You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-07 16:12:22

gadget3000

Random Freezes

Recently my laptop has started freezing with no warning. The mouse won't move, the last half a second of audio keeps looping and the fan keeps speeding up to full power so I presume the CPU is doing a lot of work. I end up having to hard reboot. This happen at least daily.

Where do I start with diagnosing this?

Thanks for any help that you can give.

#2 2011-11-07 17:10:56

gadget3000

Re: Random Freezes

I have run memtest and nothing has come up.

#3 2011-11-08 14:54:42

stqn
Website

You could check your log files, try to run the fewest possible number of programs at the same time to see if it's caused by a particular program, check your laptop's temperatures, check your hard drive's SMART data, see if it happens when you boot from a live CD/USB, unplug everything you can, try other RAM modules (even though memtest passed... who knows.)

It might also be caused by the graphics chip so you could try not to use it and disable compositing.

#4 2011-11-08 15:58:00

gadget3000

I've checked /var/log/everything.log and I had an old script running on crond that seemed to freak out before any freeze so I've removed that with crontab.
The freezes have happened before with just chrome running but I have had problems with flash recently so it could be either of those.
Temperatures are fine but I'll try and check nearer when a freeze occurs. smartmontools says SMART data seems fine, even after some tests.

Hopefully the cron thing has solved my problem but I'll report back if not.

Thanks for your help, stqn.

#5 2011-11-08 16:27:36

pigiron

I've had something like this happen. The problem was that some program went into a very tight loop, slamming the CPU to 100% and not allowing many CPU cycles to the other programs. While the desktop appeared to be frozen, it was actually extremely slow... I'm talking many, many seconds to acknowledge a single keystroke.

One way to check if this is what's happening to you would be to fire up a terminal and continuously run the top command after verifying that it's sorting on the "%CPU" field. Now, make sure that the upper lines are never hidden behind another window so that when the problem reoccurs you can stop and simply monitor the CPU statistics in top. When the "freeze" occurs, don't move the mouse or hit any keys... just wait. If the stars are aligned, those statistics will (very) slowly update and show you the offending program. What you would now do with that information is another story.

#6 2011-11-08 16:52:03

egan

Board footer