You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-04 20:22:41

mohjkrtoi

Vim as C++ IDE, post your config

Hello community, havent posted in a long time.
So the title says it all. I want to setup arch on my usb key, and use it everywhere I need it, so I need a ligthweight IDE, as I am a C++ programmer. So far I've used vim for editing scripts and I started to love it, but I want to see if it can be configured to use features like projects, code completion etc... I googled before posting so I found that there are plugins that accomplish that so I'm going to try and set it up now. In the meantime I want to see if anybody uses Vim as C++ IDE and it would help a lot if you post your vim config files or give me some notes on setting up plugins.
On a sidenote i use dwm with black bg/blueish fg, so I would love if someone posted vim colortheme in the same manner smile.

Last edited by mohjkrtoi (2011-11-04 20:24:48)

#2 2011-11-04 22:49:46

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Re: Vim as C++ IDE, post your config

There are several scripts on the vim scripts page. Did you search for "ide", or "project" there?

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#3 2011-11-10 20:08:37

n0stradamus
Website

bernarcher wrote:

There are several scripts on the vim scripts page. Did you search for "ide", or "project" there?

Right you are, a google search does help smile
But anyways, here's what I can say about using vim as a code editor:
I can't help you out with a fully fledged vim config, because I gave up trying to use vim as an IDE for C++ some time ago smile
The first reason was that the code completion didn't satisfy me. I tried out two options:

You've surely found out about omnicppcomplete by now, as it is mentioned quite often and can be found in the repos.
It doesn't pick up completion for external libraries or my selfwritten classes - it depends on a ctags database, that you always have to update if the code you want to have considered for completion proposals changes.
I didn't like that so i lurked around and found clang complete, which is a vim script that uses clang for completion. Quite comfortable actually, if I had to use vim for coding, I'd prefer it over omnicppcomplete.

The main reason that I don't use vim as an IDE is that I like to have the compile-debugging-process in one window. Of course there are wrappers for gdb but they have to be painfully configured. I found QtCreator to be the perfect IDE for me and I don't want to miss it now. If you've found yourself a collection of vim plugins/scripts that give you editing comfort complete with code completion and debugging helpers, I'd be glad to hear!

mohjkrtoi wrote:

Hello community, havent posted in a long time.
On a sidenote i use dwm with black bg/blueish fg, so I would love if someone posted vim colortheme in the same manner smile.

Take a look at solarized, I have been using this palette for a while now in the terminal and in my code editors. The contrast is just what I was looking for. Enjoy!

Last edited by n0stradamus (2011-11-10 20:09:06)

#4 2011-11-12 18:02:40

spo11
Website

Have you checked out Eclim? It's a set of plugins that turn vim into an IDE for C++/C/Java/among others.

EDIT: Bah, never mind. I evidently cannot read. This isn't exactly a portable solution.

Last edited by spo11 (2011-11-12 18:26:46)

#5 2011-11-17 19:34:15

irrlicht

You can try my sample config from https://github.com/xf0e/vim

Just copy .vim to your .vim and .vimrc to ~/home/.vimrc and you're ready to go.

Everything less than immortality is a complete waste of time!

#6 2012-10-18 21:54:33

dreadz

irrlicht wrote:

You can try my sample config from https://github.com/xf0e/vim

Just copy .vim to your .vim and .vimrc to ~/home/.vimrc and you're ready to go.

big_smile Awesome thanks dude! big_smile

#7 2012-10-26 05:59:45

Daedalus1

n0stradamus wrote:

The main reason that I don't use vim as an IDE is that I like to have the compile-debugging-process in one window. Of course there are wrappers for gdb but they have to be painfully configured. I found QtCreator to be the perfect IDE for me and I don't want to miss it now. If you've found yourself a collection of vim plugins/scripts that give you editing comfort complete with code completion and debugging helpers, I'd be glad to hear!

This. QtCreator also comes with vim mode, gdb & valgrind interfaces, git integration, working autocomplete, and Qt isn't so bad for getting things done (their docs and library are full featured). Of course, you don't have to use Qt to use QtCreator, you can start a plain cmake project with no Qt dependencies. I think it's one of the best IDE's out there.

Edit: D'oh! I didn't realize this thread was from last year, sorry.

Last edited by Daedalus1 (2012-10-26 06:02:50)

Board footer