You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-10 14:59:05

richardm198030

Arch Grub Vs Gentoo Grub // A little morefamiliar with Gentoo's Grub.

Hello, I realize Grub for Gentoo and Arch is the same, but I was wondering about Arch's Grub Install script in /boot/grub/menu.lst..  IT uses /dev/disk/by-uuid; Can I still change this and add the:

kernel /boot/arch_file;  // Note: I can't think of Arch's Kernel line, as I'm in Gentoo and can't view the file right now..
initrd   //  I also know I"d need the initrd line as well.

I'm familiar with Gentoo, so installing Grub on Gentoo was a sinch.  I was going to reload my Gentoo and chroot and reinstall my grub using that, since I have a fancy Grub Image, which I like, I tried to use one in Arch, but it didn't work...

Can't I just add the bzimage of arch and the kernel line to Gentoo's /boot/grub/grub.conf file?  which by the way, /boot/grub/grub.conf is the file you edit in Gentoo..  OR, will Arch not even run without that /dev/disk/by-uuid line?

I did read Wiki on Arch about Grub, but it didn't say anything about using a grub installed from another OS.

#2 2011-11-10 22:45:30

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Arch Grub Vs Gentoo Grub // A little morefamiliar with Gentoo's Grub.

title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/blablabla ro
initrd /initramfs-linux.img

With a separate /boot, that is.

Last edited by .:B:. (2011-11-10 22:45:59)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2011-11-11 18:40:55

richardm198030

Re: Arch Grub Vs Gentoo Grub // A little morefamiliar with Gentoo's Grub.

.:B:. wrote:
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/blablabla ro
initrd /initramfs-linux.img

With a separate /boot, that is.

Hah, sorry, didn't realize somebody responded, I have Stay subscribed to this topic enabled, but got nothing, sad.  And by the way, Arch is on /dev/sdb   arch setup -> /dev/sdb1(boot), /dev/sdb2(swap), /dev/sdb3(root), /dev/sdb4(home).

Thanks for the response, smile.

Board footer