You are not logged in.

#1 2003-11-25 19:55:38

nifan

kernel 2.6

well i've compiled kernel 2.6.0-test10 and my sound has user doesnt work, even when i've give them permissions at devfs.conf. and a more strange behaviour is my mouse, a common ps2, i start X with gdm, my mouse just frezees till i move it for a bit. any hint on how to get ride of this situation?

EDIT: fotgot to metion that my HD gets 10MB per second slower than with 2.4.x , same config with hdparm

______
"Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil." - Plato

#2 2003-11-26 02:36:18

RdsArts

Re: kernel 2.6

Like the ninja, I strike:

Make sure ALSA or OSS support is compiled in. ALSA also needs the OSS emulation is compiled in as well. If you want to compile them as modules, make sure to toss them in your rc.conf. Do you have /dev/mixer and it's ilk?

HDD slowdowns are usually caused by not compiling the right chipset support into your kernel. Make sure you have the right ones installed. If unsure, Google. If it's not a chipset problem, perhaps a burnt sacrifice to some small, local god is in order? I find hardware deities prefer PCI NetGear 10/100 ethernet cards. Cheap, and work wonders for aquiring divine favor. Of course, this is a HDD, so perhaps a IBM laptop harddrive. Remember, eBay is your friend.

The mouse problem is XFree. Well, actually, it could just be that GPM is long in the tooth and the 2.6 kernels change a few small things. If it's just a regular mouse, try removing the repeater from GPM and just using the mouse as-is in XFree. If your not using a repeater, then check that your telling XFree what protocol to use in your XF86Config. Auto will cause a pause like that, IIRC.

#3 2003-11-26 09:34:22

actually i dont think OSS emulation is needeed, if it is then why the hell do we need alsa?

the HD slowdown has been told to me thats because he new scheduler :X , and i do have compiled the right ide chipsets support tongue

and about gpm, thats the tool to have mouse under console? i dont use that.

this is weird  :?

#4 2003-11-26 13:03:03

nifan

that stupid guest who forgot to login is me tongue

______

#5 2003-11-26 15:13:34

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

You need OSS if you want all your non-alsa-ified apps to be able to use sound.  If you don't want that, then by all means don't compile in oss emulation.  Most people do though...

It looks like RdsArts read it wrong (as did I when I looked at it).  gdm and gpm are two totally different things.  The Auto mouse Protocol option should probably still fix it though.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2003-11-26 15:24:15

andy

With kernel 2.6 around the corner, I'm slowly digging up info on it ... anyways, with that caveat, AFAIK, you need OSS-emulation, but not OSS.
For now, I tend to peek on http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799

#7 2003-11-26 18:27:53

nifan

Xentac wrote:

gdm and gpm are two totally different things.  The Auto mouse Protocol option should probably still fix it though.

i do have Auto mouse protocol option.

im compiling now the kernel again with OSS API Emulation and another thing i noticed : i've put yes under the PCI PS2 mouse/keyboard, wich is for pci cards only i believe. lets see if everything works now tongue

thnkx all for your help

______

#8 2003-11-26 18:38:24

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

RdsArts wrote:

If your not using a repeater, then check that your telling XFree what protocol to use in your XF86Config. Auto will cause a pause like that, IIRC.

Yes, and as RdsArts was saying about the Auto option, turn it off.  Change it to PS/2, because you know what it is.  His point is that using the Auto Protocol will cause a pause, if he recalls correctly.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#9 2003-11-26 19:09:27

nifan

AH! i missunderstood  wink
english bis not my native language tongue
the stange thing is that under 2.4.x that doesnt happen, and the wheel  doesnt work either. lets wait till this compiles and pray  tongue

______

#10 2003-11-26 20:08:15

nifan

well it seems that everything is ok, but my wheel mouse is broken...
i've changed Auto to PS/2 and the freeze thing is gone, the problem is the wheel sad any hints on that one?

thnkx

EDIT: its working now, all i need to do is change from PS/2 to IMPS/2  :oops:

______

Board footer