You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-25 12:42:21

prthorsenjr

I've really screwed this up ... trying to install with fake raid

Howdy,

Last week after performing a pacman upgrade I had an issue where I decided to re-install my machine.  However, that's not why I am writing this post at this time.

In the process of trying to do a clean install I inadvertently mixed up Software Raid and Fake Raid stuff.  I want to use the Fake Raid instead of the Software Raid
with mdadm.  However, after I boot the installer and load the dmraid (per the instructions on the Wiki [Installing _with_Fake_RAID] I see the following:

[root@archiso ~]# modprobe dm-mod
[root@archiso ~]# dmraid -ay
[   344.968115] device-mapper:  table:  254:3:  mirror:  Device lookup failure
RAID set "isw_fcbggahhg_Volume0" was not activated
ERROR:  device "isw_fcbggahhg_Volume0" could not be found

However, here is what I see that I think is causing the problem:

[root@archiso ~]# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md126 : active raid1 sda[1] sdb[0]
           488383488 blocks super external:/md127/0 [2/2] [UU]
           [==>..................]  resync = 11.0% (53857728/488383620) finish=78.0min speed=92829K/sec

md127 : inactive sdb[1](S) sda[0](S)
           5928 blocks super external:imsm

unused devices:  <none>
[root@archiso ~]#

The RAID controller on the machine is an Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager option ROM v8.0.0.1038 ICH10R wRAID5.  I have the two Hitachi 500GB drives
configured in the RAID Volume as RAID1.

Again, I think that the first thing I need to do is to wipe out any instances or references on the disks regarding the mdadm stuff.  Can anyone help me
with this?  Secondly, after wiping out any of the mdadm stuff shouldn't the RAID set come up automatically in the installer after I load the dm-mod module
and the dmraid -ay command?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated,

Pete

prthorsenjr@outlook.com

“Intelligence without communications is irrelevant, communications without intelligence is noise.”
General Alfred M. Gray

#2 2011-10-25 19:11:09

prthorsenjr

Re: I've really screwed this up ... trying to install with fake raid

Well, I did make a little bit more progress.  I decided to try an install off the archlinux-2010-05 netinstall duo cd
that I had here and things seem to be working the way that they should.  Meaning after I boot the installer and do
a modprobe dm-mod and then a dmraid -ay it sees and activates the RAID set.  I then can do a vgscan and a
vgchange -ay and have it load the VolumeGroup and Logical Volumes that I have setup and proceed to the install.

Things go as they should until I get to the end part where I need to install GRUB.  I followed the instructions and
all seems to have gone the way that it should but the machine won't boot.  Any ideas?

Pete

prthorsenjr@outlook.com

“Intelligence without communications is irrelevant, communications without intelligence is noise.”
General Alfred M. Gray

#3 2011-10-25 19:25:39

lilsirecho
Veteran

What happens at boot?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2011-10-25 19:48:19

prthorsenjr

It starts to boot but as soon as it gets past trying to boot off of the CD-ROM it does nothing.

prthorsenjr@outlook.com

General Alfred M. Gray

#5 2011-10-25 19:59:14

lilsirecho
Veteran

What error messages are given?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2011-10-25 20:15:11

prthorsenjr

There are no error messages given.  I sure wish that there were.  Just a blinking cursor.

prthorsenjr@outlook.com

General Alfred M. Gray

Board footer