tell you, I also try to avoid phpBB-like-forums as this one, just because I don't feel welcome. That's the reason why I posted this question on superuser before. I don't want to say that the people at the stackexchange sites are more friendly, but (in my eyes because of the good user interface) they can concentrate on the facts of the question and only seldom have to deal with rules or something like this.

If you have connections to the head of this forum (maybe you are part of it) or even other phpBB-like forums, you may want to hand my thougts on to them.

#8 2011-10-23 20:45:06

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

That is why I reminded you, quite politely, that we did have a rule about image sizes and included a link for you.

The Arch boards use vanilla FluxBB; any changes would have to be made upstream. One of the developers, however, does drop into the Forum & Wiki Discussion thread so you could raise the issue there or post a feature request upstream.

Board footer