Arch Overlord
Website

ion3 users trying wmii [split]

iphitus wrote:

I remove the word warped.

By warped I meant new, different to me.

either way, im back in ion3 now tongue

iphitus

man... I went to build ion3 to try it - and was immediatly turned off... I know it sound juvenille but, wmii compiles in like 2-4 seconds whereas ion3 took something like 30-45 and the configure/Makefile installation stuff was crap... (xerxes2 still has issues getting the Makefile to install things properly... I looked at it an gave up).

So, I didn't even try it... I mean, if I struggled with the thing pre-install I can't imagine the troubles I'd have post-install.

#2 2005-07-15 16:43:41

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Re: ion3 users trying wmii [split]

phrakture wrote:
iphitus wrote:

I remove the word warped.

By warped I meant new, different to me.

either way, im back in ion3 now tongue

iphitus

man... I went to build ion3 to try it - and was immediatly turned off... I know it sound juvenille but, wmii compiles in like 2-4 seconds whereas ion3 took something like 30-45 and the configure/Makefile installation stuff was crap... (xerxes2 still has issues getting the Makefile to install things properly... I looked at it an gave up).

So, I didn't even try it... I mean, if I struggled with the thing pre-install I can't imagine the troubles I'd have post-install.

aye, the install scripts dont acknowledge destdir. I'll bitch to tuomov about that sometime soon.

I'm lazy, I dont pkgbuild a lot of things I install. I just have another prefix, /src/ which is stuff I compile from source, so I never knew about the issues with ion's installation.

iphitus

#3 2005-07-15 16:47:13

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

iphitus wrote:

I'm lazy, I dont pkgbuild a lot of things I install. I just have another prefix, /src/ which is stuff I compile from source, so I never knew about the issues with ion's installation.

that's exactly why I PKGBUILD just about everything I install (though I have some strays) - it's a one-time effort... all upgrades are a number change, and a makepkg+pacman call... also, removal is much easier... we must have different ideas about laziness 8)

Let's have a competition! Start being lazy...... NOW!

#4 2005-07-15 16:47:47

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Let's not forget lua. That's a nice excuse not to use ion... :-D

Dusty

#5 2005-07-15 17:15:38

xerxes2
Website

nothing wrong with lua, it's great for copy and past programming, smile
lets face it, wmii is a toy compared to ion,

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#6 2005-07-15 17:36:32

iphitus
Forum Fellow

xerxes2 wrote:

nothing wrong with lua, it's great for copy and past programming, smile
lets face it, wmii is a toy compared to ion,

All it felt like to me tongue

Reminded me of a jigsaw puzzle.

#7 2005-07-15 17:42:57

xerxes2
Website

i'm an ion3 user but i haven't tried wmii yet, tongue

#8 2005-07-15 17:43:25

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I can't argue, since I never got ion3 to compile. Maybe I would like it, who knows. Maybe I'll try xerces2's new packages sometime this weekend.

Dusty

#9 2005-07-15 17:53:10

xerxes2
Website

i installed phraktures wmii package now,
i will see what it's all about,

edit: hmm, i'm posting this from wmii and it doesn't look that bad,

#10 2005-07-15 18:43:12

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

xerxes2 wrote:

i installed phraktures wmii package now,
i will see what it's all about,

edit: hmm, i'm posting this from wmii and it doesn't look that bad,

Is it faster than ion3 ?

Mr Green

#11 2005-07-15 18:56:14

xerxes2
Website

nothing is faster than ion if you're only using tiled frames,

#12 2005-07-15 19:04:58

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

pwm ;-)

Mr Green

#13 2005-07-15 19:18:34

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

xerxes2 wrote:

I'll bet wmii is faster... only because ion is going to have to through some lua calls in the mix there... where wmii just uses raw XLib (ion probably does too, but that's not the point, the addition of the language interpreter is going to add a small amount of overhead) - even better, wmii has the potential to use a cairo backend (unstable, but it's there) - in which case drawing primitives are even faster and the window artifacts support alpha blending (w/o the need for composite)

#14 2005-07-16 01:57:01

iphitus
Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:
xerxes2 wrote:

I'll bet wmii is faster... only because ion is going to have to through some lua calls in the mix there... where wmii just uses raw XLib (ion probably does too, but that's not the point, the addition of the language interpreter is going to add a small amount of overhead) - even better, wmii has the potential to use a cairo backend (unstable, but it's there) - in which case drawing primitives are even faster and the window artifacts support alpha blending (w/o the need for composite)

but theres no noticable difference. We can let the gentoo kiddies argue about that 0.001 of a second delay.

ion3 uses raw Xlib too you know, it's written in C. The lua is just for configuration and scripting.

#15 2005-07-16 02:46:55

SleepyDog

What's all this about pre-install troubles? It's a vanilla unix install; ./configure, make, install. The only difference is that you run autoreconf first. I made myself a pkgbuild of it and it's been fine, all this talk is really baffling me sad

Anyway, I tried out wmii, and after the initial buzz...I went straight back to ion3 tongue . I found the wmii keybindings, though similar to wmi-10, over-complicated. IMO, ratpoison has the best keybindings of all the window managers in this niche, followed by ion3. Certainly I could have gotten used to it, or changed them, but I saw no point, since I couldn't do something so simple as tab a window without stumbling through a maze of random keybinds. The multi layout seems to have disappeared in wmii-2-rc1. Though I *was* able to tab a fullscreen window once, I never could duplicate it.

Certainly, the tiled layout was pretty nice (though larsWM has been doing the same thing for years tongue ), but I prefer the more familiar frame based, arbitrary layouts of ion. Add to that floating splits (lets groups of frames overlap one another), which I only discovered after my venture with wmii, and I'm very content with ion3.

As for performance... I could care less. Either of the two wms are faster than the most minimal of conventional window managers, and my system is meaty enough. Rarely, in any case, would you actually come to a point where you're spitting out windows faster than a window manager can handle them.

Beyond copy & pasting and changing some variables, I've hardly had to look at lua code at all, and I've got ion configured so it does everything I loved about wmi-10, and better, too.

Though wmii is some impressive technology (namely the virtual filesystem & bash replacement) and it's definitely going places, I'm going to have to agree with the toy analogy for now.

#16 2005-07-16 05:50:21

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Sleepydog: Your must have made your pkgbuild as root and had it install to your system without you realising, because when it's run as a user, it craps out, it's trying to make files in /usr. not $startdir/pkg/usr.

anyway, there's a fixed pkgbuild in the other thread, feel free to take it to AUR anyone who wants it.

#17 2005-07-16 12:44:52

SleepyDog

Ay! You're right! I gotta start using fakeroot more!

Board footer