You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-09 17:37:29

XwarlokX

Various Issues - Toshiba Satellite 4600 Pro

I've recently resurrected this old machine and installed Arch on it without issue. However, now that the system is up and running, I'm having issues with power consumption, and the CPU refuses to "idle". I've also noted while running powertop that I'm getting around 70 "wake ups" from idle per second,  to go along with my no idle issue. PowerTop is also giving a few messages at the bottom of the screen about an HPET timer, and Config_INOTIFY as well. I've read that the HPET timer is a patch for the kernel, since I'm sure the bios on this old machine doesn't support that.

How would I go about enabling CONFIG_INOTIFY and applying the patch for the HPET timer? I've dabbled a bit with compiling my own kernels, but I've never actually had to apply a kernel patch so I'm a bit intimidated about that.

Multimedia is another problem, as simply playing an mp3 via XMMS produces high CPU use, on the average of 30-40% typically. Opening or playing a video on the hard drive also produces high cpu use when the video is being played back.

I've got other issues as well, but I figure that these three are the most prominent and I'd like to tackle them and get them out of the way first. I'll post any information required, just ask.

Last edited by XwarlokX (2011-11-09 17:38:20)

Board footer