You are not logged in.

#26 2005-07-13 07:30:49

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: How cool is this?!

Dusty wrote:

I found some on dibble's page.

Now then, my VC 2-6 have gensplash images now, but the text (login prompt and issue) are not displayed. Seems like /etc/rc.d/gensplash is overwriting the login terminals.

Fix that and you have solved the last persistant gensplash bug - I have tried to figure out what does that to no avail - i simply don't understand the problem although I can see the result!  Setting the CONSOLEFONT is also a work around but I don't undertstand why that works.

Dusty wrote:

Second, I'm having trouble with silent mode (is it true I have to patch the initscripts?) But I don't really want silent mode anyway, I don't think. I like to see stuff scrolling by.  I also like to know stuff is working though soooo.... when I boot into silent mode it prints an error about software suspend and having to add a resume2= line. WTF is that about?

OK - the initscripts you need are also in [community] if you want to use them, you don't have to - if you don't want to use verbose on your command line and drop the quiet command.

The soft susp error is because it doesn't know where you want to store the image - you need to point it to your swap space with resume2=swap:/dev/hdxy

You can also suspend to file but i don't recommend that.

I'm surprised at you Dusty - all the gensplash info is on the wiki and in a huge thread on the forum and the resume2 question is answered on the forums too wink

#27 2005-07-13 07:42:55

iphitus
Forum Fellow

dibblethewrecker wrote:

-ck doesn't have fbsplash -cko does.  it's the reason for -cko's existence - it's the ck performance patches with a load of extra patches for whizzy stuff

I know,

but it's not hard to take the fbsplash patches and combine them with -ck. smile Nothing in ck should affect the standard fbsplash patches. Then you'd get the raw interactivity stuff with CK, and your fbsplash, without some of the slightly more experimental addons from -ac and other places. You dont have to wait for CKO to be synced up to ck when there's CK updates either.

just a suggestion smile

iphitus

#28 2005-07-13 14:41:50

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

dibblethewrecker wrote:

I'm surprised at you Dusty - all the gensplash info is on the wiki and in a huge thread on the forum and the resume2 question is answered on the forums too wink

Yeah, thanks for all the answers. Truth is, last night my eyes were hurting so bad I found I'd rather be typing than reading. :oops:

Dusty

#29 2005-07-14 23:35:39

dp
Website

nothing beats kernel26mm (except you have a nvidia chipset and need the binary drivers)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#30 2005-07-15 06:43:40

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

nice to see you dp smile

#31 2005-07-15 06:52:54

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Hey - about bootsplash - is there anyway to have the silent bars just kinda scroll along w/o recording the progress really - I'd like to *not* patch my initscripts, but a nice bootsplash would be sweet... I'm thinking along the lines of, say, a windows XP boot...
perhaps an rc.d script which loops and increments the progress  or something? or, even better... something like /etc/rc.d/progress 5 start so that:
DAEMONS=('progress 1' hal 'progress 3' dbus 'progress 9' alsa 'progress 5') works?

I'm really just speculating here... making crap up because I'm tired

#32 2005-07-15 08:59:03

iphitus
Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:

Hey - about bootsplash - is there anyway to have the silent bars just kinda scroll along w/o recording the progress really - I'd like to *not* patch my initscripts, but a nice bootsplash would be sweet... I'm thinking along the lines of, say, a windows XP boot...
perhaps an rc.d script which loops and increments the progress  or something? or, even better... something like /etc/rc.d/progress 5 start so that:
DAEMONS=('progress 1' hal 'progress 3' dbus 'progress 9' alsa 'progress 5') works?

I'm really just speculating here... making crap up because I'm tired

well, if you want to use bootsplash instead of fbsplash, it only needs to make absolutely minor changes to your initscripts.
About 10 lines at the start of /etc/rc.multi, 10 lines at the start of your /etc/rc.sysinit, and a handfull of extra lines in /etc/rc.d/functions.

If you want me too, I can build an initscripts-bootsplash package. Or I could just upload the small sections that you need to copy paste in. Patches for bootsplash are available at bootsplash.de, and unlike fbsplash, bootsplash takes effect immediately on boot -- no delay.

and it's a helluva lot more simpler than gensplash.

iphitus

#33 2005-07-15 14:41:45

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

phrakture wrote:

I'd like to *not* patch my initscripts, but a nice bootsplash would be sweet...

Is it that you don't want to patch your initscripts because its a PITA to do, or because you think something will be bjorked when it comes to maintenance?

dibble has patched initscripts in [community]. Pacman -S initscripts-gensplash and you're done.

Dusty

#34 2005-07-15 15:24:55

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

iphitus wrote:

well, if you want to use bootsplash instead of fbsplash, it only needs to make absolutely minor changes to your initscripts.
About 10 lines at the start of /etc/rc.multi, 10 lines at the start of your /etc/rc.sysinit, and a handfull of extra lines in /etc/rc.d/functions.

I meant bootsplash in a generic sense... to cover bootsplash + fbsplash + genspalsh + wtfsplash...

Dusty wrote:

Is it that you don't want to patch your initscripts because its a PITA to do, or because you think something will be bjorked when it comes to maintenance?

Eh, a bit of both... hard to explain, but it just doesn't feel right... I'd rather not have an issue booting because some silly framebuffer thing got borked

#35 2005-07-15 15:56:44

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

phrakture wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Eh, a bit of both... hard to explain, but it just doesn't feel right... I'd rather not have an issue booting because some silly framebuffer thing got borked

You don't trust dibble to build working packages!!!!!!  :shock:

#36 2005-07-15 16:06:30

iphitus
Forum Fellow

i've got dibbles initscripts installed now, and my kernel isnt even fbsplash enabled.

so they work fine tongue

#37 2005-07-17 08:10:17

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

LOL!

Iph - gensplash is much better these days - silent screen is instant - gives you an initializing kernel message till the progress bar starts up.  The patches to the initscripts are also very small these days there have been a lot of changes - tho they don't show in the AUR properly.

With regrad to Phraks actual request - you could do that i think but better to ask the gensplash developer to set it up in the actual software - i bet he could and would understand the desire smile

#38 2005-07-17 15:16:15

sweiss

I'll check that kernel out dibble, thank you. 2.6.12 stock gives me quite some issues.

Board footer