You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-07 09:00:52

blum
Website

Kmail / Akonadi Problem, not sending mails

Hello,
Today I found my KMail unable to send e-mail, while receiving is fine.
On clicking "Send", it just hangs, the e-mail is not going in "Outbox", nothing happens at all, and after a while alert box appears:

There were problems trying to queue the message for sending: Append failed

In the Akonadi log:

Error during executing query "INSERT INTO PimItemTable (rev, remoteRevision, collectionId, mimeTypeId, atime, dirty, size) VALUES (:0, :1, :2, :3, :4, :5, :6)" :  "Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction QMYSQL3: Unable to execute statement"
Error during insertion into table "PimItemTable" "Lock wait timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction QMYSQL3: Unable to execute statement"

mm.. help?

#2 2011-11-07 09:40:39

student975

Re: Kmail / Akonadi Problem, not sending mails

There was similar thread recently. IIRC, the cure is to start akonadiconsole and to start (in the console) Mail Dispatcher Agent. I have had the problem also at some point, and this single shot action has helped me. Of course, I'm not sure you have the same problem as mine was.

"I exist" is the best myth I know..

#3 2011-11-07 15:23:35

blum
Website

Maybe it is not the same issue.. I tried to restart the Mail Dispatcher Agent, nothing changed. After that I tried to re-synchronize the whole email folder where my all e-mails are, but it got even worse. Now I have only the folder structure, no e-mails inside the folders. hmm
Wow, I thought the new kmail was just slow, bloated and buggy, it turned out it is true fiasco.. sad.

#4 2011-11-08 08:57:58

blum
Website

I solved the problem by removing my Kmail Maildir in akonadiconsole and adding it again as Maildir (not Kmail Maildir). I don't know really what is the difference, but it works even better (and faster) now.

// Tired of people that love to make working things complex and after all not working. Missing the KISS.

#5 2011-11-08 09:29:25

jappel

blum, can you go into detail what todo as in how-to? I have the same problem.

#6 2011-11-08 09:33:08

jappel

I d be especially interested in where you lost all emails and how to get them back. ty.

#7 2011-11-08 10:59:50

blum
Website

When I removed the Kmail folders agent from the akonadiconsole, it actually didn't remove the e-mails from the filesystem. It only removed the "agent" or how-was-it-called thing from akonadi. It is hard to say that I understand the purpose of all these services (semantic desktop crab?), but when I decided that I'll keep my desktop up to date, I got into many problems. So the lesson is: if you want a stable system, you have to learn to wait.

So first I removed my basic Kmail maildir from the akonadiconsole agents. It disappear from the kmail as well. Bringing it back again as a "Kmail Maildir" gives me only the folder structure, but not the content. For me the path was "/home/blum/.kde4/share/apps/kmail/mail".
After that I added the same path to the akonadiconsole agents, but as "Maildir". It automatically called itself "mail" and appeared in Kmail, all the mails are in there.
So if you have the maildir folder structure and all the mails in there, you should be able to get it back in the kmail.

Good luck.

#8 2011-11-08 12:09:21

Lothium

Mmmh.... I have the same problem. I think I wait a few days before I do the things you suggested. Maybe this bug gets fixed.

#9 2011-11-08 12:16:35

blum
Website

Forgot to mention: Always back-up first.

tar czf mail-backup.tar.gz ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail

#10 2011-11-08 18:05:14

jappel

Thank you so much blum. I added the directory as maildir, the mail is back - and opening a folder with many mails is now _fast_, i d recommend doing this to everyone missing speed in kmail : )

#11 2011-11-16 10:27:35

RodS

student975, this was good advice - thank you. One detail - in akonadiconsole I found that 'toggle' Mail Despatcher Agent was need, rather than 'restart'.

Board footer