You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-02 02:15:37

nek.thu

[SOLVED] flashplugin constantly crashing + Chrome random crashes

So flash is crashing with almost every video I use in every browser I use (chrome is my main; tried chromium and firefox). Sometimes it lets me watch a minute or a few; other times it crashes as soon as the page finishes loading. I've tried these so far, none were successful:

- enable/disable hardware video decoding
    when enabled the video has lots of weird artifacts and such and feels a lot less stable
    but it crashes either way
- used chrome's built-in up-to-date flashplugin
- downgraded flashplugin to 10.3 and then 10.2 and forced chrome to use this one instead of its own

In chrome, usually only the plugin crashes and the rest of the browser/tab works (like it's supposed to), sometimes though it brings down the whole tab, never the whole browser. In firefox the entire browser just crashes.

In addition to all of this; chrome will also crash randomly, independent of a page's flash content. Not a fatal crash, but where the tab crashes and I have to close/reload it.

This is on a macbook pro; using the nvidia proprietary driver. I previously tried using the nouveau driver; the exact same thing happened; and yes I attempted all the above fixes on nouveau as well and had the exact same results.

Edit: grammar...

Last edited by nek.thu (2011-11-03 05:28:24)

#2 2011-11-02 03:27:55

David Batson

Re: [SOLVED] flashplugin constantly crashing + Chrome random crashes

Working fine here in 64-bit Opera 11.52 with: extra/flashplugin 11.0.1.152-1  Adobe Flash Player.

#3 2011-11-02 09:28:15

Doomcide

Had a similar problem, using the flashplugin-beta package from the AUR fixed it for me.

#4 2011-11-03 05:27:43

nek.thu

So on a whim I decided to install xfce (I was using xmonad) and lo and behold all the crashing problems went away - including chrome's random crashes. So it's actually an issue with tiling wm's I guess.

#5 2011-11-03 10:58:21

David Batson

nek.thu wrote:

So on a whim I decided to install xfce (I was using xmonad) and lo and behold all the crashing problems went away - including chrome's random crashes. So it's actually an issue with tiling wm's I guess.

As I wrote above, flash is working fine here....and I am using Xfce.

Board footer