You are not logged in.

#276 2011-10-19 06:31:52

axel668

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

taliesin wrote:

I'm just wondering, could there be any benefits to consolidating the Mate, Xfce and LXDE projects into one desktop environment, whether it maintained a separate branch of GTK+ or not?

Linux is about choice, and the very existence of Mate and this thread proves, that 'one size fits all' is not true, especially on the desktop ...

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#277 2011-10-19 13:47:42

engelus

hello people i am following this project from the moment it was created because I am one of those who believe that gnome 2.32 was great and for that i have to migrate XFCE which is very stable and usable but has some things missing to be equal to gnome 2.32.

well I am having some trouble to launch mate-session via xintrc:

if i put exec ck-launch-session mate-session like the wiki states i recieve an error message from X saying that xinit isnt found, but it's installed, its running dbus. So if i remove ck-launch-session the mate desktop runs properly but have some problems with auto mount, shutting down, suspending, etc.

Any ideas?

Sorry for my bad English.

@Perberos: saludos desde Salta-Argentina!!!

Last edited by engelus (2011-10-19 13:49:33)

#278 2011-10-19 15:51:09

flaque

engelus wrote:

hello people i am following this project from the moment it was created because I am one of those who believe that gnome 2.32 was great and for that i have to migrate XFCE which is very stable and usable but has some things missing to be equal to gnome 2.32.

if i put exec ck-launch-session mate-session like the wiki states i recieve an error message from X saying that xinit isnt found, but it's installed, its running dbus. So if i remove ck-launch-session the mate desktop runs properly but have some problems with auto mount, shutting down, suspending, etc.

Any ideas?

Did you install consolekit?

Instalaste consolekit?

#279 2011-10-19 15:59:34

engelus

flaque wrote:
engelus wrote:

Any ideas?

Did you install consolekit?

Instalaste consolekit?

yep that was the problem. I forgot to say i am running in a Virtual Machine (clean install of ArchLinux)

thanks big_smile

#280 2011-10-21 20:43:50

Orloch

Hi,

i'm a italian guy living in Paraguay.

there's is an italian package?

if not, how can i write it?

sorry for my english

En castellano es mejor:

Soy un italiano que vive en Paraguay

Hay el paquete italiano de Mate?

Si no hay me gustaria ayudar con la traduccion

Last edited by Orloch (2011-10-21 20:45:30)

#281 2011-10-22 00:50:10

Perberos
Website

Italian is included.

#282 2011-10-22 04:19:10

chungy

Wow, I have been staking it out on Xfce for a while after GNOME 3 was released.  Xfce was alright, but I installed MATE last night, and I'm so happy! I have the best desktop back! Thank you so much big_smile

One issue I've found already, however, is that in Audacious, the GNOME Shortcuts plugin does not operate, the player does not seem to get any play/prevtrack/nexttrack/stop commands from my keyboard for the shortcuts I've set up for it (right Windows key and F9/F10/F11/F12, I don't have any fancy multimedia keys).  I've noticed that if I press those while in a terminal, it shows up as just ~s which is odd.  Because of the terminal behavior I'm inclined to believe this is an issue with MATE itself (though if the gnomeshortcuts plugin needs to be ported to MATE as well, I'm not too surprised).  For now it's not the biggest issue, since I can set up Audacious to use shortcuts on its own accord, but it would be nice to have it integrated with the DE.

#283 2011-10-23 06:07:12

Blender

Perberos, would it be possible to create a PKGBUILD that downloads and installs MATE entirely from Git? Or is your Git code different from the SourceForge code used in the PKGBUILDS?

#284 2011-10-23 12:54:15

myswiat
Website

When you can count on adding to the AUR: mate-system-tools mate-menu-editor mate-disk-utility?
smile

#285 2011-10-26 00:26:16

Perberos
Website

Imagination is the limit. I think it can be done, but it will require a lot time to deal with include path for pkgconfig, ld, etc.
the mate repository was initially on svn, so that is the reason of all in one. but it gives me great freedom of control, saving time synchronization.
maybe in the future, we should separate all the code. So then we can easily make git-based packages.

I am using rolling release method, the version of sf.net say when the code was taken from the git repo. I only update sf.net when happens: critical/performace/feature/unsure/trivial/request issue. But there is not much difference on both.

@mate-system-tools: system-tools-backends disappear from arch repo, so it wont build. At least you manually install system-tools-backends.
@mate-menu-editor, mate-disk-utility: on my way.

#286 2011-10-26 01:16:14

engelus

it's any plan to fork brasero? if it's i can suggest one name: parrilla

#287 2011-10-26 02:42:02

flaque

engelus wrote:

it's any plan to fork brasero? if it's i can suggest one name: parrilla

Muy bueno jaja tongue

Very nice lol tongue

#288 2011-10-26 09:13:58

myswiat
Website

And why each of the elements Mate will not be split in separate element git - so that you can only update individual elements Mate, not the whole dekstop??

#289 2011-10-26 12:41:15

engelus

I found brasero2 in AUR, changed the dependencies to mate-pl-parser (for totem-plparser) and mate-file-manager (for nautilus) and work it big_smile

#290 2011-10-26 17:34:58

Mr_ED-horsey

engelus wrote:

I found brasero2 in AUR, changed the dependencies to mate-pl-parser (for totem-plparser) and mate-file-manager (for nautilus) and work it big_smile

I had that idea a while back too. Did the exact same things but if I remember correctly I had a compatibility issue with libsoup-gnome. I had 2.36 installed and it required 2.32 and I didn't feel like downgrading the package because I tend to go back and forth with Gnome and that might cause problems, so I just installed Xfburn as a temporary solution until Brasero is forked for Mate... Which I'm assuming will happen eventually. If not, no big deal, Xfburn does what I need it do to anyway.

Last edited by Mr_ED-horsey (2011-10-26 17:36:16)

Desktop: Fedora 21 Mate + Compiz [x86_64] on 2 TiB HDD  /  Windows 7 Professional [x86_64] on 500 GiB HDD
Laptop: Arch Linux + Openbox [i686] 120 GiB SSD on Acer c720 Chromebook

#291 2011-10-27 11:35:37

engelus

Mr_ED-horsey wrote:
engelus wrote:

I had that idea a while back too. Did the exact same things but if I remember correctly I had a compatibility issue with libsoup-gnome. I had 2.36 installed and it required 2.32 and I didn't feel like downgrading the package because I tend to go back and forth with Gnome and that might cause problems, so I just installed Xfburn as a temporary solution until Brasero is forked for Mate... Which I'm assuming will happen eventually. If not, no big deal, Xfburn does what I need it do to anyway.

I burned a DVD to make sure it works, and didn't have any problems, and xfburn it's a perfect alternativy so less dependencies and does its job.

#292 2011-10-28 09:14:32

myswiat
Website

Error compilation >>  mate-file-manager

In file included from /usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/uniqueapp.h:26:0,
                 from /usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/unique.h:24,
                 from caja-application.h:32,
                 from caja-application.c:29:
/usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/uniquemessage.h:51:1: error: unknown type name ‘G_CONST_RETURN’
/usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/uniquemessage.h:51:23: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
/usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/uniquemessage.h:66:1: error: unknown type name ‘G_CONST_RETURN’
/usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/uniquemessage.h:66:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
In file included from /usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/unique.h:25:0,
                 from caja-application.h:32,
                 from caja-application.c:29:
/usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/uniquebackend.h:97:1: error: unknown type name ‘G_CONST_RETURN’
/usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/uniquebackend.h:97:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
/usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/uniquebackend.h:100:1: error: unknown type name ‘G_CONST_RETURN’
/usr/include/unique-1.0/unique/uniquebackend.h:100:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘*’ token
caja-application.c: In function ‘message_received_cb’:
caja-application.c:843:10: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘open_windows’ makes pointer from integer without a cast [enabled by default]
caja-application.c:792:1: note: expected ‘const char *’ but argument is of type ‘int’

Arch linux 64 bit,
libunique 1.1.6-4,
mate-file-manager 2011.10.13-1

#293 2011-10-28 18:22:48

toketin

Hi, i'm trying Mate and i've two answers, how can i enable the metacity-marco composite and how can i enable notify-osd notifications because i've seen that the package mate-notification-daemon is  a dependencie of mate so i can't remove it. Thanks and great work guys!

#294 2011-10-28 21:33:50

albLinux

Very nice man like it.
I am also one of those unlucky guys with G3 so I hope Mate will grow to an big strong boy wink

Thank you.

And my english is not very good.

#295 2011-10-28 21:46:29

Zom

toketin wrote:

Hi, i'm trying Mate and i've two answers, how can i enable the metacity-marco composite and how can i enable notify-osd notifications because i've seen that the package mate-notification-daemon is  a dependencie of mate so i can't remove it. Thanks and great work guys!

You could probably edit the PKGBUILD and add mate-notification-daemon to the provides section.

Though, I think it should really just depend on notification-daemon and not mate-notification-daemon, and then just add notification-daemon to the provides section of mate-notification-daemon. Seems like a cleaner solution.

#296 2011-10-29 08:43:02

toketin

And how can i active metacity's composite?

#297 2011-10-29 11:49:27

Kopfweh

Is there any possible solution for installing both mate-bluetooth and gnome-bluetooth at the same time, as they seem to conflict with each other? It seems to me, that they just use the same icons and such ridiculous stuff. wink

mate-bluetooth: /etc/xdg/autostart/bluetooth-applet.desktop exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/bin/bluetooth-applet exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/bin/bluetooth-sendto exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/bin/bluetooth-wizard exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/applications/bluetooth-properties.desktop exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/bluetooth.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/status/bluetooth-active.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/status/bluetooth-disabled.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/status/bluetooth-paired.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/bluetooth.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/status/bluetooth-active.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/status/bluetooth-disabled.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/status/bluetooth-paired.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/apps/bluetooth.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/status/bluetooth-active.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/status/bluetooth-disabled.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/24x24/status/bluetooth-paired.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/bluetooth.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/status/bluetooth-active.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/status/bluetooth-disabled.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/status/bluetooth-paired.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/bluetooth.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/status/bluetooth-active.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/status/bluetooth-disabled.png exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/bluetooth.svg exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/status/bluetooth-paired.svg exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/man/man1/bluetooth-applet.1.gz exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/man/man1/bluetooth-sendto.1.gz exists in filesystem
mate-bluetooth: /usr/share/man/man1/bluetooth-wizard.1.gz exists in filesystem

#298 2011-10-29 16:43:56

Perberos
Website

I am having problems with the file manager. It had random crash.
related link https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Deskto … /issues/23

I also update all base packages.

#299 2011-10-29 18:58:53

clpc
Website

I have just finished updating both the 32 and 64 bit Mate repos on germ.winpe.com.
18:54 GMT 29th October 2011

Any problems please let me know.

Clive

Clive,
"Today's great idea is tomorrow's mess to clean up."

#300 2011-10-29 19:02:54

Mr_ED-horsey

Perberos wrote:

I am having problems with the file manager. It had random crash.
related link https://github.com/Perberos/Mate-Deskto … /issues/23

I also update all base packages.

I'm having the same problem with Caja on 64 bit after today's update. It's constantly crashing. I'm using Thunar as a temporary replacement. It seems fine.

Last edited by Mr_ED-horsey (2011-10-29 19:03:36)

Desktop: Fedora 21 Mate + Compiz [x86_64] on 2 TiB HDD  /  Windows 7 Professional [x86_64] on 500 GiB HDD
Laptop: Arch Linux + Openbox [i686] 120 GiB SSD on Acer c720 Chromebook

Board footer