You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-27 23:09:08

Modeler

[Solved] Need to restart networkmanager daemon after hardware switch.

Hi,

Bit of a weird one this. I have an HP netbook with the following WIFI card:

02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

Works fine with networkmanager, connects automatically and whatnot. When I hit the hardware switch to turn it off, it says "wireless is disabled by hardware switch" as expected, I turn it back on again and it's stuck at "device not ready".

rfkill says it's all okay:

$ rfkill list
0: hp-wifi: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
1: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

To get it working again, I have to do "sudo rc.d restart networkmanager". Just seems odd as wicd re-enables wireless fine in the same scenario. Any help would be appreciated.

Networkmanager confuses me. Archwiki lists a lot of steps required to connect at boot, unlock the keyring and such, but on both my Arch box and Fedora box it seems to remember its last wireless network and connects by itself, even before I start X.

Last edited by Modeler (2011-11-01 09:58:55)

Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster"

#2 2011-10-27 23:28:51

/dev/zero

Re: [Solved] Need to restart networkmanager daemon after hardware switch.

I feel a bit confused about why you would keep using NetworkManager if you have wicd installed. The last time I tried nm, it kept giving me trouble; googling for a fix revealed the clear superiority of wicd. But I guess you can do whatever you feel like on your own machine :-)

Does network manager dump any logs anywhere? I guess I would start with them. If not, see if you can start nm manually in a terminal with verbose flags enabled, then try to replicate the problem, and see what text it barfs up.

#3 2011-10-28 16:59:00

Modeler

I'm not sure if I like wicd; the GTK front-end looks a bit clunky and doesn't integrate as well as Networkmanager in my opinion. It's strange, tried using the hardware switch on two other Arch laptops and they're both fine. I might go for a reinstall for the sanity but will try your suggestion, thanks.

Wirth's law: "Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster"

#4 2011-11-01 10:04:38

Modeler

I reinstalled Arch on my Netbook, moved from 64-bit back to 32-bit using the latest core release using the brcmsmac driver for wireless. Had to blacklist the bcma module before wlan0 would show up (thanks again ArchWiki!) – don't remember having to do that before hmm

Anyway, I have NetworkManager set up as before but this time the hardware switch works fine. I'm putting it down to having wicd installed prior to NetworkManager; maybe it left something behind.

Board footer